Incredible Member

Default Doom Patrol Comic

How can DC be foolish enough to have a hit TV show based on a comic they no longer produce? Deadline issues aside, I enjoyed Way’s version.

Haven't seen the show so I don't know how much it owes specifically to the Young Animal version vs. previous runs over the past +/-58 years.

And if the comic book isn't selling well enough, or if the creators producing it aren't really interested in creating more issues on a regular basis, it may not be worth it to DC to keep publishing it. Also, it takes a lot of time to pitch and get approval on a TV show, not to mention the time it takes to produce each episode. A comic book can easily get cancelled during that period of time.

Way's version was one of the best since Morrison. With the Giffen run being the other.

I think Giffen's run was the best at solidifying the continuity between the Silver Age version and the Morrison version. I think Way's was the best to explore the next chapter of the team, with that history still meaning something.

The best thing about both Way's and Giffen's runs was that neither one was a reboot or invalidated Morrison's run, or even the original '60s run.

The team had finally gained some stability and their past meant something.

So, naturally, DC is likely waiting for the show to end so they can reboot the team with Harley Quinn, Ambush Bug, Lobo, 'Mazing Man and Heckler.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I think DC knows a monthly comic mostly would appeal to comic book people (or not) regardless of the show. But since the show is mostly based on Morrison's run, those trades are always available for purchase.

Unless they just didn't anticipate the delays but aren't interested in putting something out just to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Way's version was one of the best since Morrison. With the Giffen run being the other.

I think Giffen's run was the best at solidifying the continuity between the Silver Age version and the Morrison version. I think Way's was the best to explore the next chapter of the team, with that history still meaning something.

The best thing about both Way's and Giffen's runs was that neither one was a reboot or invalidated Morrison's run, or even the original '60s run.

The team had finally gained some stability and their past meant something.

So, naturally, DC is likely waiting for the show to end so they can reboot the team with Harley Quinn, Ambush Bug, Lobo, 'Mazing Man and Heckler.
    Way and Giffen's runs are definitely legitimate second and thirds (you decide which is which) to Morrison's run. One would hope that if DP would return, it would be with a suitably weird flavor. But Harley is everywhere. I will state that any Giffen use of Ambush Bug would be a must buy for me.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Way and Giffen's runs are definitely legitimate second and thirds (you decide which is which) to Morrison's run. One would hope that if DP would return, it would be with a suitably weird flavor. But Harley is everywhere. I will state that any Giffen use of Ambush Bug would be a must buy for me.
    I'll second the notion of Way and Giffen's runs being danged good successors to Morrison's. Both did an admirable job of piling mythology on top of mythology, rather than hamfistedly sweeping it all away (Byrne) or munging it eight ways to Sunday (like whatever the heck was happening at the start of the New 52). Also, both runs went out of their way NOT to gratuitously kill existing characters that people liked (Arcudi). Also, both runs, especially Way's, continued to lean into the core idea of the Doom Patrol - a team/family of weird, freakish, even broken people facing weird/freakish/broken enemies/crises.

Pretty people with powers is not the Doom Patrol - that's the X-Men. If you try to turn the Doom Patrol into the X-Men, you're doing it wrong.

How were Kupperberg's and Pollack's runs?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    How were Kupperberg's and Pollack's runs?
    Kupperberg's runs weren't bad, really... but they weren't great. He introduced a lot of characters (Tempest, Negative Woman, Celcius, Karma, Lodestone, Scott Fisher, Dorothy Spinner) but, with the exception of Spinner (who was supposed to be a throwaway), Kupperberg's Doom Patrol always felt like it had X-Men envy. It was just another team of "pretty people with powers."

Pollack's run, on the other hand, arguably tacked too hard in the other direction. I give it lots of points for trying strange things, but I was mostly befuddled by it. I probably should give it a re-read though... it's been a couple of decades and I'm less, um, dim, than I used to be.