Page 24 of 94 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474 ... LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    not gonna lie didn't realize that was Blade at first. His face kind of has a purple shad to it, and they gave him red eyes... which is new.
    Somehow they got his fingers the right color, just not his face.

Unless ... maybe this Blade was also combined with DC's Amazing-Man, and he's replicating the purple mountainside terrain behind him? Naw, they wouldn't do that, would they?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mighty Member

Blade's new design is pretty cool. Probably the most we've seen his look vary since the movies came out.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    That's the fun part of the homage, imho. The pastiche is immediately recognizable and you have to smile just a bit before seeing what trouble Marvel has brewing. I also think Power Princess is every bit as a good a name for a character as Wonder Woman. The name is usually the first indication as to whether or not you're looking at a genuine homage, or a lampoon. Marvel nailed it here.

Where they went wrong is that they didn't create a better version of Diana. She was originally a construct of the gods. I thought Marvel should have taken that one step further and made PP the daughter of one of the non-Greco Roman pantheon of gods. Of course now Diana's origin has been changed to establish that she is the biological daughter of Zeus. Marvel could have beaten DC to the punch and perhaps made it unlikely for DC to want to imitate the homage. That was a missed opportunity.

I do agree that Power Princess needs a costume that doesn't so closely mirror Diana's. That shouldn't be too difficult to do.
    A lot of WW fans hate the daughter of Zeus angle, so Power Princess can have it.

That's partly because she nicked that origin off her sidekick! Cassie Sandsmark was retconned from being Zeus's daughter to being his granddaughter.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

That, and the fact that the Zeus retcon desecrates the feminist nature of Diana's backstory.

Mighty Member

also that's definitely a mephisto re-design or something that they're all facing down, right?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    not gonna lie didn't realize that was Blade at first. His face kind of has a purple shad to it, and they gave him red eyes... which is new.
    The purple skin caught me too.

I thought he always had vampire eyes which is why they gave him shades.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    also that's definitely a mephisto re-design or something that they're all facing down, right?
    He doesn't even have to be redesigned. Just his presence is a spoiler - albeit an obvious one considering his link to the current Squadron Supreme.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    The purple skin caught me too.

I thought he always had vampire eyes which is why they gave him shades.
    No. If you see his eyes in the Original Tomb of Dracula and the majority of his comic appearances they are normal.

He had red eyes after he read the Darkhold and became Switchblade in Midnight Sons: Nightstalkers. He had Yellow eyes when eh was wearing the Boy-thing armor and fighting Gladiator. Then in the 2011 anime he could change his eyes to a yellow hue when he flexed his vamp strength. Other then that his eyes look like a regular human.

He use to wear goggles when Wolfman created him. The modern version wears sunglasses to block his opponents from seeing where he is looking, allowing him to conceal his attacks. It also protects his eyes from UV lights and blood splater.
    The J-man

Mighty Member

Could be something about being the last vampire or some deal with the devil he made to remember everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    A lot of WW fans hate the daughter of Zeus angle, so Power Princess can have it.
    Well, there are ways and then there are ways. According to one version of the myth, Athena sprouted from the head of Zeus. They could have arranged a similar origin for Power Princess, whereby she springs from the head of Durga, Nemesis, Isis, Izanami or any number of powerful goddesses. An origin like that makes her a goddess, possibly even a goddess of color, and it keeps the feminist crowd happy because there's no male component to PP's (her)story. Follow that up with a snazzy look, more independent appearances away from the SS group, and Power Princess easily becomes one of Marvel's more successful homages along with Hyperion, Nighthawk and Gladiator.

Astonishing Member

My guess is that Thanos has only 5 rings to match the main colors of the emotional spectrum for the Lantern rings -- Green, Blue, Red, Yellow and Orange. Yes, I know there are also Black, Indigo, Violet and White Lanterns, but trying to keep it simple. If they wanted to, they could have gone to 10 rings like the Mandarin, used all of the emotional spectrum colors and then invented one last one for the purposes of the event. But I guess that would have required too much creative energy.

By the way, there are actually more than 6 Infinity Stones/Soul gems, but no one ever mentions the Ego gem. There may be even more as the whole point of the gems is to account for the primary aspects of the cosmos that yielded them. I can think of a few things a cosmos would have not covered by Mind, Soul, Space, Time, Power, Ego and Reality alone.
    Yeah, I get your point. There are different versions of the Squadron Supreme, and their villain versions are called "Squadron Sinister". But either way, all of them share more or less the same characteristics, names, powers and stuff. The Squadron Supreme of America are Simulacrums created by Mephisto and programmed by the Power Elite; but their programming apparently gives them a backstory identical of the Squadron's members of Earth-712.

About the Behaviour Modification Device, I know it was originally from Earth-712; but the fact is, other versions of the Squadron Supreme had that same technology. No matter which ones, all versions of the Squadron Supreme aim to be similar; although each new version "gather" the best elements of the previous ones, like an afroamerican Nighhawk or the speed-guy named Blurr instead of Whizzer to avoid confusing with the WWII hero. And considering Nighthawk is a parody of Batman, I can imagine him being smart enough to build a technology like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Sky from the Fantastic Four would be a suitable Skylark, as she has the combined powers of Hawkgirl (winged flight) and Black Canary (sonic scream). Hawkeye Clint Barton keeps his mantle, he's in the Siege Society, which is the counterpart of the Suicide Squad and the Heroes Reborn replacement of the Thunderbolts. As such, there's no need for a Golden Archer. Though of course, that role could simply go to Kate Bishop.
    Good thinking! I didn't think about Sky. But the problem is that, since the Fantastic Four don't exist in this world, then technically Johnny and Sky never met, making Sky to go to Earth. It seems Hawkeye, Black Widow and Scott Land never reformed in a world without the Avengers; but Hawkeye is not the only archer after all. Kate Bishop would be more like Speedy from DC, but maybe the Black Archer of the Squadron could be Hawkeye's brother, Trickshot.

There are several other characters that could play a part in this Heroes Reborn.
    + Star (Ripley Ryan) = Supergirl? (Or maybe more like Power Girl).
    + Captain Ultra = Martian Manhunter.
    + Namora = Aquaman? (Without the Avengers and the Fantastic Four, Namor was never found by Johnny Storm when he was an amnesiac homeless man).
    + Hank Pym = Tom Thumb? (Scott Lang seems to be a villain, but Hank Pym could take the role of Tom Thumb in the original Squadron Supreme).
    + Black Cat = Catwoman? (Potentially a full time villain as she was after Superior Spider-Man).

And there's also other plastiche characters of DC's heroes:
    + Hyperion (Superman): Sentry and Wonder Man.
    + Nighthawk (Batman): Moon Knight and Shroud.
    + Power Princess (Wonder Woman): Thundra.
    + Doctor Spectrum (Green Lantern): Quasar and Nova.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    1º) And Peter Parker sounds a lot like Jimmy Olsen. That book only will be justified if Peter Parker marries a gorilla or dress himself as a girl.

2º) I would say more like Doomsday, who was Hulk inspired, as they said.

3º) So... Black Cat will be an enemy/lover of Nighthawk?

4º) Never hear about Lobo the Duck? Yes, that was something existed and I can see the similarity here.

5º) More like Teen Titans. Speed like Kid Blur could had been interesting to see but without Wanda, he was out of the picture.

6º) This lost me. I don't see any obvious resemblance. Yes, Magneto is like Xavier there, but nothing more. Maybe if Colossus and Pyro were the members I could see more similarities.

7º) Obviously, Dr. Spectrum will have the reality stone, than Thanos want and that is why they are enemies.
    1º) Turning Peter Parker into Jimmy Olsen is an absolute insult. Honestly, I believe Spider-Man could fit a role more similar to the second Blue Beetle (Ted Kord).

2º) I don't know. Except for his incarnation as "Devil Hulk", Hulk has never been as dangerous as Doomsday. I mean, currently, Immortal Hulk is mora like an immortal zombie; but Doomsday is something way more terrible than a zombie. Maybe Devil Hulk.

3º) Enemy?, definitely. Lover?, no, considering how violent this Nighthawk is compared to Batman. I mean, Nighthawk could do to Felicia something similar to what the Superior Spider-Man did.

4º) Yeah, I remember all the issues of Amalgam, and I remember "Lobo the Duck". But honestly, I would have merged Lobo with another character; and Howard deserved something better than Lobo.

5º) "Young Justice" is used for the teen group that emulates the members of the Justice League, while the Teen Titans are a group of different kinds of teenagers. And even without Wanda, there's a chance that Speed MIGHT exist somehow, but as a different character.

6º) The Doom Patrol were a group of misfits, feared and hated, who tried to be heroes; that why they believe the X-Men were created based on them. Mutants' defeat at the hands of the Squadron could have left them in a position similar to that.

7º) That's... Actually a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Trading card variant covers by Mark Bagley.

By the "cards" revealed, I think we can guess the Squadron are all presented as the "Heroes", while the Avengers are presented as the "villains", as they try to restore the old reality. If by any chance, Captain America and Thor remain as heroes, I can see Cap becoming something like "Blue Eagle" from the Squadron Supreme (Hawkman) and Thor becoming something like Shazam.

And by the way, I think it's obvious by the card of Blur and the "tendrils" we see; but I believe we all know who the shadowed figure is: Mephisto.

PD: For some reason, the image can not be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    About the Behaviour Modification Device, I know it was originally from Earth-712; but the fact is, other versions of the Squadron Supreme had that same technology. No matter which ones, all versions of the Squadron Supreme aim to be similar; although each new version "gather" the best elements of the previous ones, like an afroamerican Nighhawk or the speed-guy named Blurr instead of Whizzer to avoid confusing with the WWII hero. And considering Nighthawk is a parody of Batman, I can imagine him being smart enough to build a technology like that.
    I agree, in theory any brilliant mind should be able to create the B-mod machine, or some version of it. It's ironic, though, that a group that is routinely getting co-opted would even want to re-introduce a mind control device. If anyone should cherish the idea of freedom of thought and self-determination -- whether good or bad -- it should be the Squadron. After all, their history is rife with either being pawns of some cosmic being that created them, or more directly being mentally controlled by someone like the Overmind. If anything, Nighthawk would be burning the midnight oil inventing 1,001 countermeasures to all forms of mind control. But then again, not every Squadron Supreme iteration is aware of the experiences of their previous counterparts. At least writers don't always write them that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    By the "cards" revealed, I think we can guess the Squadron are all presented as the "Heroes", while the Avengers are presented as the "villains", as they try to restore the old reality. If by any chance, Captain America and Thor remain as heroes, I can see Cap becoming something like "Blue Eagle" from the Squadron Supreme (Hawkman) and Thor becoming something like Shazam.
    I'm not 100% sure here, but I think the writers determined that everything prior to the advent of the Fantastic Four more or less happened the way it should. That's why you have Thor around and you see Captain America in the above image seemingly emerging from the block of melted ice in this event at some point. Thor will be Thor and Captain America will be Captain America. I don't think they'll have those characters step into a DC pastiche at all, although they very easily could. I think even Magneto gets to be Magneto as well, since his history pre-dates the FF getting their powers.

What ticks me off, though, is that there are other heroes that pre-date the FF in the fictional chronology. As near as I can tell we won't get to see any of those characters at all. A shame, really. But I get that the creative team has a story in mind and they're only going to present the characters that they want to feature. To Hell, or at least Limbo, with the rest of Marvel's long-lived characters.

Astonishing Member

I agree, in theory any brilliant mind should be able to create the B-mod machine, or some version of it. It's ironic, though, that a group that is routinely getting co-opted would even want to re-introduce a mind control device. If anyone should cherish the idea of freedom of thought and self-determination -- whether good or bad -- it should be the Squadron. After all, their history is rife with either being pawns of some cosmic being that created them, or more directly being mentally controlled by someone like the Overmind. If anything, Nighthawk would be burning the midnight oil inventing 1,001 countermeasures to all forms of mind control. But then again, not every Squadron Supreme iteration is aware of the experiences of their previous counterparts. At least writers don't always write them that way.
    The irony here is that the Squadron don't know they are pawns, and although they see themselves as heroes, their methods are far from heroic. So I can believe this Squadron Supreme of America would cross any line, like brainwashing or mind controlling to make America great.

I'm not 100% sure here, but I think the writers determined that everything prior to the advent of the Fantastic Four more or less happened the way it should. That's why you have Thor around and you see Captain America in the above image seemingly emerging from the block of melted ice in this event at some point. Thor will be Thor and Captain America will be Captain America. I don't think they'll have those characters step into a DC pastiche at all, although they very easily could. I think even Magneto gets to be Magneto as well, since his history pre-dates the FF getting their powers.

What ticks me off, though, is that there are other heroes that pre-date the FF in the fictional chronology. As near as I can tell we won't get to see any of those characters at all. A shame, really. But I get that the creative team has a story in mind and they're only going to present the characters that they want to feature. To Hell, or at least Limbo, with the rest of Marvel's long-lived characters.
    The Squadron will see the Avengers as villains in their "perfect world", but if the Squadron Supreme is who finds Cap instead of the Avengers and joins their team; I could see him adapting the wings of Red Raven and becoming something like Blue Eagle, who was like a mix between Hawkman and Captain America. But I'll say it's unlikely, since one of the first preview images showed what appeared to be Blade finding Captain America still frozen; but kept in secret somewhere, as if someone was interested in keeping him there.

And I don't think EVERYTHING since the creation of the Fantastic Four has been rewriting. I mean, think about this:
    + The Fantastic Four don't have their powers, which I suspect it could be because the Squadron (probably Hyperion) saved them from the accident with Cosmic Rays.
    + There's a Hulk in this universe, which means Banner's history should be the same; at least until the Squadron decides to take care of him instead of General Ross.
    + It seems we have a powerless Peter Parker in this world, but I want to believe Peter actually got his powers, but never got the motivation to use them. (Which means it's very probable that Uncle Ben is still alive here).
    + This reality's version of Thor doesn't have much sense, however. Shouldn't he still be trapped in his "human disguise" as Doctor Donald Blake?