Page 85 of 94 FirstFirst ... 3575818283848586878889 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 1407
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Don't be silly. Marvel would never use the comics to take out grudges against characters due to what happened in movies or television.....
    Heh

Though Agents of Shield ran several seasons, so I'd hardly call it a failure

It's amusing (By amusing I mean sad) that Aaron still can't tell the difference between Thor and Hercules. Check out Aaron writing a standard Hercules line and giving it to Thor.

"Tis alright we all have our weaknesses. Mine is mead! And beer and wine and rum!"

Ugh...
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

It's amusing (By amusing I mean sad) that Aaron still can't tell the difference between Thor and Hercules. Check out Aaron writing a standard Hercules line and giving it to Thor.

"Tis alright we all have our weaknesses. Mine is mead! And beer and wine and rum!"

Ugh...
    Aaron's Thor just cannot stop talking about mead. Or drinking.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Unless they pulled their own version of the speed force ability where they siphon speed or cut it off. Vibranium absorbs kinetic energy doesn't it?
    Yeah, vibranium does absorb and redirect kinetic energy, which T'Challa usually channels into a pulse of kinetic energy that pushes back his opponents, although we in the Black Panther Appreciation Thread have theorized that same redirected kinetic energy could be channeled into the Panther Habit to temporarily increase his strength and speed, which finally became canon in Heroes Return.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Ugh...
    Aaron is going to keep Thor a jobber until someone in editorial puts a stop to it. It’s bad enough we get alcoholic Thor in the movies. Now we have to get him in the comic books as well. Thor isn’t unworthy. His writer is!

This event was terrible for many reasons, starting with making DC analogues the center of a Marvel event, but what's baffling it's the complete lack of internal coherence. Hyperion can kill Galactus with one blow, Blur can outrace Eternity, Doctor Spectrum can beat Thanos with the infinity stones and Power Princess can defeat beings stronger than Skyfathers... then they meet the Avengers and some of them go down like chumps (Blur and Spectrum, Hyperion) while others like Nighthawk win throwing batarangs at the guy who was supposed to be at the center of this event and Power Princess needs the combined effort of the Phoenix Force and the Starbrand to be defeated. Particularly ridicolous mentions for the cringey dialogue ("Wakanda remembers it was a meteor..." right, the other guy can mopve faster than time itself, but suddenly you can outrace him and cut his tendons...) and Captain America defeating a cosmic cube wielder through the power of... something.

Aaron has no respect for anything, starting with the characters he was entrusted with. One of the worst cases of the "Bendis-Loeb" syndrome, really.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Haquim View Post
    This event was terrible for many reasons, starting with making DC analogues the center of a Marvel event, but what's baffling it's the complete lack of internal coherence. Hyperion can kill Galactus with one blow, Blur can outrace Eternity, Doctor Spectrum can beat Thanos with the infinity stones and Power Princess can defeat beings stronger than Skyfathers... then they meet the Avengers and some of them go down like chumps (Blur and Spectrum, Hyperion) while others like Nighthawk win throwing batarangs at the guy who was supposed to be at the center of this event and Power Princess needs the combined effort of the Phoenix Force and the Starbrand to be defeated. Particularly ridicolous mentions for the cringey dialogue ("Wakanda remembers it was a meteor..." right, the other guy can mopve faster than time itself, but suddenly you can outrace him and cut his tendons...) and Captain America defeating a cosmic cube wielder through the power of... something.

Aaron has no respect for anything, starting with the characters he was entrusted with. One of the worst cases of the "Bendis-Loeb" syndrome, really.
    Plot definitely dictated the outcome, but I do think Aaron provided a rationale for why each fight went down how it did.

Dr. Spectrum - says he's holding back because he doesn't want to fight a child, starbrand doesn't overpower him, she destroys the prism

Coulson - Not overpowered by Cap, he just keeps blocking energy blasts til Danvers knocks Coulson off balance and the car crashes. Cap doesn't really do much there other than serve as a distraction.

Hyperion - it was the equivalent of Superman fighting someone like Wonder Woman or Captain Marvel while on a mound of kryptonite. We saw how much vibranium impacted him in issue 2.

Power Princes - I think that level of power output needed makes sense

Blur -this one seems like the most unique, but I looked like BP was absorbing his kinetic energy and using it for super speed. He was still slower and just landed one hit. DC Flash has fast healing, but I don't know if that was ever established with Blur.

Nighrhawk- yea this one annoyed me, but not necessarily inconsistent. It's possible Aaron was trying to communicate through the dialogue that Blade didn't actually want to kill Nighthawk. Nighthawk also single handedly took down Sabertooth, Venom, Deadpool, Moon Knight, etc.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Re-reading the storyline with a friend of mine and have a better idea of my thoughts upon it.

-First off the marketing of this was weird and awful. I think we all originally thought this was gonna be some weird one shots. Then the initial tagline was also misleading, Thor never was an Atheist. Carol Danvers and Iron Man barely appear.

-It's fun to see the DC stand ins and references, I don't really see this event as a mean spirited DC bashing, the Squadron often tend to be dysfunctional versions of the Justice League, I don't see how more of it matters.

-It seems like after the Mephisto reveal, nobody refers to Mephisto as "God" anymore.

It feels like this event has big dumb action movie vibes like most of Aaron's Avengers but I'm still having fun.

By the way, what state does Nighthawk represent? The character is a senator right? Did Aaron ever reveal that or are we just suppose to know that it's New York because this is Marvel? Forgive me, I didn't bother with the side stories
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

By the way, what state does Nighthawk represent? The character is a senator right? Did Aaron ever reveal that or are we just suppose to know that it's New York because this is Marvel? Forgive me, I didn't bother with the side stories
    Officially, he was a congressman representing Washington, DC., specifically. in real-life, Washington DC has a "shadow congressperson", who is elected, can attend meetings, but has no voting power in the House. [and of course, real-life D.C. is not officially a state yet].. I have no idea whether on 616 Marvel Earth this status is different or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Officially, he was a congressman representing Washington, DC., specifically. in real-life, Washington DC has a "shadow congressperson", who is elected, can attend meetings, but has no voting power in the House. [and of course, real-life D.C. is not officially a state yet].. I have no idea whether on 616 Marvel Earth this status is different or not.
    There is something about this That syncs up so well with Aaron's writing style. Looks important. Wants you to think it's meaningful, but it's not.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    The shield is vibranium and we found out the reason captain America made Hyperion woozy back in the 2nd issue is because vibranium is effectively his kryptonite. So it was the combination of Wakanda being built on vibranium weakening him, the fight with Thor, then finally the shield to the face.
    So, wait, if Hyperion is vulnerable to vibranium, does that mean DC doesn't ever have to worry him being confused for the Man of Steel?

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    DC Flash has fast healing, but I don't know if that was ever established with Blur.
    Granted, the entire point of comics is to defy real world science, but you'd think all speedsters would have some type of fast healing. Moving at the speeds that they are capable of would obliterate cartilage and joints, shatter bones, and liquefy muscle tissue. That's not even taking into account the damage caused by impacting the ground whenever they run. We see what years of sprinting does to athletes all of the time, especially in sports like basketball. I won't bother getting into the stresses it would imposes on organs, the cardiopulmonary system, and so on and so forth.

So maybe Blur does have accelerated healing, just not at the same rate as DC Flash, Hulk, Wolverine, werewolves, some Super Soldiers???

Honestly, I'll give the writer credit for trying to come up with a creative way to take out Blur. No, I'm not buying that anyone absorbs the energy of anyone that can run faster than the speed of light or faster than Time -- seriously, stop and think how much energy that is for a minute. If BP can absorb that with anything even approaching 20% efficiency with zero loss, then he can tank a Celestial Host by himself. I sense Heroes Reborn gave us a little bit of Bat God treatment in more ways than one.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Granted, the entire point of comics is to defy real world science, but you'd think all speedsters would have some type of fast healing. Moving at the speeds that they are capable of would obliterate cartilage and joints, shatter bones, and liquefy muscle tissue. That's not even taking into account the damage caused by impacting the ground whenever they run. We see what years of sprinting does to athletes all of the time, especially in sports like basketball. I won't bother getting into the stresses it would imposes on organs, the cardiopulmonary system, and so on and so forth.

So maybe Blur does have accelerated healing, just not at the same rate as DC Flash, Hulk, Wolverine, werewolves, some Super Soldiers???

Honestly, I'll give the writer credit for trying to come up with a creative way to take out Blur. No, I'm not buying that anyone absorbs the energy of anyone that can run faster than the speed of light or faster than Time -- seriously, stop and think how much energy that is for a minute. If BP can absorb that with anything even approaching 20% efficiency with zero loss, then he can tank a Celestial Host by himself. I sense Heroes Reborn gave us a little bit of Bat God treatment in more ways than one.
    He did once power himself (and Captain America) up with the energy from the dead Celestial serving as Avengers Mountain, so . . .
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post

Well, the speed force protects those linked with/channeling it. They develop a aura that prevents them being affected by gravimetric forces. It also guards surrounding environments from the high speeds they travel at (normally). So most of the above is accounted for with that explanation. Their entire biology undergoes significant transformation to the point their body functions at increased speeds - hence why they don't suffer heart attacks etc.

But here? It seems as though Black Panther received 2 separate boosts - 1. Drawing kinetic energy from Blur (Never outright stated, but let's say it is implied) and 2. From the vibranium in the ground from when it was hurtling through space.