Page 88 of 94 FirstFirst ... 3878848586878889909192 ... LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 1407

I think Marvel's had a stat readjustment over the last 10+ years.

You've got street-level heroes like Daredevil Punisher, Elektra, etc. Without any physical enhancements. That's the area Batman should be on, stats anyway.

Then you've got a step above that with Captain America, Black Panther, and Bucky. They use to refer to this as peak human, but it's enhanced human. And they've got the stats and feats to surpass mere humans.

After that, you've got this fluid range of characters like Spider-Man, Blade, and DarkHawk. These characters can mingle with characters at street level to Enhanced, but they also show upper limits surpassing those categories.

Then after that, you get to mid-tiers.

So in a straight-up fight, I don't see how Batman beats Cap unless he uses tricker or gadgets.

With DC, it's a little interesting tho. Thanks to Batman and the Batfamily, they don't have the more defined stat ranges Marvel does. There's street-level then theirs the: Supermans, Wonder Woman, and others. There are some beings beyond that too.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Outlawed and the iron man 2020 events was going on also! Man earth was busy that week!
    That one was a continuity error in Ironheart 2020. Fantastic Four and Power Pack establish Outlawed as being after Empyre - and therefore after Iron Man 2020. King in Black takes place between Champions 5 and 6 it seems, as Miles and Kamala feature in a tie-in in Miles's solo book.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Heroes Reborn...just another reason Marvel should STOP with all the damned events for a good 10 - 15 years. Get back to some solid character driven stories instead of constant spectacle.
    Yeah but this event didn't interrupt any other comics and be easily skipped so if anything its an improvement

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Yeah but this event didn't interrupt any other comics and be easily skipped so if anything its an improvement
    Yea I don't understand this. All those other characters driven stories were still happening and people who wanted to read an event got an event. I don't understand the criticism people have when every single thing marvel puts out isn't catered to them. Same thing when people ask if there are too many books...like you don't have to read everything if you're not interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    Same thing when people ask if there are too many books...like you don't have to read everything if you're not interested.
    It's a quality control issue. Many people believe that Marvel simply doesn't have the talent to sustain the amount of books they put out and if they would cut back the quality would rise across the entire line. With the level of talent Marvel has their ceiling is about thirty titles IMHO, forty if you're generous.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 06-30-2021 at 10:09 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    It's a quality control issue. Many people believe that Marvel simply doesn't have the talent to sustain the amount of books they put out and if they would cut back the quality would rise across the entire line. With the level of talent Marvel has their ceiling is about thirty titles IMHO, forty if you're generous.
    Yeah, this mini definitely needed some damn quality control.

Coulson's characterization made no sense whatsoever.

If they explained how Blade remembered the real world, I seemed to have missed it.

The return and victory of the Avengers lacked an amazing amount of gravitas. They returned rather casually, and won in all of one fight.

How it was all accomplished was poorly explained. Given how long Cosmic Cubes have been around, and how big the change was, they needed at least a scene or two explaining that.

When you consider how pointless all the prior issues were to the resolution, we only really had two issues of actual plot driven content.

So yeah, this thing should have gotten slapped down by quality control, if it existed :P

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I disagree with this heavily. It's not like there's a dearth of talent in comic book writing. It's on them to recruit and support new talent. Part of the issue when it comes to "quality control" is again...not all talent is going to produce things that you like. Biggest example is Coates. Extremely gifted writer, has very loyal fans that like his specific type of writing. There are also a lot of people who don't like his approach to comics. That doesn't mean there's a problem, it just means it's not for those fans.

Aaron is the same. He writes like a Saturday morning cartoon. If you want complex, interwoven plots with deep character development, he is not writing for you. He enjoys writing battles that allow him to put the characters in new situations. If you enjoy that, you'll be fine with Aaron. Not everyone is going to write like Hickman, but also not everyone WANTS to write like Hickman, and not all fans enjoy Hickman either.
    Last edited by Tracks; 07-01-2021 at 09:36 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Yeah, this mini definitely needed some damn quality control.

Coulson's characterization made no sense whatsoever.

If they explained how Blade remembered the real world, I seemed to have missed it.

The return and victory of the Avengers lacked an amazing amount of gravitas. They returned rather casually, and won in all of one fight.

How it was all accomplished was poorly explained. Given how long Cosmic Cubes have been around, and how big the change was, they needed at least a scene or two explaining that.

When you consider how pointless all the prior issues were to the resolution, we only really had two issues of actual plot driven content.

So yeah, this thing should have gotten slapped down by quality control, if it existed :P
    Blade gives his hypothesis at the end of the issue, by saying his connection to the supernatural allowed him to retain his memory. They also didn't fully resolve the plot because there's a vampire connection that is left for a future story.

But again yea, this is what I mean above. Aaron isn't writing a plot driven story and if thats what you're expecting with each issue you're always going to be disappointed. He wants to write fun fights

Ultimate Member

Blade gives his hypothesis at the end of the issue, by saying his connection to the supernatural allowed him to retain his memory. They also didn't fully resolve the plot because there's a vampire connection that is left for a future story.

But again yea, this is what I mean above. Aaron isn't writing a plot driven story and if thats what you're expecting with each issue you're always going to be disappointed. He wants to write fun fights
    Given the sheer volume of super natural characters out there, it really ought to be better explained.

Mighty Member

Given the sheer volume of super natural characters out there, it really ought to be better explained.

Well for one it's not done yet. They hinted at their being a vampiric explanation because the vampires are the only other creatures with Mephisto during the reveal. Blade also wasn't the only person who knew the world was messed up though, and it did seem like a few other people saw through the hold to varying degrees. Echo (Phoenix) for instance had a pretty clear memory also.

Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    IIRC it delayed Savage Avengers and the Thor, Captain America and Iron Man on-goings for a month.

I disagree with this heavily. It's not like there's a dearth of talent in comic book writing. It's on them to recruit and support new talent. Part of the issue when it comes to "quality control" is again...not all talent is going to produce things that you like. Biggest example is Coates. Extremely gifted writer, has very loyal fans that like his specific type of writing. There are also a lot of people who don't like his approach to comics. That doesn't mean there's a problem, it just means it's not for those fans.

Aaron is the same. He writes like a Saturday morning cartoon. If you want complex, interwoven plots with deep character development, he is not writing for you. He enjoys writing battles and allow him to put the characters in New situations. If you enjoy that, you'll be fine with Aaron. Not everyone is going to write like Hickman, but also not everyone WANTS to write like Hickman, and not all fans enjoy Hickman either.
    …….by this reasoning there is no such thing as bad writing because every writer can come on board and write whatever the hell they feel like during that day of the week and continuity be damned, I guess all the other writers that try to build a balance between innovative ideas and traditional canon are just wasting their time…..
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Blade is the only living Dhampir in the 616

Also, you know better than to expect a real explanation from this event
    The J-man

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    …….by this reasoning there is no such thing as bad writing because every writer can come on board and write whatever the hell they feel like during that day of the week and continuity be damned, I guess all the other writers that try to build a balance between innovative ideas and traditional canon are just wasting their time…..
    no that's not the same logic at all. the logic is there are more than 5-6 good writers in existence. what people are reacting to are stylistic differences because the majority of writers that come to marvel were successful prior to coming to marvel and many have relatively successful writing projects going on while they write for marvel.

like that was a great example you just gave. who says a good marvel comic has to engage with sufficiently with continuity? as if there aren't really good comics/stories that take place on alternative universities or are more intentionally self-contained.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Nothing makes me laugh more than "planet-wide events" that are usually limited to the same 10-12 characters -- or derivative characters of those 10-12 characters.
    Yep. "Planet wide events" or "effects every corner of the Marvel Universe" -- and they completely ignore 70% of the planet, i.e. the underwater civilizations. Or Europe. Or Asia. Or Africa. Or South America. Or any part of North America except New York.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?