Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 187
  1. #76
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    187

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    For the love of God, leave characters ethnicities alone. If you really want a diverse cast, pick diverse characters. No need to change existing ones.
    **Nervous** See Lightning Lad, Wally West, Starfire and Jimmy Olsen.

  2. #77
    Astonishing Member Killerbee911's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4,124

    Default

    So here is the cycle

    -- Some fans "Hey you need to be diverse." Nothing happens
    - A movie is being release- Most Fans you need to use the "classic characters" the fan favorites
    -The movie is pressured to use the fan favorites and plus that is the core properties and concept
    -Movies still realize hey we have to be diverse, Movie tries to make the best of both world decision by making a character a minority (The character is never one of the most popular, just small enough for change not to matter but big enough to be noticed)
    -Fans get on forums complain about how they are changing character race forgetting they are ones who are freaking complain about them using smaller character instead of "the favorites"
    -Fans have the nerve to say they should just use minority characters they have already, when they are the problem they are who is complaining about change.
    -- Some fans "Hey you need to be diverse" Nothing happens

    Example I remember some people saying that Mile Morales should be Spiderman in the MCU. Which is met by "NOOOOOO you have to start with Peter Parker". Flash Forward today some of those same fans " I hate IronBoy opps I mean MCU Peter Parker". You know what spiderman character was a part of the Avengers, Has a superhero mentors, Didn't really build his suit, Has great school setting and diverse cast of friends you can play around including a fat Asian nerd friend. Miles Morales

    The point is you could never convince the large fanbase that Miles should have been direction to go and reality is Miles would have been a better choice than Peter for the MCU, You are never going to convince the larger fan base that you need to dump Kitty, Colossus, Beast, Iceman, Angel, Rogue to introduce some of the other diverse characters. Those fans only care about diversity when it is one of core characters race being talked changed. Other than that they will complain at every turn about changing replacing of classic characters.

    You didn't complain about make up of X-men Gold, You didn't complain about the make up Rosenberg Uncanny, You didn't complain make up of current X-force. You didn't complain when they kept using Betsy Braddock as Asian Representation, You didn't complain about all times X-men put a team with one token racial minority and every else is white. But at threat one of character being changed to minority your voice works to complain. If you guys complain as hard over lack of diversity on teams as did about racebending they would never be any racebending .

    Wolverine represent the most well known character in the franchise , Cyclops is one of most popular characters and a key figure in most runs, Storm represent one of most popular characters and is most prominent minority character. Nobody else should get any priority so why is racebending a topic when X-men have such a large pool characters because the fanbase believes Jean Grey, Kitty, Colossus, Beast, Iceman, Angel, Rogue ,Nightcrawler, Gambit, Besty Braddock plus supplemental character like Banshee, Dazzler, Havok, Polaris, Cable, Emma Frost, Rachel, Magik should all be given some sort of priority. That is one racial minority character out of 20 characters.

    Now there is Bishop, Jubilee, Forge, Sunfire, Warpath/Thunderbird, Kwannon ( and Maggot, Celia Reyes, Sway and Darwin) as options as well but only Bishop and Kwannon from that group is real options. If X-men on the big screen was something like Wolverine, Cyclops, Storm, Bishop, Kwannon, Iceman, Jean Grey and Forge. We all know how salty fans would be going "where is Nightcrawler, Colossus, Rogue" "You are using Kwannon over Betsy" etc. Now if you did Cyclops, Jean Grey, Beast, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Iceman, Kitty and Storm. The reaction would be different yes they would still complaints for their favorite being out but since there is no obvious wtf choices like Kwannon or Forge most fans would be less annoyed. That is the problem fan will complain as much about changing classic characters for small characters maybe as much as racebending
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-21-2021 at 12:02 AM.

  3. #78
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    42

    Default

    They should start with the 05 being rescued by the new xmen like in giant size. They should make some of characters trans and disabled.

  4. #79
    Astonishing Member ChronoRogue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    So here is the cycle

    -- Some fans "Hey you need to be diverse." Nothing happens
    - A movie is being release- Most Fans you need to use the "classic characters" the fan favorites
    -The movie is pressured to use the fan favorites and plus that is the core properties and concept
    -Movies still realize hey we have to be diverse, Movie tries to make the best of both world decision by making a character a minority (The character is never one of the most popular, just small enough for change not to matter but big enough to be noticed)
    -Fans get on forums complain about how they are changing character race forgetting they are ones who are freaking complain about them using smaller character instead of "the favorites"
    -Fans have the nerve to say they should just use minority characters they have already, when they are the problem they are who is complaining about change.
    -- Some fans "Hey you need to be diverse" Nothing happens

    Example I remember some people saying that Mile Morales should be Spiderman in the MCU. Which is met by "NOOOOOO you have to start with Peter Parker". Flash Forward today some of those same fans " I hate IronBoy opps I mean MCU Peter Parker". You know what spiderman character was a part of the Avengers, Has a superhero mentors, Didn't really build his suit, Has great school setting and diverse cast of friends you can play around including a fat Asian nerd friend. Miles Morales

    The point is you could never convince the large fanbase that Miles should have been direction to go and reality is Miles would have been a better choice than Peter for the MCU, You are never going to convince the larger fan base that you need to dump Kitty, Colossus, Beast, Iceman, Angel, Rogue to introduce some of the other diverse characters. Those fans only care about diversity when it is one of core characters race being talked changed. Other than that they will complain at every turn about changing replacing of classic characters.

    You didn't complain about make up of X-men Gold, You didn't complain about the make up Rosenberg Uncanny, You didn't complain make up of current X-force. You didn't complain when they kept using Betsy Braddock as Asian Representation, You didn't complain about all times X-men put a team with one token racial minority and every else is white. But at threat one of character being changed to minority your voice works to complain. If you guys complain as hard over lack of diversity on teams as did about racebending they would never be any racebending .

    Wolverine represent the most well known character in the franchise , Cyclops is one of most popular characters and a key figure in most runs, Storm represent one of most popular characters and is most prominent minority character. Nobody else should get any priority so why is racebending a topic when X-men have such a large pool characters because the fanbase believes Jean Grey, Kitty, Colossus, Beast, Iceman, Angel, Rogue ,Nightcrawler, Gambit, Besty Braddock plus supplemental character like Banshee, Dazzler, Havok, Polaris, Cable, Emma Frost, Rachel, Magik should all be given some sort of priority. That is one racial minority character out of 20 characters.

    Now there is Bishop, Jubilee, Forge, Sunfire, Warpath/Thunderbird, Kwannon ( and Maggot, Celia Reyes, Sway and Darwin) as options as well but only Bishop and Kwannon from that group is real options. If X-men on the big screen was something like Wolverine, Cyclops, Storm, Bishop, Kwannon, Iceman, Jean Grey and Forge. We all know how salty fans would be going "where is Nightcrawler, Colossus, Rogue" "You are using Kwannon over Betsy" etc. Now if you did Cyclops, Jean Grey, Beast, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Iceman, Kitty and Storm. The reaction would be different yes they would still complaints for their favorite being out but since there is no obvious wtf choices like Kwannon or Forge most fans would be less annoyed. That is the problem fan will complain as much about changing classic characters for small characters maybe as much as racebending
    What cycle is this? The only significant race-bending the MCU has done is with Nick Fury (who is basically his Ultimate version) and Valkyrie. I would argue the MCU has basically done what the X-Men need to do in terms of introducing diverisity. Elevate C and D list characters by treating them as important. No one knew Black Panther, Falcon or War Machine before the MCU movies.

    People did complain about these things. Storm being basically the only significant POC characters for decades and even she herself not getting any focus has been major problems in the X-books for a long time. Rosenberg and Gold were criticized for a whole swath of things and it's boring and non-inclusive roster were just one of the complaints.

    As far as there been a ton of characters in the X-books and every fanbase complaining about getting screen-time, sure, that's going to happen. But as long as the MCU is able to balance out the cast like the Russo brothers were able to do in Civil War and spread the attention around through multiple films and mediums, I think they'll eventually find a comprise and most fans will shut up.

  5. #80
    Incredible Member Psy-lock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLimboBabies View Post
    They should start with the 05 being rescued by the new xmen like in giant size. They should make some of characters trans and disabled.
    Why? They already have the most iconic disabled character ever.

  6. #81
    C&D was my gateway From The Shadows's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The New York alley...
    Posts
    3,604

    Default

    What's diversity gonna do if the black Jean idea is just gonna be the black version from the movie in the end... And believe me she will? It WONT ever transfer to the comic. Never has and never will and when a kid who related to that POC version see's a white face what will happens? I mean when the FF was released with the black Torch most YT Comic loving channels gave a huge long history with his WHITE self. People on forums and off still talk/act/know as if Johnny is WHITE. No one cares about that film in any long lasting effect even now. It's been that way with all characters. I know what you're saying the mainstream don't read comics but that isn't always the case BUT even when it is they still know human torch is a white guy. That says something. I wont point out Wyat Wingfoot, Black Panther and Luke Cage for that Franchise either in POC or more diverse women that was outside Sue "mom" role that is She-Hulk and Frankie Ray. Well The X-Men were tons more than that with diversity with women and POC. Lets ask this... what made an impact? Black Panther? Or the black Torch? Also there were already a ton of films revealed to the mainsteam that Jean Grey is a white woman. Too late. And whitening Jean isn't needed.

    Now how about we focus the movies on Storm?
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 01-21-2021 at 12:51 AM.
    The (old) Hank McCoy thread.

    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...on-Thread-2020

    Interested in knowing more about Balder?

    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...on-Thread-2020

  7. #82
    Ultimate Member Wiccan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    11,863

    Default

    I feel like it would be kinda stepping on Storm's toes. She deserves to be the first and undoubtedly most important black woman in the X-Men. If they want Jean to be a WOC, they could make her asian or latina etc.

  8. #83
    Smart & Swift & Violent Kitty&Piotr<3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    1,434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    What's diversity gonna do if the black Jean idea is just gonna be the black version from the movie in the end... And believe me she will? It WONT ever transfer to the comic. Never has and never will and when a kid who related to that POC version see's a white face what will happens? I mean when the FF was released with the black Torch most YT Comic loving channels gave a huge long history with his WHITE self. People on forums and off still talk/act/know as if Johnny is WHITE. No one cares about that film in any long lasting effect even now. It's been that way with all characters. I know what you're saying the mainstream don't read comics but that isn't always the case BUT even when it is they still know human torch is a white guy. That says something. I wont point out Wyat Wingfoot, Black Panther and Luke Cage for that Franchise either in POC or more diverse women that was outside Sue "mom" role that is She-Hulk and Frankie Ray. Well The X-Men were tons more than that with diversity with women and POC. Lets ask this... what made an impact? Black Panther? Or the black Torch? Also there were already a ton of films revealed to the mainsteam that Jean Grey is a white woman. Too late. And whitening Jean isn't needed.

    Now how about we focus the movies on Storm?
    It's all in the execution because 616 Samuel L. Jackson says hi.
    "Cyclops loves wilted roses because they remind him of dead redheads."
    -Gail

  9. #84
    Astonishing Member Killerbee911's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4,124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    . I would argue the MCU has basically done what the X-Men need to do in terms of introducing diverisity.
    .
    You would argue that? Black Panther as 1 minority lead movie in 20 years. Avengers in 2012 the movie had an all white team. But before you go "hey that is the classic characters" Hawkeye and Black Widow aren't original members. Since this not Avengers thread I won't go any further. MCU is doing now years later what they could have done before they aren't a shinning example of what should been done but hey at least they are doing good now.

    Again a little more simple The cycle is this

    You create original character they complain we want old concept, why are you giving us characters we don't want
    You create a legacy minority character they complain we want old concept, why are you giving us characters we don't want
    So then you race bend a original character why are race bending character give us original characters or characters we already have around

    Comic does try to give us diverse options and as fans we do have to take some responsibility for the product they push at us. Clearly this does not apply to every fan and yes they are fans who do complain onside of thing I said but the cycle is reason why after years we see no progress forward. And the "natural process" of pushing minority character takes years there is a reason why Storm, Bishop and Asian Betsy breakthrough as legit X-characters and there is nobody else until recently. It takes years for these stubborn fans to include characters into their circle of "classic" characters and break the cycle.

    The threat of race bending is the only time you see some fans go "Oh yeah they are minority characters, maybe it would be good idea to use them prominent roles". It takes hey maybe Cyclops should be Latino/Inuit for a group of people to realize Sunspot or Sunfire should be push forward. Even Hickman who is pretty good at pushing minority characters forward still has Cyclops, Magneto, Emma Frost, Xavier, Moria, Wolverine, Jean Grey, Kitty(and Apocalypse) as the focus of the X-men.

    I am just point out the fact, when the topic isn't talk about in this context. Most fans are going "Sunfire or Forge?" No give me Angel, Beast, Nightcrawler, or Colossus. Comics fans are super traditionalist "Classic Characters" will always beat out diversity until they are force to pick between seeing their beloved classic characters changed.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-21-2021 at 04:23 AM.

  10. #85
    Astonishing Member ChronoRogue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    You would argue that? Black Panther as 1 minority lead movie in 20 years. Avengers in 2012 the movie had an all white team. But before you go "hey that is the classic characters" Hawkeye and Black Widow aren't original members. Since this not Avengers thread I won't go any further. MCU is doing now years later what they could have done before they aren't a shinning example of what should been done but hey at least they are doing good now.
    And when did the X-Men (or any DC films) had a minority lead? You are not giving them enough credit. Also I would argue the real debut of the Avengers start in 2012, the Iron Man films laid the ground work but the studio was basically still on it's baby legs.

    So yes, I would argue that the movie franchise that launched a billion dollar making POC solo film and debuted a black character as a central character in another major crossover (Civil War) is doing well.
    Again The cycle is this

    You create original character they complain we want old concept, why are you giving us characters we don't want
    You create a legacy minority character they complain we want old concept, why are you giving us characters we don't want
    So then you race bend a original character why are race bending character give us original characters or characters we already have around
    Everyone complains when new characters are created because the MU is very saturated. But guess what? People complained when the ANAD characters got introduced too. People will get over it.

    Legacy characters in general are meh despite how much DC loves them.

    Again, there is a wide variety of established POC in X-Men lore. I'm not seeing an argument against using existing or established POC characters and elevating them in the movies. It worked for the MCU, I do not see why it won't work for the X-Men.

    Comic does try to give us diverse options and as fans we do have to take some responsibility for the product they push at us. Clearly this does not apply to every fan yes they are fans who do complain onside of thing I said but the cycle is reason why after years we see no progress forward. And the "natural process" of pushing minority character takes years there is a reason why Storm, Bishop and Asian Betsy breakthrough as legit X-characters and there is nobody else until recently. It takes years for these stubborn fans to include characters into their circle of "classic" characters and break the cycle.
    Part of it is the fans yes, but I think writers (and Marvel to an extent itself) holds most of the responsibility here. They think just adding one POC member to the cast and they're done, no other developments necessary. It's been changing but for a long time it was clear that was their attitude.

    Marvel needs to do better and make POC matter to stories and actually hire writers interested in developing them. If white writers won't do it, then hire more POC to get a different POV. Whatever opinion people may have on Coates and BP writers who take an interest Storm; no one on the X-Office has been willing to take time to actually develop her for decades. When the Schism conflict should've been between Cyclops and Storm, they gave it to Wolverine. It's honestly been such a bad time to be a Storm fan until recently. And that's not the fans fault, that's the writers.

    Case and point; I doubt anyone at Marvel had a gun to CCs head and forced him to make Storm such a central and focused characters in the 80s. That was all him. I completely blame the writers (and again, Marvel) for letting POC characters fall to the wayside.

    The threat of race bending is the only time you see some fans go "Oh yeah they are minority characters, maybe it would be good idea to use them prominent roles". It takes hey maybe Cyclops should be Latino/Inuit for a group of people to realize Sunspot or Sunfire should be push forward. Even Hickman who is pretty good at pushing minority characters forward still has Cyclops, Magneto, Emma Frost, Xavier, Moria, Wolverine, Jean Grey, Kitty(and Apocalypse) as the focus of the X-men.

    I am just point out the fact, when the topic isn't talk about in this content. Most fans are going "Sunfire or Forge?" No give me Angel, Beast, Nightcrawler, or Colossus. Comics fans are super traditionalist "Classic Characters" will always beat out diversity until they are force to pick between seeing their beloved classic characters changed.
    Cyclops, Emma and all you mentioned are characters in positions of power but the teams themselves in this era have become drastically more diverse than previous runs.

    Excalibur had Jubilee, Rictor and Apocalypse
    X-Factor has Prodigy and Daken.
    Hellions has Kwannon (leader) and Greycrow.
    S.W.O.R.D. has Manifold, Frenzy, and Wiz-Kid.
    New Mutants has Moonstar (leader), Karma and Warpath.

    Outside of Marauders and X-Force, the casts have much more POC characters.

    And people are praising most of these casts left and right, though individual opinions on the actual writing for some have soured. Did you have people still asking what Nightcrawler was up to and why didn't Angel feature on a roster? Sure. But you also had people asking about Monet and for Sunspot to get back from bothering Cannonball in space and onto a team. I think this era is doing a lot to endear people to wider range of characters than the usual Legacy (and mostly white) cast.

    And to be fair, I honestly don't think Angel, Beast or even Colossus are more popular than some of the POC characters you mentioned. I would bet Sunspot and Monet would beat them in current polls (at least among people who actually read comics). And for people who don't, that's why you elevate them in the MCU, for exposure.

  11. #86
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    So here is the cycle

    -- Some fans "Hey you need to be diverse." Nothing happens
    - A movie is being release- Most Fans you need to use the "classic characters" the fan favorites
    -The movie is pressured to use the fan favorites and plus that is the core properties and concept
    -Movies still realize hey we have to be diverse, Movie tries to make the best of both world decision by making a character a minority (The character is never one of the most popular, just small enough for change not to matter but big enough to be noticed)
    -Fans get on forums complain about how they are changing character race forgetting they are ones who are freaking complain about them using smaller character instead of "the favorites"
    -Fans have the nerve to say they should just use minority characters they have already, when they are the problem they are who is complaining about change.
    -- Some fans "Hey you need to be diverse" Nothing happens

    Example I remember some people saying that Mile Morales should be Spiderman in the MCU. Which is met by "NOOOOOO you have to start with Peter Parker". Flash Forward today some of those same fans " I hate IronBoy opps I mean MCU Peter Parker". You know what spiderman character was a part of the Avengers, Has a superhero mentors, Didn't really build his suit, Has great school setting and diverse cast of friends you can play around including a fat Asian nerd friend. Miles Morales

    The point is you could never convince the large fanbase that Miles should have been direction to go and reality is Miles would have been a better choice than Peter for the MCU, You are never going to convince the larger fan base that you need to dump Kitty, Colossus, Beast, Iceman, Angel, Rogue to introduce some of the other diverse characters. Those fans only care about diversity when it is one of core characters race being talked changed. Other than that they will complain at every turn about changing replacing of classic characters.

    You didn't complain about make up of X-men Gold, You didn't complain about the make up Rosenberg Uncanny, You didn't complain make up of current X-force. You didn't complain when they kept using Betsy Braddock as Asian Representation, You didn't complain about all times X-men put a team with one token racial minority and every else is white. But at threat one of character being changed to minority your voice works to complain. If you guys complain as hard over lack of diversity on teams as did about racebending they would never be any racebending .

    Wolverine represent the most well known character in the franchise , Cyclops is one of most popular characters and a key figure in most runs, Storm represent one of most popular characters and is most prominent minority character. Nobody else should get any priority so why is racebending a topic when X-men have such a large pool characters because the fanbase believes Jean Grey, Kitty, Colossus, Beast, Iceman, Angel, Rogue ,Nightcrawler, Gambit, Besty Braddock plus supplemental character like Banshee, Dazzler, Havok, Polaris, Cable, Emma Frost, Rachel, Magik should all be given some sort of priority. That is one racial minority character out of 20 characters.

    Now there is Bishop, Jubilee, Forge, Sunfire, Warpath/Thunderbird, Kwannon ( and Maggot, Celia Reyes, Sway and Darwin) as options as well but only Bishop and Kwannon from that group is real options. If X-men on the big screen was something like Wolverine, Cyclops, Storm, Bishop, Kwannon, Iceman, Jean Grey and Forge. We all know how salty fans would be going "where is Nightcrawler, Colossus, Rogue" "You are using Kwannon over Betsy" etc. Now if you did Cyclops, Jean Grey, Beast, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Iceman, Kitty and Storm. The reaction would be different yes they would still complaints for their favorite being out but since there is no obvious wtf choices like Kwannon or Forge most fans would be less annoyed. That is the problem fan will complain as much about changing classic characters for small characters maybe as much as racebending
    Pretty much, that's why i find it funny and not genuine. "they should start with the o5" no they shouldn't they white, and what they just did was create five white xmen by saying lets go with the 05. So if they want to create new characters they better be careful what they wish for when it comes to adapting fiction, especially characters who story can be used without there ever being a hint. Some might want they jean white but how will they feel if the new character they create is Jeanna Rodriguez, and they give her telepathy and telekinesis, well we all know fans are going to show out and have a heart attack like they did when they made a black MJ in spiderman. I haven't heard her called mary jane once but you can't tell the haters of color that's not who she is.


    Or when black people in the comic are drawn or colored to look white it doesnt seem to bother them or take them out the story but translating fiction to "real life" it's unacceptable. I guess they didn't see any of those movies that race bent entire groups like Gods of Egypt, etc. I remember around that time too people acting like "whats the big deal".
    Last edited by jwatson; 01-21-2021 at 04:32 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

  12. #87
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    3,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    What cycle is this? The only significant race-bending the MCU has done is with Nick Fury (who is basically his Ultimate version) and Valkyrie. I would argue the MCU has basically done what the X-Men need to do in terms of introducing diverisity. Elevate C and D list characters by treating them as important. No one knew Black Panther, Falcon or War Machine before the MCU movies.

    People did complain about these things. Storm being basically the only significant POC characters for decades and even she herself not getting any focus has been major problems in the X-books for a long time. Rosenberg and Gold were criticized for a whole swath of things and it's boring and non-inclusive roster were just one of the complaints.

    As far as there been a ton of characters in the X-books and every fanbase complaining about getting screen-time, sure, that's going to happen. But as long as the MCU is able to balance out the cast like the Russo brothers were able to do in Civil War and spread the attention around through multiple films and mediums, I think they'll eventually find a comprise and most fans will shut up.
    They also changed Heimdell and arguably “MJ” as well. I won’t count “Liz” and Ghost.

  13. #88
    Astonishing Member ChronoRogue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    They also changed Heimdell and arguably “MJ” as well. I won’t count “Liz” and Ghost.
    I don't think Heimdell is a very significant character and while I'll give you "MJ", the Spider-Man films are half-Marvel and half-Sony so I don't really know whose decision MJs casting was.

  14. #89
    Incredible Member DarkMagnus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Chile
    Posts
    767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    As long as you don't try to re-write history like F4ntastic cuz that was stupid.



    Yet The Avengers are all their original races and nothing bad happened.
    Well Thor and Nat are foreigners. Fury was potrayed by Samuel L Jackson.

  15. #90
    Astonishing Member Killerbee911's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4,124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    And when did the X-Men (or any DC films) had a minority lead? You are not giving them enough credit. Also I would argue the real debut of the Avengers start in 2012, the Iron Man films laid the ground work but the studio was basically still on it's baby legs.

    .
    Blade for marvel, Catwoman for DC. Why should I give them credit for actually going backwards?

    I get your points, In some ways I am preaching to choir to you. I am trying to explain the frustrating experience of coming a thread like this seeing every one say yes let use these wonderful diverse characters then every where else you see the push for "Classic" or "popular" when even at times they aren't that popular.

    The biggest problem might be what I touched on, comics are diverse more than they have ever been and X-men books recently are killing with diverse roster but what makes characters iconic or main stays? Being used in Iconic stories. Who is remember in those stories? the lead characters the ones with importance. What are the biggest stories over last couple years

    1. E for Extinction- Morrison Run
    2. Gifted- Joss Whedon Run
    3. Messiah Complex-Various writers
    4. HoXPoX- Hickman
    5 AvX-Various writers

    And I am just explaining why I seem harsh on diversity. If characters don't get used in big stories they don't get elevated and don't show up frequently in books later. The one character in recent years isn't from big names that is almost one now is Magik. Magik elevation as character can be traced to being used AvX and then stories after that. Another character that is getting elevated like crazy is Cypher and we should see it pay off over the next few years. The point is being used in big stories makes other writers use in big stories which is why it is important to note that Cyclops, Magneto, Emma Frost, Xavier, Moria, Wolverine, Jean Grey, Kitty as the focus of the X-men. Could you imagine if Bishop was captain commander instead of Cyclops? Could you imagine if Sunspot was on the council get all these great interactions with the major players? Could you imagine if Forge was in charge of X-force instead of Beast? what if Monet was in charge of the Marauders instead of Kitty.

    It is not just enough that these character show up again for perspective Nick Fury, Falcon, War Machine, Goliath, little Monica Rambeau actually do for representation with those small appearances over 20 years? What did one Black Panther movie do for representation? X-men is the most diverse franchise in comics by far what good is that if every minority character is a side character? Kwannon is major player in Hellion, but if that was happening in "X-men" book it would be having a bigger impact and increase the chance she shows up again in the future.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-21-2021 at 05:13 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •