Page 77 of 94 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 1407
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Actually, no. Murder Hornet has been confirmed to be Cassie Lang, Scott Lang's daughter. The helmet and the name are a clear reference to her current heroic identity as "Hornet".
    Where does it confirm it is Cassie...in the book it has Rita's name on a screen. And when did Cassie get called Hornet? She is Stinger.

Last edited by Chris0013; 06-14-2021 at 05:46 PM.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    In a way it does, actually. Hence the example that I think somebody posted earlier about how when Marvel published the Squadron Supreme miniseries and DC sued them and it was determined that only the Martian Manhunter clone wasn't grandfathered in by the previous issues they had published
    Did DC sue them or was it the threat of being sued that forced Marvel to change the format and roster?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Where does it confirm it is Cassie...in the book it has Rita's name on a screen. And when did Cassie get called Hornet? She is Stinger.

Wow! Good eye. I had to look for awhile until I found it. Cassie would not make a good Murder Hornet.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    Wow! Good eye. I had to look for awhile until I found it. Cassie would not make a good Murder Hornet.
    I am not the one who found it... Digifiend posted in the Wasp thread...I had to actually get out my readers and go back to my hardcopy to be able to make it out. My advice...don't let your eyes get old like mine did.

Maybe Rita will somehow make it out of HR into 616 proper.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I am not the one who found it... Digifiend posted in the Wasp thread...I had to actually get out my readers and go back to my hardcopy to be able to make it out. My advice...don't let your eyes get old like mine did.

Maybe Rita will somehow make it out of HR into 616 proper.
    I would like to see that, too.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That's a pretty interesting breakdown of things as they stand in the Heroes Reborn universe and how it relates to the 616 now that Mephisto is the literal God of this "brave new world."
    I simply applied an universal truth, "when something is too good to be true, it's because it isn't". Squadron Supreme may look better superheroes that the Avengers in this world, but just like everything else, they are nothing but fakes.

(*FACEPALM*) I'm sorry, I never realized the computer screen; and you are right, Caasie's name is Stinger, not Hornet. My mistakes, sorry.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Did DC sue them or was it the threat of being sued that forced Marvel to change the format and roster?
    I don't know that the exact details were released to the public, but lawyers were definitely involved. I'm sure there's some understanding like "Ok, X and Y count as parody or homage and that's fair game. But if you do Z under these particular conditions, then that's infringement."

Marvel went after an artist named Dave Sim who used to do a popular indie comic called Cerebus awhile back. One of the reoccurring characters was The Roach who was a superhero satire character. Each time he appeared he was a goof on a particular Marvel character ( Capt America, Moon Knight, black suit Spider Man, etc). What ultimately bugged Marvel as a company was when Sim did three issues in a row of "Wolveroach" each cover being a clear spoof of the Frank Miller mini series. They couldn't stop him publishing it, but when he reprinted that arc he had to put a disclaimer on those covers stating "This is not the character owned by Marvel comics, it is a spoof..."

Mighty Member

I don't have specific details on the Martian Manhunter issue but DC apparently did at some point threatened Marvel with a lawsuit over the Squadron Supreme, however, since DC didn't act when the Squadron Supreme first appeared they could not claim copyright infringement later as the statute of limitations which is three years after discovery had passed.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I don't know that the exact details were released to the public, but lawyers were definitely involved. I'm sure there's some understanding like "Ok, X and Y count as parody or homage and that's fair game. But if you do Z under these particular conditions, then that's infringement."
    I think I found something that touches on it, although no lawsuit actually occured: https://www.cbr.com/comic-book-legends-revealed-558/

The late Mark Gruenwald's understanding was that DC did threaten a lawsuit over his 1985 Squadron Supreme series. But fortunately or unfortunately, DC waited too long. Marvel had created most of the SS characters by 1982. Despite the fact that DC had been aware of the infringement for years (Hyperion was first created back in 1971 or maybe it was '72), they nevertheless did nothing, at which point, again, according to Mr. Gruenwald, the 3 year statute of limitations had expired; DC could not sue Marvel for any of the characters created on or before 1982. That's basically the core group, including Power Princess. I imagine DC did raise objections about Skymax and other analogs that were created for the 1985 series. Marvel probably worked with them at that point on those objectionable characters, but if this is true, wow. DC might want to consider investing in a lube company when they emerge from their reorganization and restructuring initiative.

If Mr. Gruenwald is correct, then Marvel should go ahead and have a Squadron Supreme ongoing. Enough with the silly events and wacky alternate versions based in divergent realities. Create a team for 616 made up of both DC analogs and Marvel's own original characters and take a serious crack at making the SS one of company's top selling titles. Don't parrot DC. Outperform them with their own concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    I don't have specific details on the Martian Manhunter issue but DC apparently did at some point threatened Marvel with a lawsuit over the Squadron Supreme, however, since DC didn't act when the Squadron Supreme first appeared they could not claim copyright infringement later as the statute of limitations which is three years after discovery had passed.
    Thanks, I saw this post after I had typed mine -- in between bites of pizza, of course.

BANNED

While I agree that Hyperion was never that weak, I do believe that Hickman's Hyperion is one of the 2-3 strongest versions of Hyperion ever. He could move planets. He one-punched 616 Hulk back into Bruce Banner. He fought Beyonders with Thor. They presumably "died" in the end, but merely lasting longer than a nanosecond against an army of Beyonders speaks volumes.
    He never one-punched Hulk btw
    6300777-6283773-8428162003-53783.jpg
    Hickmans Hyperion was only really impressive under Hickman himself, in other appearances he wasn't that great, i mean in his own solo he got knocked out by a toaster. And the Beyonder thing isn't as great as people think because they literally do nothing to them, other than Starbrand.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Actually, no. Murder Hornet has been confirmed to be Cassie Lang, Scott Lang's daughter. The helmet and the name are a clear reference to her current heroic identity as "Hornet".
    Cassie's identity is Stinger, not Hornet. And Murder Hornet is identified on panel as being Rita. Next time, try actually reading the issue before posting?

There was a hero called Hornet, one of the Slingers, but he was murdered by a brainwashed Wolverine in 2005.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Edwar...gh_(Earth-616)
    Last edited by Digifiend; 06-15-2021 at 08:06 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Cassie's identity is Stinger, not Hornet. And Murder Hornet is identified on panel as being Rita. Next time, try actually reading the issue before posting?

There was a hero called Hornet, one of the Slingers, but he was murdered by a brainwashed Wolverine in 2005.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Edwar...gh_(Earth-616)
    And then his niece took up the identity, albeit calling herself Red or Crimson Hornet, to avenge him, but went after the wrong Wolverine (this was when Logan was dead and Laura Kinney/X-23 was acting as Wolverine), as depicted in the All-New Wolverine Annual that somehow got her body-switched across dimensions with Spider-Gwen.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    He never one-punched Hulk btw
    6300777-6283773-8428162003-53783.jpg
    It sounds like many of us misinterpreted that sequence. Yes, we see Thor calling down the lightning causing Abyss to lose control of the Hulk. But the next panel is Hyperion punching the Hulk, followed by the Hulk having reverted to Banner -- and Banner looking somewhat shocked with his, "Oh... Oh..." utterance. It definitely looks like Hyperion's punch had something to do with the change.

It also doesn't necessarily follow that the Hulk would deliberately change back to Bruce when they were all still in a hostile, combat situation.

But if that's how Hickman intended for the story to have been read, can't argue with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 06-15-2021 at 07:03 PM.

Incredible Member

It is interesting that we are at issue 7 and there is not a Tony Stark based issue (since the cover seems to be focused on Squadron the team as opposed to focusing on just the one.

I guess it makes sense based on the number of Squadron Supreme members, and that Iron Man doesn't map over very well with an individual Squadron member.