Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default X-Force #16 Review: Look upon the Leviathan

The issue picks up with the team having mostly cleaned up the invasion from last issue and Dr. Reyes and Dr. McCoy studying the parasite. They determine it is basically a Krakoan tumor that was self excised. Beast want's to weaponize it and Reyes reminds him they should make sure they can stop the spread before considering any other options. When asked about being able to detect the tumor Black Tom said he didn't feel anymore and Krakoa was unaware of it at any time. We move on to the field team which consists of Wolverine, Forge and Quentin, Forge is actually tagging along for this mission and he brought some awesome gear. Phoebe shows up to give Quentin a kiss and tell him not to die this time so he will remember the kiss, it was a sweet moment. The team dives down and finds the ship, battles a few infected sea creatures and then Logan see's a massive leviathan, the creature's eye is as big as all of Logan, this stuns him for a moment, so much so that both Qq and Forge take notice and Logan exclaims he saw a god. The creature left but other infected show up and begin to overwhelm the team, Namor then shows up and complains about Krakoa, easily defeats the remaining creatures and then tells X-force if they cause trouble in the sea again he'll sink their island, so pretty standard Namor stuff. The last page is a data page that talks about humanity being reminded of how small they are when faced with wonders such as mountains, pyramids etc, and despite how these monoliths dwarf them there is a desire from humanity to conquer them whether that be climbing the mountain or exporing the pyramids, Logan is going to kill the Leviathan.

I know this series has slipped in a lot of peoples opinion on this board but I've never really felt that way and today reaffirmed my enjoyment of this title. It was a fast read as it was mostly action but I don't think that is a bad thing at all. The dialogue was entertaing, the plot is moving forward which I think is an odd thing to have to talk about, but due to XoS everything was just kind of in limbo, and Percy has really nailed the voice of each character. Reye's handled this examination much better than the Russian soldiers as she used her powers very effectively. Beast continues down his dark path and the rest of the team just go on a crazy sea adventure. For me it was just a fun read.

The highlight of the issue is Cassara's art. I can't say enough good things about this man, His characters are expressive, the infected creatures were genuinely scary looking and he was really able to sell the scale of the leviathan that gave a person like Logan pause. I hope he never leaves this title and Marvel would be smart to sign him on to a long contract. In what I thought was a really good issue, his contribution was the best part.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

I have to say, and it may be because of other life events, but I'm starting to get no real enjoyment out of any of the books. Like, it's not bad or anything, but I'm just realizing I get absolutely no thrill at all. That really hit home after this issue for some reason. It just doesn't matter. I've been reading X-books for over 30 years and this is the first time I've felt this apathetic, like I'm just reading out of a sense of duty.

But yeah, it was a decent issue. It just isn't jiving with me anymore. But all the books feel that way at the moment, Hellions is the only one that seems to leave any real impression.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nash View Post
    I have to say, and it may be because of other life events, but I'm starting to get no real enjoyment out of any of the books. Like, it's not bad or anything, but I'm just realizing I get absolutely no thrill at all. That really hit home after this issue for some reason. It just doesn't matter. I've been reading X-books for over 30 years and this is the first time I've felt this apathetic, like I'm just reading out of a sense of duty.

But yeah, it was a decent issue. It just isn't jiving with me anymore. But all the books feel that way at the moment, Hellions is the only one that seems to leave any real impression.
    Ah that's sad. I kinda get it, usually if I feel a need to step back from the books it's usually because it's been terrible writing or my favorite characters are just gone. (which to be fair is half-true for me)

Personally I'm still enjoying Krakoa conceptually. The X-Men are in a unique spot and it's getting really fleshed out. Utopia was similar but always felt... very temporary.

As far as X-Force, I agree it was a decent issue. I was mostly interested in the surprise Namor bit. Interesting how he calls them mutants as if he's not one himself...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nash View Post

I can understand the apathy, I felt the same way after Remender left Marvel until Hickman came along. There were a few bright spots during those years but a lot of the time I felt like I was buying the books just so they hopefully didn't cancel X-Men comics completely. I hope you find a title soon that brings back that spark of joy.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

I enjoyed this. Percy does a good job bringing in new concepts.

Particularly loved the Cecilia/Beast scene (yay for using her powers to squash that parasite!), and I continue to enjoy Percy's Forge. With Quire resurrected, I'm guessing that we'll be getting Xeno's evil Kid Omega, and Jean will probably return to deal with that. They created that inversed Domino, so I assume that's where Percy is going next with Quire.

As a whole this book isn't my cup of tea, but I do really appreciate the smaller character moments. Forge is just having a great time, and his slightly bro-y attitude is a welcome addition. That bit with the flame thrower was hilarious to me. He should be in the cast full-time. Same with Dr Reyes (who looks incredible drawn by Cassara). Someone need to stand up to Beast whom he actually respects as an intellectual peer.
    If there's a future issue of Wolverine where he goes all Ahab for a bit, I'd be down with that.
    I do wish the team had recruited Loa or Lifeguard or some other mutant with underwater capabilities, but I know X-force's work is technically classified.

Astonishing Member

The Namor was hands down the best thing about this issue. Nice to see he's still a dick and wary of Xavier.

I liked this issue, it helped recover some faith on it. I really liked Namor, he is so badass and rude.

Astonishing Member

So, whats the odds logan hunting that levlithan casuses a war with namor

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Didn't enjoy this felt too short, although I am intrigued by the appearance of you know who.

what a let down of an issue..

art was great though

Loved this issue. Incredible and action packed installment, and Cassara was firing on all cylinders for every single panel too. After a couple of slow burn issues, this felt good to me.

A very fun issue. Not one of the best from this book, but I feel things are getting back on the groove. I don't feel like the book got bad as some people here, but the XoS pause did not help the pace.

Cassara is brilliant and his scenes in the ocean are amazing. I also liked Cecilia confronting Beast. He was probably too comfortable after Jean left. Good to have him put in his place. A weapon made of this Krakoa-cancer would be terrible. He already made a lot of mess with the Terra Verde situation. Loved Forge here too. This book needs someone with charisma like him.

I'm excited to see what will happen next with these creatures Krakoa is creating. It is not over.

It was short but enjoyable, Casara's artwork is still the hight point of this book, but the characther moments were decent.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Mighty Member

Beast continues on his slippery slope. Even if Cecilia can reign him in a little, he’s going to do what he wants. I feel like some things need to be kept secret from him (Sage and Wolverine should be getting together for that)

I would like to really see Sage. No literally would love to see her. Haha. And actually see her in the field. I don’t understand how she isn’t.