Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default If You Could Revive "All-Star Comics"...

What would you do with it?

I would do it as a period piece set after the congressional hearing and the JSA's retirement.
    It would be set in 1952. For symbolism.

It would be more akin to the 5YL Legion, but actually be a 1YL JSA.

Being set near the end of the Golden Age, just before the start of the Silver Age, the series would have a more grounded feel, much like the pulps and many Golden Age heroes of the time.

Liberty Belle, Phantom Lady, Crimson Avenger and Midnight would be new members.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 01-21-2021 at 03:39 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I think I would also use it for the JSA but also something kind of fun. What if it was set during a nebulous period of the 70’s and 80’s and we get to see how when the JSA make their big return they meet the heroes of the modern of Justice League in their formative years.

What I mean is stuff like the JSA meeting a young Superboy (Clark) for the first time who is some what experienced thanks to the Legion of Superheroes. Other stories like when Alan Scott first meets Hal Jordan and learns of the corps, Wildcat first training a young Bruce to fight, Jay meeting a young Barry Allen who is his fan, and etc. Basically a modern history book establishing the connections of the old guard and the heroes we know today.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I would do it as a period piece set after the trial and the JSA's retirement.
    It would be set in 1952. For symbolism...
    Wasn't it a hearing before the House Un-American Activities Committee in the 1950s, not an actual "trial"?

The "trial" that I normally associate with the JSA was Roy Thomas' America vs. Justice Society four-issue series that was set much later than the 1950s. (That one took place after the death of the Earth-2 Batman).

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Assuming there's a JSA book, then this one is a rotating cast anthology that focus more on their family, friends, or personal life. Whichever setting is fine.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Assuming there's a JSA book, then this one is a rotating cast anthology that focus more on their family, friends, or personal life. Whichever setting is fine.
    I like that. A place to go in more depth on certain characters, especially since not many of them outside Stargirl and Mr. Terrific are likely to get their own titles.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Wasn't it a hearing before the House Un-American Activities Committee in the 1950s, not an actual "trial"?
    Yes it was. Now those HUAC hearings often wound up being trials, or at least as devastating for their victims as any trial was apt to be, but the Major is right.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Give it to Wonder Woman, as she first appeared in All Star Comics 8.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Give it to Wonder Woman, as she first appeared in All Star Comics 8.
    Absolutely not IMO. Wonder Woman has plenty of titles; the JSA characters currently have none, and will possibly eventually only have one, JSA, so any additional title like All-Star, should go with the essential JSA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

The "trial" that I normally associate with the JSA was Roy Thomas' America vs. Justice Society four-issue series that was set much later than the 1950s. (That one took place after the death of the Earth-2 Batman).
    Yeah, the Congressional Gearing in 1951 is what I was referring to.
    I always forget about the America vs JSA series.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Do a soft reboot of Roy Thomas’s All Star Squadron, and slowly build towards reintroducing Infinity Inc., and fleshing out the rest of the Earth 2 cast.

Old school Justice Society stories as a OGN series coming out once or twice a year. Individual chapters by different artists in a complete story, but not necessarily connected to any other issue. These could be historic or modern day stories.

I like the Anthology idea and use it for such titles as All Star Squadron.Freedom Fighters.Infinity Inc.and i'll even throw The Wonders in there with Val Zod Superman Team.i won't mention JSA cause im hoping they still get an Ongoing.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Absolutely not IMO. Wonder Woman has plenty of titles; the JSA characters currently have none, and will possibly eventually only have one, JSA, so any additional title like All-Star, should go with the essential JSA characters.
    Isn't Wonder Woman more closely associated with Sensation Comics anyway? If she had a second book to match Action and Detective, I'd call it that, not All-Star Comics.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Isn't Wonder Woman more closely associated with Sensation Comics anyway? If she had a second book to match Action and Detective, I'd call it that, not All-Star Comics.
    Well, she does have the digital-first Sensational Wonder Woman which was suppose to start this month (with the print version being released in March).