Page 60 of 94 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast
    Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    As for the rocket, either they never did the flight, or they did but Spyre never attacked them, hence no cosmic energy wave to grant them their powers.
    Someone not familiar with the Dan Slott FF origin retcon: "Wait what? What's this about Spyre attacking them? Wasn't that cosmic ray storm a natural phenomenon?"

FF fans: "…" (Directed towards Slott)
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I still think there should have been a 6th SS member. Lady Lark would help balance the team out a little better.
    Or Kinsey, from Supreme Power, in the 'Aquaman' slot. She was interesting.

Although once Lady Lark 'upgraded' to use gold-colored versions of the Blue Eagle's wings, combined with her sonic cry, she was even more buff (and less of an obvious Black Canary riff, which was also cool).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Or Kinsey, from Supreme Power, in the 'Aquaman' slot. She was interesting.

Although once Lady Lark 'upgraded' to use gold-colored versions of the Blue Eagle's wings, combined with her sonic cry, she was even more buff (and less of an obvious Black Canary riff, which was also cool).
    I would keep her with just the sonic scream....it sort of levels the team from Nighthawk and 4 really powerful people by adding someone who is basically an athlete with a minor super power.

Besides, wings plus sonic scream doesn't being Black Canary to mind. In fact, it'd basically make her like Sky from Fantastic Four.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

After finding the first issue pretty bland, I thought this second issue was drastically better.

In my opinion, I would have flipped the issues (have Heroes Reborn #2 instead be Heroes Reborn #1, and vice versa), and this is due to the Kuleshov effect (from movies).

Issue #1 is told from the point of view of an original (not reborn) hero already knowing something is wrong. The issue outright explains away the central mystery of when things diverged (Captain America wasn't discovered and unfrozen) in the middle as opposed to the end.

Why should readers buy into this alternate reality if we already know what was changed, and we already have heroes who know they should change it back?
    Why would I be invested in Heroes Reborn, if the focus based on the first issue is on Blade (a NOT REBORN Hero, but the same original hero).

In contrast, #2 keeps the focus on the new world and the characters of the world, and while it does allude to Captain America not returning, it doesn't outright tell you that is the reason the world is different. At the end of the issue, it does that classic last page reveal of our heroes showing they will change things.

If #2 was first, I would have been interested in this new reality, and some small amount of mystery would remain (Heck, the current ending could stay the same, and I would be wondering how Blade and Cap ended up together and be excited for the next issue). It truly is about a hero reborn (Hyperion).

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I would keep her with just the sonic scream....it sort of levels the team from Nighthawk and 4 really powerful people by adding someone who is basically an athlete with a minor super power.
    Besides, wings plus sonic scream doesn't being Black Canary to mind. In fact, it'd basically make her like Sky from Fantastic Four.
    I agree, I never got much on board with the whole Skylark "upgrade". I don't think Lark was supposed to keep wearing the wings. I remember Spectrum thinking about how she'd react when she found out that she was wearing the wings of the man who killed her lover. It was a scene that, to my knowledge, we never got to see. I'd rather se her taken under Nighthawk's wing to brush up her martial arts skill.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Someone not familiar with the Dan Slott FF origin retcon: "Wait what? What's this about Spyre attacking them? Wasn't that cosmic ray storm a natural phenomenon?"

FF fans: "…" (Directed towards Slott)
    I assume this is a joke that's gone over my head and not an actual thing? Feel foolish for asking, but with Marvel you can never quite be sure these days

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    I assume this is a joke that's gone over my head and not an actual thing? Feel foolish for asking, but with Marvel you can never quite be sure these days
    It is, unfortunately. The thing about a retcon like that is that a lot of the great Marvel hero origins involve a certain degree of culpability on the part of the heroes for a moral failure that then becomes (part of) their motivation for heroism. For Spider-Man, it was letting a thief pass him by because he was such a big star that he couldn't be bothered with "petty crime," and then his beloved father figure became a murder victim, thanks to the "petty criminal" he overlooked earlier. For Bruce Banner, the gamma radiation explosion that turned him into the Hulk came from a gamma bomb that he himself had built and was testing for the military, only for the test to be sabotaged by a spy. For the Fantastic Four, it was Reed Richards' reckless arrogance and defiant certainty in his own intelligence that guided him and the other three into space and got them exposed to an ungodly amount of cosmic radiation that permanently mutated them all, some worse than others. Take that sense of personal responsibility or culpability away, and . . . it frankly takes some of the pathos away from the origin.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

So, Hyperion is the son of a Celestial, huh? This story almost had me until that 3rd page reveal

I've no idea how the writers plan to wrap this up and un-do everything but having somewhat of a 'Crisis' might be fun.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Overall I've been enjoying it. Though it's kind of a mishmash of stories we've seen many times before. Whatever. It's the closest thing we'll get to an actual Marvel/DC crossover.

As a Superman fan I liked to homages to his world. Hulk confused and speaking in a bizarre manner. I was hoping he would have to trick Mr. Beyonder into saying something backwards to get rid of him.

Aaron hasn't gone over the top with it yet, but has has thrown some shade at the Distinguished Competition. Hyperion has a right wing American nationalist worldview. Something that a lot of people associate with Superman, even though in reality Supes is the ultimate empathetic bleeding-heart.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    This scene was very similar to something in The Authority. Which is kinda ironic since they were fighting a team of Avenger's doppelgangers. Apollo (who is also a Superman stand-in) flies through the head of Titan (Giant-Man).

Last edited by Robotman; 05-15-2021 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Overall I've been enjoying it. Though it's kind of a mishmash of stories we've seen many times before. Whatever. It's the closest thing we'll get to an actual Marvel/DC crossover.

As a Superman fan I liked to homages to his world. Hulk confused and speaking in a bizarre manner. I was hoping he would have to trick Mr. Beyonder into saying something backwards to get rid of him.

Aaron hasn't gone over the top with it yet, but has has thrown some shade at the Distinguished Competition. Hyperion has a right wing American nationalist worldview. Something that a lot of people associate with Superman, even though in reality Supes is the ultimate empathetic bleeding-heart.

This scene was very similar to something in The Authority. Which is kinda ironic since they were fighting a team of Avenger's doppelgangers. Apollo (who is also a Superman stand-in) flies through the head of Titan (Giant-Man).

Personally, I blame Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns for taking "truth, justice, and the American way" to mean Superman would become a weaponized tool of the U.S. government and putting that impression of Superman in people's heads.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, but that's a plus to me, developing her *beyond* being just a palette-swapped version of Black Canary and making her more unique, both visually, and incorporating some of her own history into that development (wearing the wings to honor the guy who died trying to protect her from a former abuser).

I think it leveled her up past being a rip-off/homage, and moved her into a more interesting place.

Plus being more evocative of Songbird (or Skye) hardly seems like a downside.

On the other hand, it also makes her not only a palette-swap of Black Canary, who has been a Justice League 'seventh member', but also of Hawkwoman, who has *also* been a 'seventh member' of the League (in the cartoon). So it's like she's a two-fer. A copyright infringement double-whammy.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 05-16-2021 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Personally, I blame Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns for taking "truth, justice, and the American way" to mean Superman would become a weaponized tool of the U.S. government and putting that impression of Superman in people's heads.
    A very, VERY valid point.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    A very, VERY valid point.

Peace
    Given how oft-praised Frank Miller's DKR is for revolutionizing the superhero genre with its extreme takes on Batman and Superman . . . and how that's bled into a lot of what the genre has become over the intervening 35 years since DKR's debut . . .