Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    The Avengers aren't out running around screaming about being oppressed in 2021.
    Neither are the X-Men so I'm not sure what was the point of this.

Quote Originally Posted by staptik777 View Post
    I guess that complaints depends on how popular the character is. No one complained when Pete Ross and Perry White got black actors.

Also aliens shouldn't count especially shapeshifters like Martian Manhunter and Miss Martian.
    Last edited by Triniking1234; 01-20-2021 at 12:59 PM.
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Agree with all of this. If they want to follow the comics, with the O5 first and then the ANAD team (which I hope they don’t do actually because even if you race-bend a couple of them I find the O5 very boring on their own) then I would change the ethnicity/race of pretty much any of them before Jean for this reason. Except maybe Warren, for reasons given in my previous post.
    Yeah, but again, there's no reason for them to do that. The Avengers started with a team that was never together in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyworthnoting View Post
    The way he said "a black" racists just being racist as if it didnt matter.
    Which also makes me think of the parallel. If this is such a big deal why don't the fanboys make a bigger deal about it or seem to act like it's no problem overall when Asian characters are not drawn with Asian features, or Black characters or latin ones are drawn 4 to five times lighter than their shade or just look like white people with black paint on them. Both are visual mediums so why isn't it okay to cast a black actress as Jean but it is ok to make Kwannon or Jubilee look like white women. I wonder if hey are completely taken out of those stories and can't read them or view them.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

For the love of God, leave characters ethnicities alone. If you really want a diverse cast, pick diverse characters. No need to change existing ones.

BANNED

The more "conservative" fans would lose their ****.

I am partial to Jean Grey's current design but it would probably be worth it just to hear the whining from the President 45/comicsgate kinda crowd lol

Most important thing would be for them to not copy the TAS/Hickman interpretation of the character. If they go for that dynamic she is going to suck, regardless of what her design looks like.

I'm a black dude, if that matters lol.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    For the love of God, leave characters ethnicities alone. If you really want a diverse cast, pick diverse characters. No need to change existing ones.
    I mean that's a cute sentiment I guess but let's not play games like the landscape of superhero comics isn't over overwhelmingly White. Hell has also not play games and pretend like the majority of these characters ethnicities are at all important to their character.

And you can go ahead and dish out the tired old " well if their ethnicities don't matter why are they changing them in the first place" drivel because that's just willfully ignoring the issue of representation and right now looking at a superheroes roster there's a very clear bias on which ethnicity is being represented in American comics.

Isn't even something that should be called into question the real question should be why is it that changing a establish white character's ethnicity such a unforgivable sin for some of you "fans".

Black guy here.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    I mean that's a cute sentiment I guess but let's not play games like the landscape of superhero comics isn't over overwhelmingly White. Hell has also not play games and pretend like the majority of these characters ethnicities are at all important to their character.

And you can go ahead and dish out the tired old " well if their ethnicities don't matter why are they changing them in the first place" drivel because that's just willfully ignoring the issue of representation and right now looking at a superheroes roster there's a very clear bias on which ethnicity is being represented in American comics.

Isn't even something that should be called into question the real question should be why is it that changing a establish white character's ethnicity such a unforgivable sin for some of you "fans".

Black guy here.
    Personally because it doesn't feel authentic, it's a lazy way of trying to introduce diversity when they should be establishing or introducing new important POC characters. Look at the Psylocke and Betsy mess in the comics, is that really how we want to push diversity in this medium? No thanks. Do it right please.

Also a POC here.

Spectacular Member

I hate when politics get in the way of art. Create new black characters, use existing ones...stop changing the ones we love. X-men has so many line ups they could have a diverse mix without changing characters.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheLimboBabies View Post
    I hate when politics get in the way of art. Create new black characters, use existing ones...stop changing the ones we love. X-men has so many line ups they could have a diverse mix without changing characters.
    They did that for X-Men Evolution and created Spyke.

But he was the most unpopular character.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post

Black guy here.

Make new one's that people care about or expand the already established one's, and if they can't do that find better writers. I would agree with you that the lack of POC needs to be addressed, but I don't want their leftovers. It's a lazy way for the writers to satisfy people. I bet they're thrilled if the only thing they need to do is take an established white character with a long publication history, and change their ethnicity and biography around a bit.

Also black guy here.
    Last edited by ChibaMariners; 01-20-2021 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    They did that for X-Men Evolution and created Spyke.

But he was the most unpopular character.
    I mean Spyke was basically male marrow. He even eventually joined the Morlocks. Not exactly a new character. Also he was very bratty (even compared to the other teenagers on the show) and didn't get a ton of development until he was basically written out of the TV show. It's sad.

I'd rather them have used Roberto, who we already know is a lot more fun. (but it was fun seeing him introduced with the new mutants too...)

Spectacular Member

True, no one should ever try again because it failed once, they can't write a better character than a rehash of Marrow for a children's tv show.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    How do you feel if MCU start to cast the actors for the role when the X-Men movie is greenlit ? What if Jean Grey is given the role to black woman ?
    If we didn't already have one of the hottest woman of color playing MJ in the MCU I would say hell yeah, but I always thought Zendaya would have made a great Jean

Quote Originally Posted by staptik777 View Post
    This picture doesn't represent the situation very well since green/orange aliens can't be racebent and CW's Hawkgirl is Kendra not Shayera. But there's still a disproportionate number of racebent redheads in adaptations. In recent years I believe Mera is the only one who managed to avoid it

BANNED

Id rather get monet, cecilia, isca, genesis , frenzy , bei or whatever maybe magma casted as a black woman.
    The dc route only manages to actually strangle out actual POC characters