Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Language. These are children and I'm not sure if Fauna is even 10.
    Magik's "voice" sounds off. I don't expect Illyana to continue to sound Claremontian in her speech under a modern writer but there's something about how her dialogue is written that doesn't sound like it would come out of her mouth.

This book is quickly climbing into my top three. I mean i enjoyed it before but i can't believe how much more i enjoy it alreasy. love the art and the obvious time that went into developing it. That cover is awesome.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I may be wrong, but I think I will love the parts of this book where the classic New Mutants have to deal with real problems and really don't care for them acting as good professors for the little kids. Not that I don't like it, but sometimes writers make the X-men sound dumb when they are caring for the children of the school.

I would like to see the New Mutants making mistakes as their leaders as well and to not be nice all the time. And the children to not look cute all the time, I hate when they force the children to be cute lol. At least Vita didn't write Scout badly in the first issue. She made good points about the QC and sounded smart. Much better than when writers do her only making jokes to show how sassy she is.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Magik's "voice" sounds off. I don't expect Illyana to continue to sound Claremontian in her speech under a modern writer but there's something about how her dialogue is written that doesn't sound like it would come out of her mouth.
    Idk I thought it sounded fine here, but I do understand what you mean, I feel like at least since Bendis who I personally thought was her worst writer.

Magik has intermittently adopted the "cool girl" writing where much of it is less about her and more about what whoever was writing her at the time needed her to say.
    Last edited by Celestialbodies; 01-22-2021 at 08:22 PM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I LOVE it!
    I want to see Illyana's brand of "sound cut-arse".
    With this and X-Men and Excalibur, next week will be beauty-full.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Already the most improved book of the line.
    Personal opinion ,but this book has the worst art of the lot, shading and colour work is ok but pencil work is horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    Personal opinion ,but this book has the worst art of the lot, shading and colour work is ok but pencil work is horrible.
    Wow, I just love Rod Reis's art. He is like a new Bachalo for me, in the way they have an iconic different way that is very beatiful and strange.

Regarding what you said, I think that in these new issues of New Mutants, Reis is trying to get a similar vibe from Bill Sienkiewicz, which has a pencil work that is kinda messy, but I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Weather View Post
    Wow, I just love Rod Reis's art. He is like a new Bachalo for me, in the way they have an iconic different way that is very beatiful and strange.

Regarding what you said, I think that in these new issues of New Mutants, Reis is trying to get a similar vibe from Bill Sienkiewicz, which has a pencil work that is kinda messy, but I like it.
    A lot of readers back in the day hated Sienkiewicz's New Mutants too. And now that run is revered and Classic.
    Rod Reis' art is exquisite!
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    A lot of readers back in the day hated Sienkiewicz's New Mutants too. And now that run is revered and Classic.
    Rod Reis' art is exquisite!
    Rod Reis New Muntant stuff is better done than Sienkiewicz's was. Reis's main problem is Warlock. Quite frankly,people didn't like Sienkiewicz's New Mutants stuff because it didn't really live up to all the hype concering it.
    Last edited by rcaguy; 01-23-2021 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    Rod Reis New Muntant stuff is better done than Sienkiewicz's was. Reis's main problem is Warlock. Quite frankly,people didn't like Sienkiewicz's New Mutants stuff because it didn't really live up to all the hype concering it.
    As someone who read his Moon Knight then followed him onto the New Mutants...I absolutely and vehemently disagree.
    I remember the fan mail at the time...A lot of readers hated it because they just didn't like how different it was from the clean McLeod and Buscema art that preceded it. It was pretty jarring going from issue 17 to 18...so I don't blame them, but it more than lived up to the hype.

Fantastic Member

Bill Sienkiewicz's art is what originally got me into The New Mutants back in the 80s, and really enjoying the Rod Reis work now.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    As someone who read his Moon Knight then followed him onto the New Mutants...I absolutely and vehemently disagree.
    I remember the fan mail at the time...A lot of readers hated it because they just didn't like how different it was from the clean McLeod and Buscema art that preceded it. It was pretty jarring going from issue 17 to 18...so I don't blame them, but it more than lived up to the hype.
    As someone who read Manga,illustrated SF Mags like Heavy Metal and the higher end stuff put out by Marvel during that time period, I can assure you Sienkiewicz's New Mutants stuff didn't really live up to all the hype concering it.

Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    As someone who read Manga,illustrated SF Mags like Heavy Metal and the higher end stuff put out by Marvel during that time period, I can assure you Sienkiewicz's New Mutants stuff didn't really live up to all the hype concering it.
    Buuut it aged well... we're still discussing his run in mostly favorable reminiscing
    GrindrStone(D)

Extraordinary Member

Sienkiewicz's art gelled very well with the story Claremont was telling at the time. Both the minimalist and stylized aspects of his work added to the horror feel and gave the sense that the book was growing up. The first time I saw it I wasn't impressed, but over time I came to appreciate his art. The one thing that I still don't like is his Xavier, He seems to have a problem consistently drawing bald people.