Default Keystone city information

I've read the Atlas of the DC Universe entry, but I'm really more interested in depictions from within the comics.

What's the population of the city? Is is old or new, mostly (how much of it was designed for walkability v. cars)? Major industries? Is it one of those declining cities of the midwest or a more thriving/growing one or something in between? Since Wally's kids did get older, did they ever mention the quality of public schools?

What's its particular flavor to you?

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Geoff Johns REALLY leaned into the blue collar vibe of Keystone. I believe he was shooting for a Detroit feel.

I would suggest you check out the BRILLIANT Flash: Those who ride the Lightning website here: https://www.hyperborea.org/flash/keystone-city.html
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I've read the Atlas of the DC Universe entry, but I'm really more interested in depictions from within the comics.

What's the population of the city? Is is old or new, mostly (how much of it was designed for walkability v. cars)? Major industries? Is it one of those declining cities of the midwest or a more thriving/growing one or something in between? Since Wally's kids did get older, did they ever mention the quality of public schools?

What's its particular flavor to you?
    Like married guy said, Johns based his Keystone on industrial detroit.

I think it's a medium-sized city with lots of suburban outskirts. It seems fairly walkable given the amount of sidewalks shown, though I imagine certain parts aren't so much if they have trucks going in and out. And even though midwestern manufacturing has declined, there's still a strong union presence and plenty of industrial jobs. You could say it's not exactly on the decline since hyperborea lists their Hockey Team, the Combines, as an expansion team, which I didn't know.

Not sure about the quality of the public schools. Bart's school always seemed alright and I don't recall Waid's 2nd run mentioning them. They might not be as good as those in Central City, since public schools are funded by property taxes and white collar scientists are likely to have more valuable properties in Central City, but that's real-world speculation imported into the comics.

They've also got Iron Heights right outside the city which spices things up.