• Black Canary

9 8.91%
  • Ra's al Ghul

1 0.99%
  • Jason Todd

5 4.95%
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    That doesn't really change the argument much, featherweight Mixed Martial Artists could not feasibly defeat elite Heavyweights.
    I think it would depend on the kind of fight and the fighter.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    True, but that can also be said of the male characters in the DCU.
    Then it probably comes down to other factors in my opinion.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

It's not a sexist attitude, either. As pointed out yesterday, a featherweight boxer, however skilled he is, would have zip/zero/nada chance against a heavyweight (and a featherweight is still bigger than your average woman).
    That's not actually correct, though.

There's a video out there on the internet of a sparing match between Connor McGregor (elite fighter, not really big) and The Mountain from GoT (trained fighter, as big and strong as one can get).

Few minutes in, The Mountain is just too tired to continue, while Connor taunts him.

And I don't think you're wrong: size does matter here. But it's far from THE decisive factor.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    That's not actually correct, though.

There's a video out there on the internet of a sparing match between Connor McGregor (elite fighter, not really big) and The Mountain from GoT (trained fighter, as big and strong as one can get).

Few minutes in, The Mountain is just too tired to continue, while Connor taunts him.

And I don't think you're wrong: size does matter here. But it's far from THE decisive factor.
    The Mountrain isn't a professional fighter, McGregor is. The right comparison would be Connor vs. Francis Ngannou.
    I think I know how that fight would go.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

I'm taking a character's weighted canonical average
    Well myself

I'm just looking at this from what's on the comic pages because most of the over the top feats these characters have done aren't realistic for the men or the women.
    Its the Bat.

He's DC's poster boy fighting Evil Space Gods with martial arts and gadgets. Its not even Ironman level gadgets its seriously pop culture ninja gear.
    Ninja stars/Boomerangs, Smoke grenades, grappling hooks, misdirection... guy doesn't even have an indestructible shield. That.... pisses a lot of people off, and here on the boards
    people especially seem to HATE it, but all those ridiculous stupid Bat-feats that we like to ignore or hand wave or laugh at?
    He's still doing it. He's not likely to stop. Even when they did the Nu52, even when we read Bat-metal or whatever that books is being called now he's still off punching gods in the face and since
    he's on the trinity is very unlikely to stop.

That being said. . . what I'd REALLY like to see is "Who is the best pound-per-pound fighter sans Bruce Wayne"

Which I really think would be Lady Shiva but... I don't like using the "most recent showings" or weighing them more heavily because

https://www.cbr.com/harley-quinn-fig...-batman-level/ here's superman about Harley Quin: "She's good. As good as you"

and then theres Catwoman beating what 3 flashes?

Yes. Uh-huh. Yes. I know. I'm aware of that yes...
    ... right....

Objections noted but that being said you kind of have to just feel out what characters are really about until Dc issues a statement like:
    "Worlds 3rd smartest man" etc.
    other than that...

I'm gonna just go with who most often uses their martial arts to punch out of their league.

because even if there's a book that came out yesterday where Lady Shiva curb stomps batman... thats just one dude, but she's not going to be dodging Omega Beams next week.
    Nor is Richard Dragon (who I rather like quite a lot) going to be kicking the Specter in the face, though thats what I want him to do.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Then it probably comes down to other factors in my opinion.
    But can you think of any real-world examples of that, Frontier? If there is one, then I'll change my opinion.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    The Mountrain isn't a professional fighter, McGregor is. The right comparison would be Connor vs. Francis Ngannou.
    Yes, a skilled and in-shape woman could do a lot of damage to an untrained man, regardless of his size. I wouldn't want to tangle with one, that's for sure.

But can you think of any real-world examples of that, Frontier? If there is one, then I'll change my opinion.
    I'm not into real world fighting, so nothing quite comes to mind .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm not into real world fighting, so kind of outside my expertise .
    Since I haven't had a fight since Grease was the word myself, same here.

These lists mean very little except for hype
    In fact since the kung fu craze has sort of waned for a lot of the denny o'neil characters its all they have left

I don't think anyone on the Bat family should be in a top 10 list especially since their skills derive from Bruce who is diluting so many different styles into something else

Cass is a borderline meta human so her status should be similar to karate kid. An auto scratch for this type of discussion

We haven't even touched on how bad DC powerscaling is

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Well myself
    Objections noted but that being said you kind of have to just feel out what characters are really about until Dc issues a statement like:
    "Worlds 3rd smartest man" etc.
    other than that...
    About that...
    I think it was also stated that Mister Terrific was lying. He just doesn't want the attention he'd get if he claimed to be smartest.
    So it's basically impossible to figure any tier list out for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    These lists mean very little except for hype
    I always assume Batman is going to win 9 out of 10 times against anyone based on his popularity, anyway.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    because even if there's a book that came out yesterday where Lady Shiva curb stomps batman... thats just one dude, but she's not going to be dodging Omega Beams next week.
    Nor is Richard Dragon (who I rather like quite a lot) going to be kicking the Specter in the face, though thats what I want him to do.
    I any way not sure if one should really put these characters on these lists.

I mean Richard Dragon spend basically (I think with exception of one fight in Birds of Prey) the whole post COIE-continuity meditating in a cabin in the woods, and Bronze Tiger has also barely done anything since the early 90s.

I also don't really get why people keep putting characters like Natas or Archer Braun on these lists, those guys were one of characters that never appeared outside of a single story, and there are probaly few other top martial Artists like those guy around that just appeared in one story and have fallen into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I any way not sure if one should really put these characters on these lists.

I mean Richard Dragon spend basically (I think with exception of one fight in Birds of Prey) the whole post COIE-continuity meditating in a cabin in the woods, and Bronze Tiger has also barely done anything since the early 90s.
    I recall Batman and Dragon fighting to a draw pre-COIE, FWIW.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    The skill gap between Mountain and Connor is pretty much the skill gap between Cass or Shiva and Bats, though.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    The skill gap between Mountain and Connor is pretty much the skill gap between Cass or Shiva and Bats, though.
    Nah. Mountain is a zero on the fighter scale, while Babs is at least good (though not nearly as good as Cass or Shiva).