Page 50 of 94 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    You are right about one thing, you are done. He wasn't because first i was making fun of DOOMs dialogue not Hyperions, so making fun of DC by making fun of Doom makes no sense, secondly i already explained to you the reason for Hyperions dialogue it's not to make fun of DC heroes, it's literally because of this

Attachment 109288

Also more of that "genius" Aaron dialogue from evil Coulson "think Thor but with boobs", hilarious.

It's not because he is making fun of DC heroes, it's because they are TRAINED to talk like this, how am i understanding Aarons references better than an Aaron defender, you are not capable of distinguishing between a reference from an earlier Avengers issue with Aaron trying to satirize JL, this is amazing. What are reviews suppose to prove? You do know reviews get things constantly wrong? Like i read an Immortal Hulk review that called Joe Fixit the Devil Hulk lol and also what about all those reviews that never mentioned the making fun of DC heroes thing? I guess we can ignore those because it must have went over their head as well.
    whoa... that wasn’t part of the issue.. what’s that from?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    whoa... that wasn’t part of the issue.. what’s that from?
    It's from Aarons Avengers run, issue 18.

Incredible Member

Where is the joke there? If he is just repeating the dialogue verbatim? Where is something like a character standing to the side and saying "could you 2 be more cliche?". Especially given that even in the narration Aaron rants about fascism lol i am not sure about this.
    lol, are you kidding me? That character you suggested would make the comic so much worse.

Look, my friend, I don't know what to tell you. Aaron was clearly paying homage to Silver Age dialogue (not just by DC, as Marvel would write over-the-top expositional dialogue in the Silver Age, too.) Now, whether that homage (or satire as others might put it) is good and makes for a good comic book is a debate we can have. But the homage was clearly, CLEARLY present in Heroes Reborn #1.

Amazing Member

It makes sense, I believe, considering the last time we saw Coulson was in a COMIC book shop. If he was the one who made the deal with Mephisto of course he would instill in the re-made reality a comic book’s cheese.

Incredible Member

As for Jason Aaron's quality as a writer, I've long thought that Aaron should mostly not be writing superhero comics, and he should focus on writing heroes that are so-called "street level." As a huge Punisher fan, I can tell you that his PunisherMax run is my second-favorite run of Punisher ever (Ennis, duh). And during that run, he wrote a wonderful Bullseye and Kingpin as well. Also, when Aaron wrote the War Scrolls tie-in during the War of the Realms Event, Aaron wrote a really good Daredevil and a good 616-Kingpin as well. Finally, his non-superhero work on Scalped, Southern Bastards, etc have been well received.

So, as a fan of Big 2 comics, my take on Aaron is this: he's been at Marvel for too long and has kind of worn out his welcome while writing too many superhero (non-street-level) comics, which he's not particularly skilled at doing. After he wraps up his Avengers run, I'd want him to write Daredevil (whom I'm a huge fan of) because I think he could give us an excellent run there. And after 2-3 years on DD, I'd like to see Aaron jump ship over to DC and write their "street level" characters over there. That's how Aaron could maintain / restore a reputation as a good writer. Heck, I think a Daredevil run might even net him a second Eisner.
    Last edited by hairys; 05-06-2021 at 07:11 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    lol, are you kidding me? That character you suggested would make the comic so much worse.

Look, my friend, I don't know what to tell you. Aaron was clearly paying homage to Silver Age dialogue (not just by DC, as Marvel would write over-the-top expositional dialogue in the Silver Age, too.) Now, whether that homage (or satire as others might put it) is good and makes for a good comic book is a debate we can have. But the homage was clearly, CLEARLY present in Heroes Reborn #1.
    I don't think it's possible for anything to make the comic any worse.

Oh man, some people say he is making fun of DC heroes specifically, others say he is actually paying homage to silver age Marvel, btw homage and satirizing something is not the same thing, satire is used to ridicule something, paying homage means you are paying respect to something in some way, you can have one or the other but not both.
    Anyway after i re-read it some more i don't see what you are seeing but i think i did realize more what Aaron has been doing, he is once again making fun of a specific group of people, mostly the conservative/right-wing side of the politics, with all the liberty and justice and how we need to preserve the American way, how we have to fight fascism while in reality all of it is fake and is hiding it's own fascism and literal brainwashing underneath it all. That's all fine i mean i am not against making fun of conservatives, but Dooms line is still pretty cringe.

Incredible Member

Oh man, some people say he is making fun of DC heroes specifically, others say he is actually paying homage to silver age Marvel, btw homage and satirizing something is not the same thing, satire is used to ridicule something, paying homage means you are paying respect to something in some way, you can have one or the other but not both.
    Yeah, no kidding. But different people will read into it different things as the line is very often unclear. I see it as a homage but others will see it as satire. But what we all agree on (well, almost everyone :-) is that Aaron was referencing the Silver Age in some fashion.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Yeah, no kidding. But different people will read into it different things as the line is very often unclear. I see it as a homage but others will see it as satire. But what we all agree on (well, almost everyone :-) is that Aaron was referencing the Silver Age in some fashion.
    Actually not even all, because some people think he is just making fun of DC heroes.

What it actually is is making fun of the "old American way" of doing things, making fun of the status quo.

You are right about one thing, you are done. He wasn't because first i was making fun of DOOMs dialogue not Hyperions, so making fun of DC by making fun of Doom makes no sense, secondly i already explained to you the reason for Hyperions dialogue it's not to make fun of DC heroes, it's literally because of this

Attachment 109288

Also more of that "genius" Aaron dialogue from evil Coulson "think Thor but with boobs", hilarious.

It's not because he is making fun of DC heroes, it's because they are TRAINED to talk like this, how am i understanding Aarons references better than an Aaron defender, you are not capable of distinguishing between a reference from an earlier Avengers issue with Aaron trying to satirize JL, this is amazing. What are reviews suppose to prove? You do know reviews get things constantly wrong? Like i read an Immortal Hulk review that called Joe Fixit the Devil Hulk lol and also what about all those reviews that never mentioned the making fun of DC heroes thing? I guess we can ignore those because it must have went over their head as well.
    Having a Watsonian explanation for something in story does not negate the Doylist reasoning. Why did Coulson program them to talk like that?

This is just sad at this point lol. Be sure to let all the others reviews and posters that disagree with you about your hard hitting analysis as well, where you missed the whole point of the way Hyperion speaks in the first place being a reference to evil Coulson teaching him and PP how to act and speak much earlier in the Avengers run something no reviewer has actually referenced so far.

Once again all of this from me calling Dooms talking cringe... not even Hyperions...
    The world has been rewritten, Doom included. Unless I missed the Venom and Red Skull hybrid's origin story?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    Having a Watsonian explanation for something in story does not negate the Doylist reasoning. Why did Coulson program them to talk like that?
    I need to find that let it go gif... I have already given an explanation as to why.

The world has been rewritten, Doom included. Unless I missed the Venom and Red Skull hybrid's origin story?
    It's an alternate reality, these are different versions of the characters we know in 616.

I need to find that let it go gif... I have already given an explanation as to why.
    You should probably let it go, true. You have an in-universe explanation for something but are neglecting to explain why that should negate the out of universe explanation. Jason Aaron had Coulson teaching them to speak that way for a reason-specifically to spoof silver age comics

It's an alternate reality, these are different versions of the characters we know in 616.
    So it's not "because Coulson programmed them to speak that way" now?

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Yeah, alternate universe. And a ridiculous one, by the way. It's aaron, of course.

Mighty Member

Having a Watsonian explanation for something in the story does not negate the Doylist reasoning. Why did Coulson program them to talk like that?
    Coulson is a bad fanfiction writer, using shallow traits to define these characters.

Phil "Cheese" Coulson is an obsessive super heroes fanboy turned disillusioned cynic, he is having them speak the way they felt they did (based on in-universe comics) when he idolized them as a child.

Given that this version of the Squadron Supreme is literally Mephisto's Simulacrum they are not only meant to be an unsatisfactory imitation of the Justice League but also previous versions of the Squadron Supreme.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    Coulson is a bad fanfiction writer, using shallow traits to define these characters.

Phil "Cheese" Coulson is an obsessive super heroes fanboy turned disillusioned cynic, he is having them speak the way they felt they did (based on in-universe comics) when he idolized them as a child.

Given that this version of the Squadron Supreme is literally Mephisto's Simulacrum they are not only meant to be an unsatisfactory imitation of the Justice League but also previous versions of the Squadron Supreme.
    Indeed, in truth this version of the Squadron is more a mix of the Justice League and the Seven from the Boys it looks like. I’m curious though if they are all aware of it or if it is just Nighthawk.

Like that one JLA episode where they went to that world which had Stewart’s comic book heroes but it was all an illusion projected by a mutant fanboy wherein the projected heroes fought back against the mutant fanboy because they were heroes.

Attachment 109288

Sorry but your argument is failing on where you put the justifications.
    One is the content of the story and the other is the intention of the writer and one and other are not mutually excluyent. It is not one or the other when perfectly both are operating at the same time.
    Aaron can be making fun of DC heroes and at the same time using the story as excuse for do it.

By the way, someone else noticed than Dr. Juggernaut was very close to be Dr. Doomsday? (The spikes, people, the spikes).
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin