Page 22 of 94 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Lang's outfit looks a lot like Eric O'Grady's.
    Are we sure that's Scott and not O'Grady? I mean, we've got Widow and Clint there but also Sabertooth, so...

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Maybe Namor would be treated like Black Manta instead?
    Technically, Marvel does have Black Moray, which is the analog to Black Manta. Since they appear to be combining multiple characters, I would take Namor McKenzie, Black Moray and Blue Marvel and merge them into the Black Manta analog. Easy enough to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Are we sure that's Scott and not O'Grady? I mean, we've got Widow and Clint there but also Sabertooth, so...
    Marvel's press release refers to him as Scott Lang.

Mighty Member

My only question is 'is this going to be another earth shattering crises event?' because I don't think I have the stamina for another one so soon after King in Black.

We've just had two with another one finishing up, it's starting to get exhausting.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm happy to see Hawkeye wearing something that doesn't involve a t-shirt and shades.
    Hawkeye would like a word with you.

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Hawkeye would like a word with you.

That is kinda pretty suitable for the context, then and now.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Marvel's press release refers to him as Scott Lang.
    This kind of reminds me of his Panther's Quest cartoon design which was more Black Ant than Ant-Man.

Actually, didn't that Avengers Assemble cartoon have an episode with a similar premise?

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Actually, didn't that Avengers Assemble cartoon have an episode with a similar premise?
    Yup:

Mighty Member

The Avengers cartoon sucked. Unfortunately, if recent issues of "the Avengers" are anything to go by, that is probably a good preview of what Aaron is planning.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Astonishing Member

OK, I think we all agree that this "Heroes Reborn" thing is basically turning Marvel Universe into a wannabe version of the Squadron Supreme. We should check the points where we can find the similarities:

+ The Squadron Supreme is clearly a parody of the main heroes from DC: Hyperion is Superman, Nighthawk is Batman, Power Princess is Wonder Woman, Doctor Spectrum is Green Lanter, and Blurr/Whizzer is Flash.

+ By the solicitations, it seems the Negative Zone is used to send all criminals and "problematic individuals" that can't be killed out of the world. Sounds a lot like the Phantom Zone that Superman's native Krypton used.

+ Enemies of Hyperion are Ultron, General Annihilus and the Immortal Hulk. Ultron must be something similar to Superman's Metallo, "General Annihilus" makes me think about General Zod, and the Immortal Hulk can be either Bizarro or Solomon Grundy (considering his current "zombie" self).

+ They call Blur "the swiftest mortal alive", just like Flash is called "the Fastest Man Alive".

+ Ravencroft Institute is now "Ravencroft Asylum", which sounds very similar to Arkham Asylum. Quite ironic, because Ravencroft was created as a copy of Arkham Asylum.

+ They call Rocket Raccoon as the "most notorious bounty hunter of the galaxy". Is it just me, or someone else sees similarities with DC's Lobo?

+ The Champions have been transformed into "Young Squadron", which is a clear copy of "Young Justice". Kamala is now a "Wonder Girl", except her name is "Girl Power"; not "Power Girl". Miles is like Nighthawk's version of Robin as Falcon, and Nova... Well, he could technically "Teen Lantern", but Riri Williams as Ironheart suit the place better.

+ Deadpool appearing as the potential antagonist of the Young Squadron is a clear reference to the role of his counterpart in DC, Deathstroke. Ironically, Deadpool was created based on Deathstroke.

+ By the description of "Magneto and the Mutant Force", I'll say the Mutants had the luck I feared with the Squadron in charge. Being more aggresive than the Avengers, the Squadron seems to have massacred Mutants; and the survivors seems to be gathering into something similar to DC's Doom Patrol.

+ Thanos apparently using the Infinity Stones as rings might be a reference to Sinestro and other Lantern Corps in DC.

There's one detail, however, that confuses me. You see, the Infinity Stones are 6, but there are only Five Rings in Thanos' hand. There's one stone missing, which one? Considering how the wold was changed, I'm going to say the Reality Stone is in different hands, and it might me the key to change everything back.

Doctor Spectum = Green Lantern. Until Bendis, there was no GL sidekick (the closest thing was the golden age GL's daughter Jade), but then he introduced Teen Lantern in his Young Justice series. So yeah, Kid Spectrum is clearly inspired by her. Besides which, the Nova Corps have long been considered an ersatz of the Green Lantern Corps, so it makes sense that Sam ends up as a Spectrum. I agree though, that Riri could've been included as well. She could even still be Ironheart - she'd be to Hyperion what Steel (another armored hero) is to Superman. Apparently Zub kept it to just the core three because Young Squadron is only a one-shot.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    There's one detail, however, that confuses me. You see, the Infinity Stones are 6, but there are only Five Rings in Thanos' hand. There's one stone missing, which one? Considering how the wold was changed, I'm going to say the Reality Stone is in different hands, and it might me the key to change everything back.
    My guess is that Thanos has only 5 rings to match the main colors of the emotional spectrum for the Lantern rings -- Green, Blue, Red, Yellow and Orange. Yes, I know there are also Black, Indigo, Violet and White Lanterns, but trying to keep it simple. If they wanted to, they could have gone to 10 rings like the Mandarin, used all of the emotional spectrum colors and then invented one last one for the purposes of the event. But I guess that would have required too much creative energy.

By the way, there are actually more than 6 Infinity Stones/Soul gems, but no one ever mentions the Ego gem. There may be even more as the whole point of the gems is to account for the primary aspects of the cosmos that yielded them. I can think of a few things a cosmos would have not covered by Mind, Soul, Space, Time, Power, Ego and Reality alone.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    My guess is that Thanos has only 5 rings to match the main colors of the emotional spectrum for the Lantern rings -- Green, Blue, Red, Yellow and Orange. Yes, I know there are also Black, Indigo, Violet and White Lanterns, but trying to keep it simple. If they wanted to, they could have gone to 10 rings like the Mandarin, used all of the emotional spectrum colors and then invented one last one for the purposes of the event. But I guess that would have required too much creative energy.

By the way, there are actually more than 6 Infinity Stones/Soul gems, but no one ever mentions the Ego gem. There may be even more as the whole point of the gems is to account for the primary aspects of the cosmos that yielded them. I can think of a few things a cosmos would have not covered by Mind, Soul, Space, Time, Power, Ego and Reality alone.
    Well, we are still talking about the Infinity Stones that usually gather in the Infinity Gauntlet, so let's leave out of this all those others.

There's something else I want to comment. "Heroes Reborn" is clearly turning Marvel Universe in a plastiche of DC Comics, using the Squadron Supreme as the keystone. Well, based on previous comics about the Squadron, we know there have been more than just the main 5. So, here's the things. We know the Five originals are simulacrums created by Mephisto, but do you think we will see the other DC's plastiches somehow? These were the main ones:
    + Skrullian Skymaster (Skymax): Skrull plastiche of the Martian Manhunter.
    + Amphibian (Kingsley Rice): Plastiche of Aquaman.
    + Blue Eagle (James Dore Jr): Plastiche of Hawkman.
    + Golden/Black Archer (Wyatt McDonald): Plastiche of Green Arrow.
    + Lady Lark/Skylark: Plastiche of Black Canary first, then of HawkGirl.
    + Tom Thumb (Thomas Thompson): Plastiche of the Atom.
    + Moonglow (Arcanna Jones): Plastiche of Zatanna.
    + Nuke (Albert Gaines): Plastiche of Firestorm.

I see several ways for these characters to appear too. First, maybe Mephisto will create more plastiches (which I doubt). Second, maybe the Squadron will recruit characters that share their abilities and give them those identities. For example, Mockingbird and Lady Lark or Hank Pym as Tom Thumb.

There's another thing. In the original comics of the Squadron, these guys used a "Behaviour Modification Device" to brainwash criminals and either turn them civils or new recruits for the Squadron. Do you think we will see it in this event? I can imagine this Nighthawk using a device like to "reprogram" any character he might find "utility". So, what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Well, we are still talking about the Infinity Stones that usually gather in the Infinity Gauntlet, so let's leave out of this all those others.

There's something else I want to comment. "Heroes Reborn" is clearly turning Marvel Universe in a plastiche of DC Comics, using the Squadron Supreme as the keystone. Well, based on previous comics about the Squadron, we know there have been more than just the main 5. So, here's the things. We know the Five originals are simulacrums created by Mephisto, but do you think we will see the other DC's plastiches somehow? These were the main ones:
    + Skrullian Skymaster (Skymax): Skrull plastiche of the Martian Manhunter.
    + Amphibian (Kingsley Rice): Plastiche of Aquaman.
    + Blue Eagle (James Dore Jr): Plastiche of Hawkman.
    + Golden/Black Archer (Wyatt McDonald): Plastiche of Green Arrow.
    + Lady Lark/Skylark: Plastiche of Black Canary first, then of HawkGirl.
    + Tom Thumb (Thomas Thompson): Plastiche of the Atom.
    + Moonglow (Arcanna Jones): Plastiche of Zatanna.
    + Nuke (Albert Gaines): Plastiche of Firestorm.

I see several ways for these characters to appear too. First, maybe Mephisto will create more plastiches (which I doubt). Second, maybe the Squadron will recruit characters that share their abilities and give them those identities. For example, Mockingbird and Lady Lark or Hank Pym as Tom Thumb.

There's another thing. In the original comics of the Squadron, these guys used a "Behaviour Modification Device" to brainwash criminals and either turn them civils or new recruits for the Squadron. Do you think we will see it in this event? I can imagine this Nighthawk using a device like to "reprogram" any character he might find "utility". So, what do you think?
    I think I've missed something. I thought the original SS were truly alternate Earth inhabitants from 712. A bit later the Grandmaster would create his own version of the Squadron Supreme, but they weren't the actual 712 versions. Later still, of course, we'd see other AU versions of Hyperion and the Squadron turn up, all based on different alternate Earths. The most current version of the SS was created by Mephisto, but as far as I know, that isn't the same team that hailed from the 712 universe, or any of the alternate universes. And then there's Hickman's Hyperion, who was supposedly the sole remaining survivor of his alternate universe. Ummm, yeah, I'm confused. I need to go re-read those comics.

As for the Behavior Modification device, if memory serves that was created by Tom Thumb and Ape X, both of whom are dead. The 712 alternate universe was subsequently destroyed, which presumably means that all of the science that went into creating the device was lost. That said, 616 has some of the most advanced technology of any Earth. Similar mind altering devices already exist. It wouldn't take much for someone to concoct a B-mod machine, if the writers wanted to do so. Or they could just use any of a number of omega level telepaths on the planet to execute behavior mod protocols.