Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Is Grant Morrisons run on Batman underrated/overlooked?

I'm Biased here, because "Black Glove" and "RIP" are the first Batman comics I read when I was 11ish. I appreciate stories that make you really think for yourself. I just loved the mystery surrounding Simon Hurt, "the hole in things", him claiming to be Thomas Wayne, the John Mayhew connection, the isolation experiment, the 3 batmen...I really enjoyed connecting the dots as a reader.

It's definitely not underrated. It may seem that way because directors of batman related stuff never bring it up (usually because they're just posers anyway) I just don't think it's for casuals. Most of us hard-core fans hold it in very high regard.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Yeah, I think most people actually consider it one of the best runs of Batman, so definitely not underrated.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post
    It's definitely not underrated. It may seem that way because directors of batman related stuff never bring it up (usually because they're just posers anyway) I just don't think it's for casuals. Most of us hard-core fans hold it in very high regard.
    Agreed. Like almost everything Morrison, it's not for everybody and has strong detractors, but my totally unscientific impression is that it's generally widely loved, and one of the more talked about runs on the character in decades. In fact, here's a very recent appreciation thread.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

If you had to choose a writer who defined 00's Batman, it would be Morrison. People have a lot of fond memories of his time being the head hauncho Batman writer and why Dick Grayson is still the second most popular Batman.

I would argue that the post No Man's Land Pre-Hush Batman comics are a much more underrated Batman era from the 2000's. Warts and all it was the last hurrah for the Batman of the 1990s.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Definitely not overlooked he pretty munched defined 2006+ Batman

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    If you had to choose a writer who defined 00's Batman, it would be Morrison. People have a lot of fond memories of his time being the head hauncho Batman writer and why Dick Grayson is still the second most popular Batman.

I would argue that the post No Man's Land Pre-Hush Batman comics are a much more underrated Batman era from the 2000's. Warts and all it was the last hurrah for the Batman of the 1990s.
    Yeah I rarely heard of this period

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Their Batman works is one of the most influential runs in DC comics history, everything that came afterwards keep trying to capture their magic.

Dark Crisis is a direct riff on their works in Batman and Final Crisis

All-New Member

I'd like to get my hands on New Gotham and Ed Brubakers run on Batman. I only have New Gotham vol 1 which I haven't read yet.

Not at all, I see his run being brought up all the time. It's nalso on multiple recommendation lists.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Extraordinary Member

I think one could argue for it being overrated, but it is definitely not underrated.

Extraordinary Member

I could see someone feeling their impact and storylines haven't been given proper respect and adaptations thus far... but I think that would be because the run is VERY much a comic story, that may simply not be the type a movie or tv show can easily adapt... and because I might argue Morrison's run, while stupendous itself, was also flanked by multiple other strong runs on other Bat books concurrent to it that helped propel it even further. Like, I was never as into it as others... but I had stuff by Paul Dini, Fabian Nicieza, Bryan Q. Miller, and Scott Snyder running alongside that could keep me occupied; Damian wasn't sold to me until he appeared in Batgirl, for instance.

Like, there was that DCNAU series of films that tried aping part of it, and just kind of felt lackluster overall, though not bad. And they struggled not just with Morrison's concepts and arcs, but also with stuff kind of attacked to it.

Otherwise, as others have said, it's a legendary run.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I think one could argue for it being overrated, but it is definitely not underrated.
    That's where I would put it. I loved Morrison's JLA Batman, but I never really got into his Batman titles runs.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Underrated/overlooked doesn't even enter the conversation. But I'd definitely go with overrated.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

BANNED

He is not overrated and underrated in 'general'. But it's definitely surprising that his run doesn't get the attention as much it deserves outside comics because the two of the successive long runs from New 52 and Rebirth that is King and Snyder's who took direct inspiration from his style of writing but came up with something subpar and still got major attention with main stream movies, games and animation

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    He is not overrated and underrated in 'general'. But it's definitely surprising that his run doesn't get the attention as much it deserves outside comics because the two of the successive long runs from New 52 and Rebirth that is King and Snyder's who took direct inspiration from his style of writing but came up with something subpar and still got major attention with main stream movies, games and animation
    I think that's more a style difference than a quality difference.

Morrison was making a hybrid meta-textual analysis of Batman with a very mythological type of story, with big ideas, themes, and epic scale, but more variable "authenticity" because that wasn't the goal of the story. Snyder was making a hybrid horror and action thriller, where creating an air of "authenticity" is paramount to make things matter more, because atmosphere, character voice, and emotions are a bit more front and center. King, who's run became less popular as time went on, was trying for more of a hybrid of psychological study and some meta-textual analysis; there's maybe a bit more of a comparison to Morrison in the meta-textual part, but King was going for internal focus vs Morrison's more holistic approach, which turns everything in a different direction.

Morrison and Snyder can both claim to have decent integration with other writers and books during their run, which they'd have over King, though none of the three had as smooth of a connection as the Denny O'Neill Editorial era had going for it.

But style-wise... Snyder was developing more easily integrated assets for other creators to use, while both Morrison and King's style were heavily dependent on *them* doing the writing because of the meta-textual analysis.

Warner Brothers tried adapting Morrison's stuff in those animated movies - and they kind of sucked because they weren't Morrison and didn't get how to shift it and change it the right way. I mean, if you're not going to go full, balls-to-the-wall crazy and "everything counts in some way" with your meta-text the way Morrison did with Talia as the head of Leviathan and as the major villain, then all you're left with is a bland archvillain with all the flaws Morrison was capable of over-running with their meta-text.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP