Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: April X-Books

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Reading the april solicitations on the Women of Marvel book, i notice the writer (and likely artist) for the Marrow story is Sophie Campbell. Which makes the choice of character less weird, since if i remember right Campbell wanted to write her for quite a while.

Also given it's written by an experienced indi-comic writer, with several books under the belt, might bode well for the quality of the story.

But now i wonder if it will entirely be out of continuity?

Yeah quite a suprise. Seeing how Marrow is the one name dropped, i guess she has the better chances in that duel, but the writer seems to like Feral too, so it might be presented as an even fight.
    On Twitter Campbell joked that this story sets up her "X-Girlfriends" series so while it's a joke there might be something more to this with regards to Marrow and Feral.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    On Twitter Campbell joked that this story sets up her "X-Girlfriends" series so while it's a joke there might be something more to this with regards to Marrow and Feral.
    Wonder if that is girlfriends in the platonic or romantic sense? I guess the former is more likely. Still a bit of an odd team up or encounter given they never interacted before and their connection via the Morlocks and Feral's sister is rather thin. Unless it is out of continuity at which point she could really set their encounter up as what ever she desires.

Also with these two as foundation would said imaginary "X-Girlfriends" series be about moraly flexible mutant woman with strong temper issues getting into violent fights?

Well, we'll see in April what that story will be like.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I'm there for more Sophie Campbell comics, and especially X-Men comics. I loved her art on Glory.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    I like it. It's like an X-Men version of Champions.
    Which is an odd thing to say considering that there's been two X-Men on the modern Champions (Cyclops and Dust).
    Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I believe it was mentioned somewhere (AiPT?) that there are missing months to re-align the stories, concurrently.
    I would say it was XoS that threw things off, as ongoing plot threads had to be stopped and rescheduled in order for the books to tell a cohesive event-story. Not covid-19.
    XoS was itself delayed by COVID, so the pandemic is actually ultimately to blame.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I wish they would put the actual characters who are going to be in the book instead of putting the ones I want to read on the cover only for them not to be included.
    As a gambit fan, I feel your pain... so marvel, you think this character would be draw if you put them on the cover, but you don’t want to put them in the actual story?

Astonishing Member

I guess deamon days is skipping a month

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    I guess deamon days is skipping a month
    It was initially announced as releasing once every three months.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Which is an odd thing to say considering that there's been two X-Men on the modern Champions.
    Well sure on a concept level basis they're similar but Champions at the end of the day is under the Avengers umbrella so there's already a very limited amount freedom they can work with for their mutant characters.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    It was initially announced as releasing once every three months.
    Whoa, has Marvel ever made a series with such a lengthy releases?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Whoa, has Marvel ever made a series with such a lengthy releases?
    I know they have had quarterly series in the past, things like X-Men Unlimited and Spider-Man Unlimited.

This is still a bit different and much more a creator driven project of a creator who is much in demand and as far as I know doing her first ongoing interiors work so I would not be surprised if this sees delays even with the scheduled gaps.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    I'm there for more Sophie Campbell comics, and especially X-Men comics. I loved her art on Glory.
    Same. I like Campbell's work on Jem and the Holograms and her independent comics like Wet Moon. I'll be there for Campbell, plus characters like Marrow and Feral getting some attention.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin King View Post
    Same. I like Campbell's work on Jem and the Holograms and her independent comics like Wet Moon. I'll be there for Campbell, plus characters like Marrow and Feral getting some attention.
    Let's hope the story and it's art will be good.

This book allready faces an uphill battle to win over critics and readers, since being centered around promoting female Marvel characters and writers, it has or will likely gain the stigma of being just an attempt by Marvel to gain brownie points, rather than actualy trying to providing a good product to their target audience. So as unfair as it sounds, it needs to have good quality to not be written off.

For characters like Peggy Carter, She-Hulk, Rogue or Mystique however, it won't matter if it fails or not. They are long established A- and B- list characters with a strong stock among readers. Weak stories for them will just be thrown on a pile next to the one with the good stories.
    But for C-listers like Marrow and Feral, for whom every appearance counts, it could easily be another coffin nail in their chances of gaining relevance. They are allready on thin ice for being an oddball choice in a prestige project book meant to showcase Marvel's greatest.

But given the writer is not a rookie and actualy seems to like the characters and know their history, they at least have a chance.
    Last edited by Grunty; 01-24-2021 at 04:06 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Let's hope the story and it's art will be good.

This book allready faces an uphill battle to win over critics and readers, since being centered around promoting female Marvel characters and writers, it has or will likely gain the stigma of being just an attempt by Marvel to gain brownie points, rather than actualy trying to providing a good product to their target audience. So as unfair as it sounds, it needs to have good quality to not be written off.

For characters like Peggy Carter, She-Hulk, Rogue or Mystique however, it won't matter if it fails or not. They are long established A- and B- list characters with a strong stock among readers. Weak stories for them will just be thrown on a pile next to the one with the good stories.
    But for C-listers like Marrow and Feral, for whom every appearance counts, it could easily be another coffin nail in their chances of gaining relevance. They are allready on thin ice for being an oddball choice in a prestige project book meant to showcase Marvel's greatest.

But given the writer is not a rookie and actualy seems to like the characters and know their history, they at least have a chance.
    Jesus, that's a way to look at it

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kevinism View Post
    Jesus, that's a way to look at it
    Marvel's recent output has been mixed, both in it's quality and how it's recieved, reflecting in steadily declining sales numbers for a lot of titles, which isn't ideal when the modern cape comic market is also not in the best state either.
    So anything which isn't playing it safe, has a metaphorical crosshair on it, to be bombarded with critiscism and getting percieved as sales killers, if it fails. Because when sales are low, people (especialy those in charge), like to blame it on the things which weren't playing it safe.
    With the only exception being things which the people in charge like to push in the hope that it becomes popular if it's pushed enough. Then it's second chance, third chance, fourth chance, etc. (Just like when the WWE wants to tell it's audience who they should see as their new favorit).

So with this outlook, i'm concerned that if it fails, blame will go to the unsafe elements of it. Like the two c-list X-men characters who weirdly got a whole story in a book otherwise using A- and B-list characters.

Hence why my feeling towards the whole thing went from "Oh that's unexpected but cool that they get a moment to shine." to "Oh, what if it fails and the two get marked as sales killing elements?". Because i can't see the editorial wanting to push them (though if their story is recieved well it could raise their stock and increase the chance of being picked up by writers in the future).

I also have admited in the past that i have a cynic outlook towards the comic industry.
    Last edited by Grunty; 01-24-2021 at 06:41 PM.

... It's a simple anthology one-shot meant to showcase new writers and female characters, in the vein of previous acclaimed one-shots like Marvel's Voices and Marvel Snapshots. The future of comics isn't hanging on balance because of its release!