Page 38 of 94 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Hero's Reborn literally looks like we are going to have our whitest team beat up everybody else and then lose in the end. Because hey, things were bad with the avengers around but they could have been worse.
    Nighthawk doesn't seem to fit that description.

"Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Yeah, the previous Nighthawk was black so they made this version black as well. I do wish that cover had Falcon, his sidekick, on it with him, considering which book that cover is on - after all, Falcon is Miles as shown by the Young Squadron tie-in.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    There has been released some spoilers about issue #1, and it appears it has confirmed something I suspected. The Hulk in this world is called "Avengeers the Hulk", and it seems he's not Bruce Banner, but Rick Jones. (No wonder Hyperion beat him, he wouldn't be so lucky against the REAL Hulk).

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    There has been released some spoilers about issue #1, and it appears it has confirmed something I suspected. The Hulk in this world is called "Avengeers the Hulk", and it seems he's not Bruce Banner, but Rick Jones. (No wonder Hyperion beat him, he wouldn't be so lucky against the REAL Hulk).
    Makes sense. Rick Jones would have been the one to become the Hulk (or just been dead) if Bruce Banner hadn't shoved him in that trench to protect him from the gamma explosion all those years ago, so . . .
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Makes sense. Rick Jones would have been the one to become the Hulk (or just been dead) if Bruce Banner hadn't shoved him in that trench to protect him from the gamma explosion all those years ago, so . . .
    If this spoiler is true, then I wonder why Bruce Banner wasn't there to try to save Rick Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Hero's Reborn literally looks like we are going to have our whitest team beat up everybody else and then lose in the end. Because hey, things were bad with the avengers around but they could have been worse.
    I mean it looks about the same as the current Justice League team and its only a short time event
    The J-man

Personally I'm fed up with Marvel making DC pastiches central in its storylines. Marvel became the # 1 comics company by staying away from DC's archetype like characters and doing its own thing. Today seems like several authors feel the need to endorse those pastiches making them relevant in the Marvel Universe. In my opinion it's a sign of cultural subordination, it's shameful, given Marvel's history and it makes little to no sense, considering how this helps promoting and endorsing the relevance of the "distinguished competition".

TL; DR: If I wanted to read about DC like characters I would buy DC comics instead of Marvel's.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I keep forgetting this Heroes Reborn Redux is happening till I see this thread. So uninterested.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Haquim View Post
    Personally I'm fed up with Marvel making DC pastiches central in its storylines. Marvel became the # 1 comics company by staying away from DC's archetype like characters and doing its own thing. Today seems like several authors feel the need to endorse those pastiches making them relevant in the Marvel Universe. In my opinion it's a sign of cultural subordination, it's shameful, given Marvel's history and it makes little to no sense, considering how this helps promoting and endorsing the relevance of the "distinguished competition".

TL; DR: If I wanted to read about DC like characters I would buy DC comics instead of Marvel's.
    I'm the opposite. I've always loved the Squadron Sinister/Supreme BECAUSE they were JLA knock-offs. As a kid, my friends and I would always argue about "Who would win" in a fight between Marvel and DC heroes. Avengers Volume 1, #70 showed how some of those fights would go, years before any type of inter-company crossovers ever happened. These types of characters (from both companies) have always been so much fun to read about. As far as only reading Marvel comics, why? A lot of my favorite writers and artists have worked for both companies through the years, and I tend to read books that feature their talents no matter who they work for.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I keep forgetting this Heroes Reborn Redux is happening till I see this thread. So uninterested.
    Why go out of your way to post then?

Fantastic Member

I tried Aaron's Avengers recently but am having a hard time getting along with it. I am a sucker for anything Squadron though, so this may be worth a look. Plus it'll be over with minimum repercussions anyways, I imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    I'm the opposite. I've always loved the Squadron Sinister/Supreme BECAUSE they were JLA knock-offs. As a kid, my friends and I would always argue about "Who would win" in a fight between Marvel and DC heroes. Avengers Volume 1, #70 showed how some of those fights would go, years before any type of inter-company crossovers ever happened. These types of characters (from both companies) have always been so much fun to read about. As far as only reading Marvel comics, why? A lot of my favorite writers and artists have worked for both companies through the years, and I tend to read books that feature their talents no matter who they work for.
    I’ve always loved the Squadron as well. Mark Gruenwald’s maxi run did it for me. Plus the issue #70 fight. Gruenwald could do with the characters that DC never could. I want most of the tie ins. They all look pretty good. I am not a fan of Aaron because of what he did to Thor Odison and his Avengers run has been less than mediocre.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Where are these spoilers from?

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Why go out of your way to post then?
    Why not? Minimal effort. Enjoy it though, if there is anything to enjoy.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Put simply: because Marvel is Marvel and DC is DC. I've no issue with the Squadron being the evil team from time to time (after all heroes need challeges and stories need conflict to work) I've a lot of issues with making DC-like characters central in Marvel's narrative (it's not only the squadron, it's also Sentry/Gladiator and to a lesser degree Blue Marvel, all being superman's pastiches) when Marvel was built on the premise of being different from DC and that allowed it to outsell DC and its archetype/heroes to the point DC was forced to change them chasing the Marvel's formula (they suceeded with Batman but still failed with Superman and Wonder Woman imo). Now we have a bunch of authors who pander to those same archetype/heroes to the detriment of their own.