Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyworthnoting View Post
    what if the characters were not racebent for the sake of it and the actors were simply suitable for the role?? Jean grey's identify has nothing to do with her being white. So being black really wouldn't change her character at all.
    she has red hair. it's actually one of her most identifiable features. are you honestly trying to say that there wouldn't be a Caucasian woman who would fit the mold? that's crazy. I'm not against diversity, I am against race bending. Jean is white. I wouldn't want bishop to be white or any other race. I want my characters to look as close as they can to the source material. With how diverse the X-Men are, there is honestly no reason to change any characters race

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Dude its really not that serious. Again, Ive explained myself. Whether you recieve it or not, it is what it is
    Sure... and I've received it and commented on it. Now whether you want to ignore a genuine answer simply because i came a little bit strong its on you

Extraordinary Member

Remember the made-for-tv Generation X movie, where Jubilee was white?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Remember the made-for-tv Generation X movie, where Jubilee was white?
    I have blocked that experience from my memories...I respectfully request you try not to make me remember.

BANNED

There are also plenty black and dark skin people with redhair,there are plenty of people who could have ALSO fit the role, But the idea that "IT HAS TO BE A WHITE SKINNED WOMAN" is quite clearly racist. ????? Now not sure if you're racist or not. There's nothing inherently wrong with "racebending" characters given that in a perfect world, race wouldnt be even remotely important to a character. It would literally be like race didnt exist at all. I'm not sure why changing the color of someone's who's skin really never mattered in terms of character would make you mad.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jpmst17 View Post
    she has red hair. it's actually one of her most identifiable features. are you honestly trying to say that there wouldn't be a Caucasian woman who would fit the mold? that's crazy. I'm not against diversity, I am against race bending. Jean is white. I wouldn't want bishop to be white or any other race. I want my characters to look as close as they can to the source material. With how diverse the X-Men are, there is honestly no reason to change any characters race
    This raises an interesting point (that has been raised before but...here we are, again)...No one would want to see T'Challa or Storm played by someone White or Sunfire played by someone Latino (why I fully understand the "outrage" over Tilda playing the Ancient One in Dr. Strange)...so why would it be okies for someone Black to portray Jean, or Cyclops or Emma?

I'm down with increasing diversity...but as a Jean Grey fan..I would be hell-to-the-fockin-NO!
    That's why I wholly agree with TriniKing...you want to push for greater diversity? Use the diverse characters you already have to tell new and interesting and relevant stories. Stop rehashing the same tired shyt and putting a different "coat of paint" on the characters. THAT is not enacting diversity and representation.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 01-21-2021 at 10:39 AM.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

BANNED

Hollywood approaches diversity in the worst ways you can ever imagine.

If Jean is black there is no problem with that for me, if the actress is good and embodies Jean that is fine by me, however it is just not necessary. I grew up knowing jean as a white red head chick, there is nothing wrong with still keeping her this way in movies.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jpmst17 View Post
    Also don't come out here with false equivilancy. Bishop's case is entirely different. He's literally one of the extremely few black male's in the x-verse(you think it's accidental?) between the multitudes of white protagonists. Intentionally changing bishop's colour is a literal stepback in "diversity" or whatever other term neo-libs use.

There are also plenty black and dark skin people with redhair,there are plenty of people who could have ALSO fit the role, But the idea that "IT HAS TO BE A WHITE SKINNED WOMAN" is quite clearly racist. ????? Now not sure if you're racist or not. There's nothing inherently wrong with "racebending" characters given that in a perfect world, race wouldnt be even remotely important to a character. It would literally be like race didnt exist at all. I'm not sure why changing the color of someone's who's skin really never mattered in terms of character would make you mad.
    but what's the point? she's been portrayed in every x-movie and cartoon as white. why would they suddenly change a characters race for the heck of it? again, there are many diverse x-men. if you want a first movie with diversity, use scott and jean, storm, sunfire and thunderbird. sounds fine to me.

Also don't come out here with false equivilancy. Bishop's case is entirely different. He's literally one of the extremely few black male's in the x-verse(you think it's accidental?) between the multitudes of white protagonists. Intentionally changing bishop's colour is a literal stepback in "diversity" or whatever other term neo-libs use.
    it's not a false equivalency. seriously, you need to settle down. it seems like you're getting really heated over a simple conversation

Astonishing Member

Jean probably needs a break after the terrible dark Phoenix, honesty. Race ending in X-men, could happen, but doesn’t really need to, they don’t really need to elevate obscure characters either (depending on how many movies and shows they make) but as far as the first movie goes, they already have storm, she’s a given (give her a decent part for once) there’s jubilee, already popular, especially among the mainstream crowd (there’s a reason Disney is using the TAS characters as their default/stop gap merchandising option right now.) Bishop is still fairly popular, despite a string of recent comic writers acting like he has cooties because he’s a time traveler not named Summers... he was also in TAS ( a much smaller role than jubilee, but he was memorable.) you wouldn’t even need to deal with time travel right off the bat (and potentially side track the movie) there could be some hints, but the time travel story can come later (buildup, FTW!)

Those are three already popular, but lesser used characters right there. You could use Forge instead of beast for science guy (forge is more obscure, but beast could also use a break after the Fox prequels and his dumb thirty year crush on mystique....)

Edit:stupid autocorrect
    Last edited by anyajenkins; 01-21-2021 at 11:50 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    This raises an interesting point (that has been raised before but...here we are, again)...No one would want to see T'Challa or Storm played by someone White or Sunfire played by someone Latino (why I fully understand the "outrage" over Tilda playing the Ancient One in Dr. Strange)...so why would it be okies for someone Black to portray Jean, or Cyclops or Emma?

I'm down with increasing diversity...but as a Jean Grey fan..I would be hell-to-the-fockin-NO!
    That's why I wholly agree with TriniKing...you want to push for greater diversity? Use the diverse characters you already have to tell new and interesting and relevant stories. Stop rehashing the same tired shyt and putting a different "coat of paint" on the characters. THAT is not enacting diversity and representation.
    Because... surprise surprise, everytime it gets brought up, it gets immediately shutdown and called out fot its idiocy. Storm and black panther have literal african roots that are important to the character, and race as well. WHile jean being white never affected her character in the slightest. And that raises the question... If jean even if she had a different skin tone, she would still be 100% the same character, so WHY would you dislike the idea?, at worst one would say "i'm not used it, but its not bad" Is it maybe because you yourself give some value to her white skin??

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Jean probably needs a break after the terrible dark Phoenix, honesty. Race ending in X-men, could happen, but doesn’t really need to, they don’t really need to elevate obscure characters either (depending on how many movies and shows they make) but as far as the first movie goes, they already have storm, she’s a given (give her a decent part for once) there’s jubilee, already popular, especially among the mainstream crowd (there’s a reason Disney is using the TAS characters as their default/stop gap merchandising option right now.) Bishop is still fairly popular, despite a string of recent comic writers acting like he has foodies because he’s a time traveler of named Summers... he was also inTAS ( a much smaller role than jubilee, but he was memorable.) you wouldn’t even need to deal with time travel right off the bat (and potentially side track the movie) there could be some hints, but the time travel story can come later (buildup, FTW!)

Those are three already popular, but lesser used characters right there. You could use Forge instead of beast for science guy (forge is more obscure, but beast could also use a break after the Fox prequels and his dumb thirty year crush on mystique....)
    I would not be upset if they just left out telepaths altogether. So looks like a fun lineup, and hopefully one that does not tempt writers to interpret the big stories that never work on the big screen anyway.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

So a White person's/character's history and roots is not important to them too? Or, is it not as important as a Black person's/character's?
    THAT sounds rather questionable from a racial perspective, to me.

I give value to the person/character which happens to also include their White skin. Or their Black skin. Or their Brown skin. So yes. Yes, I do.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 01-21-2021 at 11:03 AM.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Because in a world where 95 percent of characters are white they aren't going to do it. Unlike Storm, Tchalla, and Bishop if you walked in the writers room and was given a sheet of paper with their history on it and no pictures not a single thing is going to jump off the page and say Jean is white or Cyclops is white. If you describe everything else about them besides skin color and their history and put it in a diverse room everyone will have a different image. That's the difference.

It's only the writers faults that over 75 years so many white characters have no culture, that is on their creators and the fact that they took advantage that everyone will always formulate images the same way as them. No one is complaining about White Jesus so until they change that they can miss me.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/