Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I like Dini, but his tremendous talent never really translated terribly well to comics for me (with the obvious exception of the aforementioned Batman the Adventures Continue book).

While I haven't liked everything King has written (god, was Heroes in Crisis bad) and not every Batman arc he's written was a home run, I like that he tries different things with Batman and Catwoman and doesn't spoon feed his readers like some writers do.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Spectacular Member

FWIW, King tries to be consistent:

I think I make a lot of mistakes when I write Catwoman. I think I write her too idealized, too perfect. [Writer/artist] Joelle Jones actually came to me and we started talking about Catwoman, and she said "Don't forget, she's a burglar. She robs people. She's dangerous." She's not just super-perfect, Batman's idealized version of a person. She's her own person, she makes horrible mistakes, and she makes incredible comebacks from those mistakes. And you have to keep that in mind. That this is a very broken person. She's a survivor, she didn't know her parents, she raised herself on the streets of Gotham—the worst city in the history of fictional cities—and she somehow rose up to become someone who could hang out with both the Joker and Batman, who could walk in both worlds. I love writing that character, but you always have to be careful that you don't perfection-ize her or something. You have to make her as flawed or as cool as a real person.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by FBarnhill View Post
    At least he is *finally* aware of one of his (many) mistakes. Yay for progress if at a snail's pace.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

You have to make her as flawed or as cool as a real person.
    Weird thing to say. I thought that making characters like real persons was the point all along?

Astonishing Member

I've always liked his take and it's clear that that he's taking that advice from Jones because the way he portrays her in his current run is fantastic.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I like Dini, but his tremendous talent never really translated terribly well to comics for me (with the obvious exception of the aforementioned Batman the Adventures Continue book).

While I haven't liked everything King has written (god, was Heroes in Crisis bad) and not every Batman arc he's written was a home run, I like that he tries different things with Batman and Catwoman and doesn't spoon feed his readers like some writers do.
    I think his 'Tec run was much stronger by comparison.
    I can see it when you look at how capable and effective Catwoman is in, even compared to Batman.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think his 'Tec run was much stronger by comparison.
    Wasn't my cup of tea. I was excited about it at first (I mean, what fan of TAS wasn't?), but dropped it a few issues in. *shrugs*

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I don't know if anybody's read Batman Black & White but King had a short story where Bruce has to save a priest in a collapsing church does anyone know if that is the same church that Joker blew up before the wedding?

Also what happened to the King Batman Appreciation thread?

Mighty Member

So this is not canon.If it is it should be before city of Bane

Spectacular Member

I liked King's run more than a lot of people here I think but this series is not working for me thus far. The jumping around in time, sometimes on the same page with little to no signifiers of what time period we are in, is making this series a chore to read. I don't mind being challenged by a book but not in this way. I fundamentally don't know when things are happening at times. If it continues like this I may not stay with the series. Might give it one or two more issues max.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Thank you for this. King is definitely doing a good job now of capturing and emphasizing Catwoman's duality, her straddling of good vs bad, her flawed especially imperfect nature.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 01-28-2021 at 07:18 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    I never see Catwoman being the one that does that thing. There is no good motive for her to do it.
    If she does want Batman to settle down with her, then there is as the Joker is hellbent on making sure he's the only one who Bruce remains committed to for the rest of his life. Also the same motive for Joker wanting to kill Selina.

In this scenario though, after Bruce is dead, I don't think she'd be interested.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Honestly, after Bruce is dead and can't bitch about it anymore, I can imagine the entire Bat-Family lining up to kill the Joker, including Selina.

Quote Originally Posted by Hcmarvel View Post
    I liked King's run more than a lot of people here I think but this series is not working for me thus far. The jumping around in time, sometimes on the same page with little to no signifiers of what time period we are in, is making this series a chore to read. I don't mind being challenged by a book but not in this way. I fundamentally don't know when things are happening at times. If it continues like this I may not stay with the series. Might give it one or two more issues max.
    The distinctions in Catwoman's costume and mask are very clarifying. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    If she does want Batman to settle down with her, then there is as the Joker is hellbent on making sure he's the only one who Bruce remains committed to for the rest of his life. Also the same motive for Joker wanting to kill Selina.

In this scenario though, after Bruce is dead, I don't think she'd be interested.
    We don't even know what her motive is yet. It's pretty clearly indicated in #2 that the motive is a mystery and is forthcoming. Not saying when/how in the issue for fear of spoiling. Anyway, it's pretty obvious. Not the motive, but the tease for the mystery of the motive.