Page 20 of 94 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    And for the record, I would have liked to have seen Marvel use one of their other Superman analogues -- like Miracle Man or even Blue Marvel here. But it looks like this is strictly for Hype's hype.
    Hyperion is one of th eprotagonists of the event, this i sa riff on superboy + legion of superheroes

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    Hyperion is one of th eprotagonists of the event, this i sa riff on superboy + legion of superheroes
    I know. Nevertheless, it would be nice if Marvel got more of its other characters involved in some way. But maybe they will. I mean it's not like they've cast the parts for the Spectre and Dr. Manhattan yet.

I think for the purposes of this series, yes. But Gladiator's name is Kallark (i.e., "Clark"), so it's possible the Gladiator that we are seeing in Heroes Reborn will be a composite character of Mon-El and one of the Superboys.
    I think that are elements later writers added, like the cousin, for example, but I sippose in his original conception, Claremont's conception, Gladiator was more close to Mon-El than Superboy.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I know. Nevertheless, it would be nice if Marvel got more of its other characters involved in some way. But maybe they will. I mean it's not like they've cast the parts for the Spectre and Dr. Manhattan yet.
    An excellent oportunity to introduce Marvel Man (Mike Moran) to the Marvel Universe!
    (C'mon Aaron, I know you want to do it!!)
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    They already did. A couple of years ago DC did an event called "Metal" and they did spin-offs using old and new characters that were not direct parodies of Marvel titles, but were analogues and homages to various Marvel archetypes...Sideways (Spiderman), The Terrifics ( FF), Damage (The Hulk), Silencer ( Punisher)...there was another one that was the 70's version of The Defenders, but I can't remember the title.
    The Unexpected. Yeah, they usually do this from time to time. Now is Marvel turn.

Wait a sec, why can't Marvel use Malibu characters? I thought they owned them all outright.
    They simply don't want. They could brought back the characters but they never had interest in them or the coloring dept, they just wanted to keep their share of the market, which they would had lose if DC would had brought Malibu.

I think it's so annoying that Marvel continues to limit the numbers of the Squadron Supreme. Amphibian, Skymax the Skrullian Skymaster, Arcanna, Red Eagle (since Blue Eagle stands in for Hawkman, maybe Red Eagle, some female linked to him - sister, cousin, ex-girlfriend, etc...- could stand in for Hawkwoman, who has been quite prominent for many years with the League), Lady Lark, Black/Golden Archer, etc... Any of them could add more diversity to the ranks of the Squadron on a more consistent basis. As much as I love the Squadron, those five usually are the ones that less interest me.

Peace

the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver amalgam Silver Witch is also on the cover. They too originated briefly as villains in the Marvel U.

"After the Civil War that split the Squadron Supreme in half, Nighthawk formed his own Squadron in Europe," reads Marvel's description. "But not all of Europe is okay with it. Baron Zemo has put together his own team to take them down and the Squadron doesn't stand a chance."

Next: The Thunderbolts Squad!

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post

the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver amalgam Silver Witch is also on the cover. They too originated briefly as villains in the Marvel U.

"After the Civil War that split the Squadron Supreme in half, Nighthawk formed his own Squadron in Europe," reads Marvel's description. "But not all of Europe is okay with it. Baron Zemo has put together his own team to take them down and the Squadron doesn't stand a chance."
    So...Justice League Europe vs the good Thunderbolts with Hawkeye and Black Widow?

You know, the more I see of this event, the more I think I’m gonna sit it out. It feels as pointless as Age of Ultron and Age of X-Man. I’m just glad it’s not pulling any of the comics line into it.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I think that are elements later writers added, like the cousin, for example, but I sippose in his original conception, Claremont's conception, Gladiator was more close to Mon-El than Superboy.
    I'm pretty sure Gladiator was modeled after Superboy, not Mon-El. Look no further than the emblem on his chest. Mon-El has never worn anything of the kind on his chest, let alone a triangle which bears similar features to the diamond crest "S" that Superboy wore if you inverted it.

Further, the DC comic became Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes in 1977. Guess what year Gladiator (and the Imperial Guard) was first introduced? Yep, 1977. I highly doubt that Marvel would bother to homage the team and leave Superboy out of the mix during that era.

And just to put a bow on this, do you remember how Claremont referred to Gladiator when he fought Colossus in X-Men #137? IIRC, I believe CC used the phrase "Man of Steel" or something to that effect. Everyone knows that is Superman's sobriquet, not Mon-El's.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post

https://www.gamesradar.com/spider-ma...born-spin-off/

I am loving this DC Rebirth, good job Doctor Manhattan!
    This only will matter if Peter marries a redhead gorilla.

I'm pretty sure Gladiator was modeled after Superboy, not Mon-El. Look no further than the emblem on his chest. Mon-El has never worn anything of the kind on his chest, let alone a triangle which bears similar features to the diamond crest "S" that Superboy wore if you inverted it.

Further, the DC comic became Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes in 1977. Guess what year Gladiator (and the Imperial Guard) was first introduced? Yep, 1977. I highly doubt that Marvel would bother to homage the team and leave Superboy out of the mix during that era.

And just to put a bow on this, do you remember how Claremont referred to Gladiator when he fought Colossus in X-Men #137? IIRC, I believe CC used the phrase "Man of Steel" or something to that effect. Everyone knows that is Superman's sobriquet, not Mon-El's.
    You won this trial sir, but remember, I Will Be Back. Dundun dun dundun.

What sucks is the one shots and series are likely preventing new books until after the event it seems.

What if Marvel is DC had to be the one sentence pitch was it?