Page 48 of 94 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast

I enjoyed it. It was a fun comic romp with a bit of satire and callback to the old days of extreme exposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    How is it poking fun of the DC heroes exactly? I mean it's Doom saying it, which makes it even more cringe because it's not something he would say lol.
    The dialogue was poking fun at how most comics dialogue was back in the 60’s and 70’s (and 80’s to an extent). Not just DC. It’s meant to be fun.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    I enjoyed it. It was a fun comic romp with a bit of satire and callback to the old days of extreme exposition.

The dialogue was poking fun at how most comics dialogue was back in the 60’s and 70’s (and 80’s to an extent). Not just DC. It’s meant to be fun.
    I think that particular part was definitely poking fun at Superman comics from that era. Having Hyperion flex his neck and watching Doom exclaim about it I thought made it obvious satire. Also the "sunlight in my veins" piece...which I'm not sure is regularly referenced about Marvel's Hyperion.

Mighty Member

How is it poking fun of the DC heroes exactly? I mean it's Doom saying it, which makes it even more cringe because it's not something he would say lol.
    If you're missing the satire of it, you're missing a pretty huge part of the comic. It's fine to think it's tired or not well done, but Aaron is definitely kicking Doom's characterization back a few decades to play-up the "traditional" Superman piece. That whole exchange is supposed to make it painfully obvious:

"you flexed the SUPER-MUSCLES in your neck!"

"You iron-faced fascism will never be stronger than..good old fashioned liberty"

"As long as there's SUNLIGHT coursing through my veins"

come on man, they bolded those parts to make it obvious.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    How is it making fun of the dialogue from that era if it's just repeating it verbatim without adding anything else? Like someone making fun of it? I feel like people are either making excuses for Aaron, or Aarons idea of making fun of something is to just do that thing himself without a punchline.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    If you're missing the satire of it, you're missing a pretty huge part of the comic. It's fine to think it's tired or not well done, but Aaron is definitely kicking Doom's characterization back a few decades to play-up the "traditional" Superman piece. That whole exchange is supposed to make it painfully obvious:

"you flexed the SUPER-MUSCLES in your neck!"

"You iron-faced fascism will never be stronger than..good old fashioned liberty"

"As long as there's SUNLIGHT coursing through my veins"

come on man, they bolded those parts to make it obvious.
    What's the satire part? Just repeating said language verbatim?

Where is the joke there? If he is just repeating the dialogue verbatim? Where is something like a character standing to the side and saying "could you 2 be more cliche?". Especially given that even in the narration Aaron rants about fascism lol i am not sure about this.

I think Aaron isn't making fun at anything and is just writing bad dialogue as Aaron tends to do, especially given how "well" Aaron can characterize other characters like thinking he made She-Hulk unique by making her a carbon copy of Hulk down to the way she talks even though she has literally no reason to talk like that and is essentially faking having a mental disorder. Or the time he literally inserts a fanbase he hates into a character to talk down to them like he did with Absorbing Man and Ulik resulting in some of the worst and cringiest dialogue i have seen.
    Last edited by Intothevoid; 05-05-2021 at 12:44 PM.

Mighty Member

How is it making fun of the dialogue from that era if it's just repeating it verbatim without adding anything else? Like someone making fun of it? I feel like people are either making excuses for Aaron, or Aarons idea of making fun of something is to just do that thing himself without a punchline.
    In the same way WandaVision just pulled on dialogue and tropes from early sitcoms and re-presented them. It's also doing some of what you see from The Boys and/or Invincible. The heroes are set up as too good to be true by playing up those cheesy bits.

It kinda seems like you missed it and are frustrated it wasn't spelled out more clearly for you? Either way the main purpose was to drive home, for people who haven't been reading all the promotional material that these characters are clear analogues for DC heroes.

Mighty Member

What's the satire part? Just repeating said language verbatim?

Where is the joke there? If he is just repeating the dialogue verbatim? Where is something like a character standing to the side and saying "could you 2 be more cliche?".
    ...come on

BANNED

In the same way WandaVision just pulled on dialogue and tropes from early sitcoms and re-presented them. It's also doing some of what you see from The Boys and/or Invincible. The heroes are set up as too good to be true by playing up those cheesy bits.
    I haven't watched WandaVision but i did watch some promotional material/trailers and i did see a sitcom part but here is the thing not only was it in black and white, they were also dressed for the period and also talked that way, as well as IIRC had a laugh track, so that becomes pretty obvious. I have no idea why is DOOM talking the way he is when this is suppose to make fun of DC heroes as you said?

Also in case you didn't know the heroes aren't talking the way they are because they are too good to be true, they are talking like that because if you go back far enough in this Avengers run you will see Mephisto and Coulson literally "programming" teaching them to talk like this, because they basically want mindless puppets that will keep things clean and perfect for them in this universe, not because it's making fun of Superman lol.

It kinda seems like you missed it and are frustrated it wasn't spelled out more clearly for you? Either way the main purpose was to drive home, for people who haven't been reading all the promotional material that these characters are clear analogues for DC heroes.
    It wasn't spelled out at all, i feel like you are just frustrated i am not worshiping the ground that Aaron walks on and i didn't see the brilliance in his "you broke my hand by flexing your super neck muscles" lol, hilarious i know. Everyone knows they are analogues for DC heroes, what does that have to do with flexing super neck muscles? When was that a thing with Superman?

Jason Aaron be like Doom: "super neck muscles"

cover8.jpg

Sorry dude, i don't think Aarons intent was to make fun of DC heroes here, i think you are just projecting.

I know the concept of satire is mostly associated with comedy, but that's not the full extent of it. It can just be commentating on the nature of something. I'm not reading Heroes Reborn, but from what I can infer it seems like Aaron is doing a dramatic contrast by making the world appear as an idealistic, cheesy golden age universe on the surface, with more sinister elements hidden underneath.

BANNED

Jason "I am gonna have Crusher Creel talk about how Thor is an Alpha male and feminism ruined everything to project the mad part of Thor fanbase" Aaron is actually being subtle here with his "making fun of DC heroes", you just don't see it dude, yea totally my man you nailed it.

Enjoy Aarons work, you will find much subtlety in it for sure.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    I know the concept of satire is mostly associated with comedy, but that's not the full extent of it. It can just be commentating on the nature of something. I'm not reading Heroes Reborn, but from what I can infer it seems like Aaron is doing a dramatic contrast by making the world appear as an idealistic, cheesy golden age universe on the surface, with more sinister elements hidden underneath.
    Yes, this is correct.

But also has nothing to do with Doom saying "you broke my hands with your super neck muscles" lol. The Squadron Supreme are literally the most idealistic representation of super heroes down to the T, which clearly hides something nefarious underneath and we already know that because we saw evil Coulsons and Mephistos plan for them like 20+ issues ago. But this isn't to make fun of DC heroes, it's just the Squadron Supreme are hiding a dark secret underneath, because they are actually not the DC super heroes or even their alternate versions, they are Mephistos constructs, which is why they are acting so "robotic", they have quite literally been not just trained how to act and fight but how to speak as well.
    Last edited by Intothevoid; 05-05-2021 at 01:13 PM.

Mighty Member

I haven't watched WandaVision but i did watch some promotional material/trailers and i did see a sitcom part but here is the thing not only was it in black and white, they were also dressed for the period and also talked that way, as well as IIRC had a laugh track, so that becomes pretty obvious. I have no idea why is DOOM talking the way he is when this is suppose to make fun of DC heroes as you said?

Also in case you didn't know the heroes aren't talking the way they are because they are too good to be true, they are talking like that because if you go back far enough in this Avengers run you will see Mephisto and Coulson literally "programming" teaching them to talk like this, because they basically want mindless puppets that will keep things clean and perfect for them in this universe, not because it's making fun of Superman lol.

It wasn't spelled out at all, i feel like you are just frustrated i am not worshiping the ground that Aaron walks on and i didn't see the brilliance in his "you broke my hand by flexing your super neck muscles" lol, hilarious i know. Everyone knows they are analogues for DC heroes, what does that have to do with flexing super neck muscles? When was that a thing with Superman?

Jason Aaron be like Doom: "super neck muscles"

cover8.jpg

Sorry dude, i don't think Aarons intent was to make fun of DC heroes here, i think you are just projecting.
    Yea, I'm done with this one. If you're sitting here arguing Aaron wasn't having fun with the DC heroes with the dialogue, you're lost at sea. When you get a chance, read the reviews that have been published then take a second to appreciate that maybe a large part of this series just sailed over your head.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post

Exactly.
    Last edited by Tracks; 05-05-2021 at 01:30 PM.

I could have used a bit more of an idea of the eventual direction in the first issue, but I liked this. The point seems to be a fun story about the Avengers fighting not-really-the-Justice-League in a world that has been rewritten to copy the silver-age DCU, I don't see the story of the world being rewritten to be that big of a mystery so much as how to get the band back together and fix this

Mighty Member

I hate his current run in Avengers, and I was ready to hate this event... but I liked it. It was fun, interesting, and I'm curious to see where all of this will go. Best comics from Aaron since Thor.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    I hate his current run in Avengers, and I was ready to hate this event... but I liked it. It was fun, interesting, and I'm curious to see where all of this will go. Best comics from Aaron since Thor.
    Hope he keeps this quality going forwards.

It was a interesting concept of Alternate Reality, a bit tongue in cheek but this is comics