Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Why is the Legion of Superheroes such a hard sell?

Is it the goofy code names? I think it’s the fact that it seems so disconnected to the rest of the DCU. Then again you can make the same case for Batman Beyond as well, and that seems to do okay.
    Last edited by mathew101281; 01-22-2021 at 10:41 AM.

Ultimate Member

I think a big problem is the size. You have dozens of characters, minimum and often too little character focus.

For me personally, the reboots haven't helped, especially the latest one. How are we supposed to care about a Legion when they can get swiped out by the next big writer?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I think a big problem is the size. You have dozens of characters, minimum and often too little character focus.

For me personally, the reboots haven't helped, especially the latest one. How are we supposed to care about a Legion when they can get swiped out by the next big writer?
    Good points.
    One of the reasons I was wary of jumping onto Legion runs growing up was DC always felt the need to reboot after each cancellation.

And, while I love the large cast, I’d love a small 6-8 character team. Most team franchises have casts as large as the Legion, but don’t try to feature all of them at once. Well, except the X-Men, and they have the advantage of their fans blindly buying anything they slap an X on.
    The Legion can’t support 10 books, each w. a specialized team that somehow all feature Timberwolf.
    Legion fans just want one well written book that lasts more than a year.

Extraordinary Member

It's even a hard-sell here on CBR. I've created several Legion threads that cover their past history and hardly anyone ever posts on them.

They do get lots of view though. Just not much interest as far as discussions.

I’ve always felt the Legion is an awesome collection of supporting characters in search of a good main character. It’s no accident that the Legion was at its peak when Superboy and or Supergirl were members, and started to fall off pretty dramatically after that was taken away from them. I feel Superboy/girl adds a focus character that enables new readers to latch on to what can be a pretty intimidating concept. Dumping a large group of unfamiliar characters onto people can also be quite intimidating. I’m not saying the Legion needs Superman, but they do need a breakout star character that serves as a gateway drug of sorts to Legion Lore. One that can stay with the team long term and not be pulled out of it due to 21st century concerns.

In short they need Wolverine. I’ve always felt that X-men like The Legion, would be way harder to get into if they didn’t have Wolverine who I feel is a gateway drug kind of character.
    Last edited by mathew101281; 01-22-2021 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I’ve always felt the Legion is an awesome collection of supporting characters in search of a good main character. It’s no accident that the Legion was at its peak when Superboy and or Supergirl were members, and started to fall off pretty dramatically after that was taken away from them. I feel Superboy/girl adds a focus character that enables new readers to latch on to what can be a pretty intimidating concept. Dumping a large group of unfamiliar characters onto people can also be quite intimidating. I’m not saying the Legion needs Superman, but they do need a breakout star character that serves as a gateway drug of sorts to Legion Lore. One that can stay with the team long term and not be pulled out of it due to 21st century concerns.

In short they need Wolverine. I’ve always felt that X-men like The Legion, would be way harder to get into if they didn’t have Wolverine who I feel is a gateway drug kind of character.
    Sadly they do though. Both Superboy and Supergirl have been on Legion teams.

I think the fans are the biggest detriment.
    Legion should be funny.
    Legion should be serious.
    Legion needs to have (Insert character name here) else it will suck
    Legion shouldn't focus on (Insert character name here) as it will suck

Granted I do also agree with the, "Ugh another reboot" comment.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    It's even a hard-sell here on CBR. I've created several Legion threads that cover their past history and hardly anyone ever posts on them.

They do get lots of view though. Just not much interest as far as discussions.
    ^^^I actually did a search after my first post here, to see if there were threads discussing ideal line ups. While I said a smaller 6-8 character team would be good, I started thinking, who must every good Legion HAVE to include, and wound up in low double digits.
    I think a good Legion team might need to be large by necessity.

^^^I hadn’t ever considered that.

Astonishing Member

It's also a setting so far removed from reality. It's why Cosmic settings are so hit-or-miss.

For me, IMO, the reasons for little to no interest are-

Way too many characters, super goofy character names, way too separate from the main DCU.

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    For me, IMO, the reasons for little to no interest are-

Way too many characters, super goofy character names, way too separate from the main DCU.
    But aren’t most superhero stories really separated from reality? I agree with the names though. (Apparition is a cooler name then Phantom Lass) then again I’ve always felt the hippie sexy Legion of the 70’s was better then slot of the darker stuff that came after.

Astonishing Member

But aren’t most superhero stories really separated from reality? I agree with the names though. (Apparition is a cooler name then Phantom Lass) then again I’ve always felt the hippie sexy Legion of the 70’s was better then slot of the darker stuff that came after.
    They're still framed in reality. Otherwise, how can you tell what's weird and what's not?

Astonishing Member

For me it is editorial mandates. Label me a nostalgia stan if you will but I have no doubt both the Legion and the New Teen Titans would both sell much better going back to the teams/directions from the beginning of the Baxter era. In other words a retroboot of both titles would sell better than any rebanding options. The Johns retroboot and bringing back the Wolfman/Perez version and accompanying history would probably sell the best and be the easiest sell. However editorial mandates are cutting off two of DC's once biggest franchises at the knees. I have no desire to engage with yet another version of the Titans that isn't the Wolfman version or are a direct outgrowth of it. I am also tired of the numerous Legion reboots as well. I liked the Johns retroboot because it undid the original sin, the Byrne removal of Superboy from the Legion. You never hear the X-men have too many characters that is because they have a direct timeline from the O5 til now, you can either read the earliest adventures or not. I have read some of the early Adventure stuff now but not knowing that history then never lessened my love for the arcs I was reading as a youngling. Every writers wants "their" Legion or Titans instead of a great run on "the" Legion or Titans.

Too far in the future
    no Batman or any other references to popular heroes legacy
    its hard to make it seem like the stories matter because contemporary DC is always more important

All these reasons are sort of why LOSH is not popular

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Assuming there's a continuity (now there's not) I already have a hard time keeping up with the present I don't wanna keep up with the possible future too

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

It's a tough sell as the writer is immediately stuck between a rock & a hard place.
    There's a large number of versions that are all somebody's favourite.
    Trying something completely new doesn't fly with readers, but stick too close to the original and everyone's unhappy it's just a rehash of stuff they've seen before.

I was excited to see Bendis taking a swing at the franchise, but it ultimately left me flat and I didn't like the ties to current continuity.
    Bringing Jon in made sense (gotta have a Superboy in the Legion), but the ties to Gotham, Damian appearing, Aquaman's trident - all seemed too much.
    Someone will eventually find the right balance and the title will be a good read again.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.