Fantastic Member

Default The Wondyverse Amazons & The Xenaverse Amazons

Wouldn't it be great if these two groups could meet . What does everybody think about both of these groups of amazons?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by 7-Love View Post
    Wouldn't it be great if these two groups could meet . What does everybody think about both of these groups of amazons?
    The Xenaverse Amazons were being slaughtered every time we saw them. Xena outright says they used to be a great nation but that power and influence have died over time.

The Wonderverse Amazons need their own title. For me, they're usually cannon fodder when they show up or not developed enough for me to have a strong opinion. In general, I find Diana to be a more interesting character away from them than with them, but that could change if they were given a consistent title to develop separately from Diana.

Incredible Member

The Xenaverse Amazons were unfortunately typically used as a plot device and served up as cannon fodder, as seen most dramatically in their final episode with a handful of surviving Amazons. Their culture, habits and customs got little attention on Xena. We never really discovered how they gained members, whether they recognised marriages, whether they had children, whether they successfully established treaties with neighbouring kingdoms / villages, etc. We did see their origins in the terrible Lifeblood / Amazon High failed pilot.

As poorly as the DCU Amazons have been treated, there were at least some runs where they were depicted in a very positive manner - a true Paradise Island or close to it.

I wouldn’t really want the poor writing of the Xenaverse Amazons to rub off on Diana’s Amazons - they have enough problems as is!

Spectacular Member

there is some evidence that the legends of Amazon's may have been based on real people, and they were from what is today Russia.

Fantastic Member

I'd love to see what interactions between Queen Hippolyta and Queen Gabrielle or Artemis and Varia would be like?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I don't remember much about the Xena Amazons except for the fact that I really liked Ephiny but was always weirded out about the mental visual her affair with a centaur provided.

That and the dancing. So much dancing.

Xena had the premise that Amazons used to be a thing. So having them get wiped out as time went on made some sense.

To be fair though, that was a recurring theme.... bits of mythology kept becoming history as the two series went on. The opening line from Hercules actually spells it out that this is a past age that no longer exists. Thus it's filled with people and things that no longer exist.