Page 51 of 94 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    I am sorry but that is some of the most cringiest dialogue i have read in any book.

"You have broken my hand by flexing your super-neck muscles, but how???"

As far as non-canon stuff, i think i am better off reading the Mech Avengers.

I think the dialog is deliberately cringe-worthy.

And I don't think Hyperion broke Dr Juggernaut's hand. The sentence is incomplete but I think Hyperion just broke his grip on his throat. In the Coulson montage page later on, they're still slugging it out.

Quote Originally Posted by kalai View Post
    I thought the first issue was decent, the art is awesome,
    but the mystery doesn't intrigue me, it's probably just Mephisto, so not really any suspense to the story.
    Definitely Ed McGuinness is delivering here. His style is so bombastic to me and a book filled with characters bashing on each other is right up his alley. Factoring in Aaron's plot/writing I would give the whole thing a C +. I will get the next issue but right now I'm not ranking it a "must read" mini event.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I do agree with some sentiments that this was scheduled to go up against DC's 5G. It just screams Marvel saying to customers - Don't like Jon Kent as Superman? Here is Hyperion doing Silver Age Superman things. Here is Peter Parker as Jimmy Olsen. Here is a LoSH books in Hyperion and The Imperial Guard. Obviously 5G was canned and we got Infinite Frontier instead.
    Of course, Jon Kent as Superman is still happening.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by pinoypanzer View Post
    He appeared in 3 panels and had a couple of lines.
    Thanks. Your help is greatly appreciated.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    You should probably let it go, true. You have an in-universe explanation for something but are neglecting to explain why that should negate the out of universe explanation. Jason Aaron had Coulson teaching them to speak that way for a reason-specifically to spoof silver age comics
    It wasn't for purposes to spoof Silver age comics though.

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    So it's not "because Coulson programmed them to speak that way" now?
    Lol what? I never said that.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Sorry but your argument is failing on where you put the justifications.
    One is the content of the story and the other is the intention of the writer and one and other are not mutually excluyent. It is not one or the other when perfectly both are operating at the same time.
    Aaron can be making fun of DC heroes and at the same time using the story as excuse for do it.

By the way, someone else noticed than Dr. Juggernaut was very close to be Dr. Doomsday? (The spikes, people, the spikes).
    Yes but i don't see it as him making fun of DC heroes, the language he is using isn't even exclusive to DC heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I think the dialog is deliberately cringe-worthy.
    It could be the problem is Aaron has written quite a few times cringe dialogue that he didn't intend to be cringe, hell just recently he made a post on his blog explaining how much he loves writing saying he thinks about it when he is on the toilet, when having sex, when running, when sleeping, when eating, etc... and it came out as a meme copy pasta, it was kinda unhinged, so i dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    And I don't think Hyperion broke Dr Juggernaut's hand. The sentence is incomplete but I think Hyperion just broke his grip on his throat. In the Coulson montage page later on, they're still slugging it out.
    I mean it looks broken, but maybe, either way not a very important detail.
    Last edited by Intothevoid; 05-06-2021 at 01:16 PM.

Mighty Member

Youre so close to getting it but still refusing to. The squadron Supreme are analogs for the justice league. It is not a coincidence that in imagining a world where marvels version of the justice league are central to the universe, the dialogue regressed to silver age clichés. The dual purpose is to exaggerate those aspects of the characters so MOST readers can tell who each character is a stand in for. So the Hyperion scene is exaggerated so people can tell he's the superman stand in. Same for Dr. Spectrum/Green Lanter, Night Hawk/Batman, etc.
    Last edited by Tracks; 05-06-2021 at 02:06 PM.

BANNED

Yea if it wasn't for Hyperions dialogue no one would have ever guessed he was a Superman stand in.

Jesus Christ...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    Yea if it wasn't for Hyperions dialogue no one would have ever guessed he was a Superman stand in.

Jesus Christ...
    ...the irony of you spending a day arguing that the silver age dialog wasn't done in reference to the DC heroes, and then coming back with "well of course they were obviously DC heroes".

Youre all over the place. In one post hes making things too obvious, in another nothing is made clear.

It's been said before, critique of the themes he chose to explore is fine, but I don't think you understood what you read.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    ...the irony of you spending a day arguing that the silver age dialog wasn't done in reference to the DC heroes, and then coming back with "well of course they were obviously DC heroes".

Youre all over the place. In one post hes making things too obvious, in another nothing is made clear.

It's been said before, critique of the themes he chose to explore is fine, but I don't think you understood what you read.
    When did i deny that Squadron Supreme aren't a reference to DC heroes?

Maybe i am just being too subtle for you.

It's a good thing i have you here then to tell me that if Hyperion didn't talk all goofy none of us would get that he is meant to be Superman, it's not the looks, the backstory, the atomic vision, the power that comes from the Sun, etc... it was the dialogue that gave it away, thanks captain obvious.

BANNED

Btw i did some digging and according to Aaron, a lot of what will be shown in Heroes Reborn is actually a direct reference to WORLD’S FINEST #258, which came out in 1979. I haven't found a direct reference to the dialogue there but the story itself is quite goofy with a girl turning into a centaur and Batman turning into a bat monster. So for the sake of just ending this i will concede the point that Hyperion talks the way he talks because it spoofs/references Bronze age of comics actually, which wasn't really as goofy as Silver age, but still.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cataphract View Post
    Indeed, in truth this version of the Squadron is more a mix of the Justice League and the Seven from the Boys it looks like. I’m curious though if they are all aware of it or if it is just Nighthawk.

Like that one JLA episode where they went to that world which had Stewart’s comic book heroes but it was all an illusion projected by a mutant fanboy wherein the projected heroes fought back against the mutant fanboy because they were heroes.
    I remember that episode. It's a good, solid heartbreaker of an episode with a great message at the end that just because reality is hard to live with, doesn't mean you should retreat into a fantasy world, even if you have the power to make it "real enough." Considering this Squadron is a bunch of demonic simulacra, I'm wondering if we get a similar ending, but explained as them "growing beyond their programming" to become the heroes they think they are.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Incredible Member

What's so hard about saying, "You know, it didn't occur to me before, but you guys are right. Aaron purposefully wrote Silver Age dialogue in this issue."

No one would think less of you for it. In fact, everyone is thinking lesser of you now for derailing a thread over such a stupid, petty debate.

does power princess have a secret identity here or is she PP full time?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    does power princess have a secret identity here or is she PP full time?
    Her real name --- insofar as she has a real name, given her true origin and nature --- is Zarda Shelton. Not sure it's a secret identity, though.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

The original Zarda is basically an Inhuman, they didn't actually copy Wonder Woman's origin (which at the time would've been the clay construct one).
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Zarda...on_(Earth-712)
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Spectacular Member

The point of the Silver age dialogue is basically that Coulson is a fan of heroes, even reading comics, that cringe stuff where it was a clear good vs bad, white and black world, it's because that is Coulson's idea of how heroes should be, the Squadron Supreme are literally made to represent those Silver age comics from the past, like saying Coulson thinks that is how heroes should be, so he made his Squadron like that.

It's the point of that universe, it's not as complicated and well developed as the current comics, this are simply the Squadron are the greatest heroes who always win and they defeat the villains, even killing them.

The Silver Age dialogue is done to make a point that the current universe is based on those comics and that old world, even exagerating the personality of the characters.