Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    As long as you don't try to re-write history like F4ntastic cuz that was stupid.

Yet The Avengers are all their original races and nothing bad happened.
    Nick Fury -> Ultimate Nick Fury for movie adaptation.

The SJW haters would bitch and moan about it but eventually we would move on.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

If Jean Grey is not a red-haired white woman, is she even recognizable? She doesn't have any other features to distinguish her visually (like, say, a visor, wings, or adamantium claws).

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagnus View Post
    THE OG5 are tooo White to sell them this times.
    Good thing they have no reason to use that team as the original X-men team, just like the original formation of the Avengers in the MCU- entirely made of white people- was a team that had never been used in the comics.

Yes don't use the 05. It's boring team and none of the core story-lines are from that era.

If they have to start from the basics, there is always the ultimate team, which is almost as white but does have Storm at least. Though honestly an MCU version of the ANAD team would be awesome to see and is diverse. Though for the MCU version, I would keep Sunfire on the team. John... his death is iconic, but personally I would move up James introduction because he is one of the few prominent Native American characters in comics. (outside of Dani and Forge)

IMO there really isn't a need to race swap when they are plenty of POC characters in the X-mythos which they can include and rise to prominence.

One thing I do hope they do is introduce Kwannon as Psylocke that joins near or around the same time as Betsy. Betsy can then assume or is introduced as Captain Britain. So we never get that body swap mess in the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Some people would gripe. Other people would defend it. Everyone would get over it. But if we’re race-bending characters, especially the all-white O5, I think there are better choices. Cyclops and Iceman are the two I would look at for that.

Scott Summers could easily be Hispanic in my opinion. Corsair (or his mother) could be Hispanic. Or both. Makes sense. Lots of Hispanics in the U.S. Armed Forces, and Corsair was a Major in the Air Force. Wouldn’t change the core of the character in my view to make him Latino or half-Latino.

Iceman is another one. Would making him Black change anything about him really? Not sure we’ve had a gay, Black character in the X-men yet. Unless I missed it. Maybe Northstar’s husband, but he’s not a mutant or an X-man.

I could even make the case for Beast over Jean Grey (and over Warren, whose whiteness and privilege are kind of core to his character and also to his descent into darkness as the Angel of Death/Archangel, which is an important arc for him). But there are issues with making a character who is blue all the time a minority. I get that. However, I could see him as a big, strong Samoan American pretty easily.

Just my $.02.
    For Cyclops my preferred change (if any) is Tlingit or other Alaskan First Nation - it ties Scott to his home state, non-Inuit northern natives are not highly represented in media (I can't think of ANY representation in visual media off the top of my head), and could be an interesting journey of discovery for the character to take, especially if he is unaware of that part of his heritage due to growing up in the orphanage. He was able to meet his grandparents eventually in the comics, which provides the way in for that possibility.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    The problem comes in when the duality of thought equals everyone should look the same. There is no reason why so many works have characters of one color as though they can only fit the role. There is nothing about Jean Grey that says she had to be white when created or Iceman or Cyclops. So isn't it on the writer for not making that apart of them by showing us their culture. When it comes to black characters or other characters of color that culture is usually tied to them before they are created.

Well, they certainly had different experiences because they were white. Changing their race really wouldn't improve them. It would certainly lead to an opportunity to alter their character/experiences perhaps, but part of their culture is already rooted in the lack of experiencing some appearance based discrimination. Changing that, in my opinion removes part of the diversity between some of the X-Men.

Also, with such a huge cast of characters, it might be better to promote other, more diverse, characters instead. Despite what they might do in the movies, Jean would still be a white woman in the comics.

Either way, I'm more concerned about the writing if anything. Marvel will do what they want, I just hope it's good.
    Last edited by TheDeadSpace; 01-20-2021 at 09:28 AM.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Shitstorm is what happens. Enough with the redhead erasure, go racebend a blonde for a change!

I'm not for or against changing Jean but movies are made from scripts not comic books. Those scripts are then developed into whoever is adapting it mind to tell the story based on how they visualize it.

If you read a character breakdown that reads:

White haired Daughter of a black American photojournalist and an African princess from Kenya who descends from an ancient line of african priestesses , Ororo (in africa means beautiful) Munroe Controls the weather.

vs.

Red Headed daughter of a house wife and a Professor in NYC, Jean Grey developed telepathic powers witnessing the death of her closet friend.

I mean one leaves the imagination open to go a little left. Thats on what was written.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Shitstorm is what happens. Enough with the redhead erasure, go racebend a blonde for a change!
    Red hair isn't a race. There are red heads of all races.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Completely unnecesary and tone-deaf IMO. They already have Storm as mentioned and if they want to add another black female, there are others like Monet, Oya, Cecilia, etc... Race changing significant characters is a way to have false diversity. Why not try elevating the ones that already exist. As a black person, I would be offended. The actual black characters would benefit from a movie push. Jean Grey doesnt need it and making her black does nothing for actual black characters. She would take away from them

BANNED

??? How are they erasing redhairs??? You thik they are purposefully recasting redheads in an effort to what? make it seem like redhair people dont exist??

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Red hair isn't a race. There are red heads of all races.
    And when was the last time a racebent redhead got to keep his/her hair colour?

BANNED

? I wouldn't know, I specifically don't watch movies with redheads so that in my mind, they dont actually exist.

BANNED

The answer is ariel btw.