Page 62 of 94 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Marvel and DC did something similar in Amalgam. Gorillagrad formerly Gorilla City claimed Wakanda as part of its territory, and Secretary of State Kragoff and his Super-Apes were delegation sent to negotiate with the Bronze Tiger.
    I know, I have the Amalgam Comics. And since "Heroes Reborn" is Marvel's parody of DC's Universe, I thought they could create a Gorilla City more similar this way.

The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder if they would've gotten into copyright issues if they'd posed her like that iconic Stephanie Brown Batgirl cover.
    Probably not, homage covers are common. Though Nightbird does look like a combination of Steph and Babs.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Or Kinsey, from Supreme Power, in the 'Aquaman' slot. She was interesting.

Although once Lady Lark 'upgraded' to use gold-colored versions of the Blue Eagle's wings, combined with her sonic cry, she was even more buff (and less of an obvious Black Canary riff, which was also cool).
    I imagine they were trying to make her a combination of Hawkgirl and Black Canary. I liked it, but I also thought they could have just as easily created an actual Hawkgirl homage. In the present, someone like Angela could fill that role.

Speaking of homages, I think this was a missed opportunity to use Miracleman/Marvelman as the Shazam homage on the Squadron Supreme. If memory serves, it was the Young Justice cartoon that introduced a JLA roster with Superman, Icon and Shazam all on the team at the same time. Adding Marvelman to the Heroes Reborn SS might have been fun, even if it's a departure from his lore. And yeah, throw in Blue Marvel, too, as the Icon analog, since their powers are basically the same...and they still haven't explained why he doesn't exist in this universe, given that Blue Marvel's origin isn't linked to any other hero's origin.

I think I know why Blue Marvel apparently isn't around. DC's explanation for the absence of heroes between the golden age and the silver age is that the JSA got banned in the early 50s (they refused to reveal their secret identities and so were branded as un-American), only re-emerging after the Justice League formed. If the HR universe had the same thing happen, then Blue Marvel being black wouldn't be the problem - being a superhero at all in the 1960s would. Therefore, Adam would've never become the Blue Marvel.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I think I know why Blue Marvel apparently isn't around. DC's explanation for the absence of heroes between the golden age and the silver age is that the JSA got banned in the early 50s (they refused to reveal their secret identities and so were branded as un-American), only re-emerging after the Justice League formed. If the HR universe had the same thing happen, then Blue Marvel being black wouldn't be the problem - being a superhero at all in the 1960s would. Therefore, Adam would've never become the Blue Marvel.
    Well, both would have been a problem. (I mean it's not like any of the original JSA were African-Americans and all other social phenomena held constant for the era.)

But getting back to my original point, Blue Marvel and Anti-Man came into being in the same instant. Your explanation makes perfect sense, but even if Adam Brashear cared about obeying the law, Conner Sims (Anti-Man) did not. He wanted to destroy the system. Unless Blue Marvel or Hyperion were around to stop him, Anti-Man succeeds. By the time Hyperion and the Squadron did form, America probably would have been wiped from the face of the planet. If not from antimatter storms, then from the nuclear weapons used to try and stop Anti-Man.

Glad to see a modern shot of Black Mariah! And Nighthawk's partner but he never had one before. I wonder why there is a Night-Gwen now?
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Gwen never died (it's Sam Wilson, who is still Falcon and is Nighthawk's version of Robin, who dies instead), and is the daughter of a police captain. Makes sense then, that she ends up being like Barbara Gordon, who in the DC universe is the daughter of the police commissioner and became Batgirl. Gwen is Barbara's counterpart here, as Nightbird. It's just play on how similar Gwen and Barbara's backstories are.

Nighthawk actually has two partners, as Miles Morales is the new Falcon.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post

Variant by Inhyuk Lee for KRS comics
    Is this really the costume that they're going with for Gwen. Geez, DC has nothing to be worried about. Batgirl's costume rocks. Not sure what Marvel's target was here. Maybe it's time to start using a quality control panel before they publish this stuff?

hmm... hammerhead, black mariah, mr. negative.. wonder if they actually have speaking parts...

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    hmm... hammerhead, black mariah, mr. negative.. wonder if they actually have speaking parts...
    ....and action too.....
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I wonder if they'll add text to their mugshot ID cards in the final printing.