Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Every beautiful wife to middle class schlub on sitcom after sitcom.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Every beautiful wife to middle class schlub on sitcom after sitcom.
    It's actually possible.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    His job isn't real. They made it up for tv but yea it's believable enough I guess. Alot of people out there right now probaly think hospitals have a doctor who only takes hard cases other doctors can't figure out. Anyway his behavior was the unbelievable part. He made no attempt to hide his drug use. He assaulted people,broke protocols in insane ways, and kept his license. He would have to deal with circumstances once in awhile but yea not really. I guess the in story excuse would be he was indispensable and Cutty protected him. Cause as Immortal weapon said Foreman pulled a house one time and lost his job. Was blackballed and Cutty/House were the only ones who would hire him.

Anyway one of my favorite shows of all time. Only medical drama I ever got into. But the **** he got away with stretched credibility right out the gate.
    No, there are actual Departments of Diagnostics even before the show.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    It's actually possible.
    Sure it happens, but not to the extent as on TV.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I would have to say Hawkeye on Mash. Ignored the command structure sis what ever he wanted when ever he wanted and got away with it because golly he was just such a damn good doctor. I mean does the Army not have any other good doctors? Does every other patient in the other MASH units die because there is no Hawkeye there? I enjoyed the show a bit more when BJ and Winchester were added because they were also good doctors even though they jobbed for Hawkeye.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I would have to say Hawkeye on Mash. Ignored the command structure sis what ever he wanted when ever he wanted and got away with it because golly he was just such a damn good doctor. I mean does the Army not have any other good doctors? Does every other patient in the other MASH units die because there is no Hawkeye there? I enjoyed the show a bit more when BJ and Winchester were added because they were also good doctors even though they jobbed for Hawkeye.
    Agree. In real life, there's no way Hawkeye isn't court martialed at least two dozen times or more.

Not to mention he was a good doctor while getting blind drunk a majority of the time.
    His drinking was touched on a few times, but yeah, he was unrealistically good at his job considering.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    It's actually possible.
    Not with those averages.

Ultimate Member

As to Hawkeye, if you really look at him all that he has is being a doctor, he does little to nothing else aside from drink and chase women, and I think that for the others in the camp as long as he was that good of a surgeon they would let him get away with a lot...and if Frank was so bad he would have been kicked out of the army and got his medical license revoked in the first or second season...

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    As to Hawkeye, if you really look at him all that he has is being a doctor, he does little to nothing else aside from drink and chase women, and I think that for the others in the camp as long as he was that good of a surgeon they would let him get away with a lot...and if Frank was so bad he would have been kicked out of the army and got his medical license revoked in the first or second season...
    Though I didn’t know it at the time, as I was only a kid, Frank’s eventual fate ... reassigned to command a VA hospital in his home State of Fort Wayne, Indiana and promoted to Lieutenant Colonel, is a classic example of something I saw a hundred times while serving in the Army.

You f*ck up, you move up.

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but I think Dexter (from Dexter...) is an unrealistic character in a great TV show. Sure, serial killers exist - but there's just too much about Dexter's character that is unrealistic.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Agree. In real life, there's no way Hawkeye isn't court martialed at least two dozen times or more.
    There is a little bit of truth to the way hawkeye was treated, but just a little. During the time, doctors could get away with a LOT. There weren't enough to go around and their commanders were reluctant to report them since it meant there would be a good chance they would loose a doctor and not get anything to replace them with.

I am sure that doctors did get a way with a lot. But they really over did it in Hawkeye's case. I am sure that on a local level someone like Potter would have let a lot slide. but when Hawkeye started to insult and disrespect the higher ups. like the generals and such which he did very often, Hell he even busted into the peace talks. I am sure that a high up general with a huge ego whose life is in the army is not going to over looked being talked down to and insulted in front of everyone in his command because Hawkeye is a good doctor. Even more so when BJ and Winchester were also in the 4077. it would no longer be a case of not giving Potter anyone if they took Hawkeye away, because BJ and Winchester were great doctors in their own right.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Spectacular Member

I am sure that doctors did get a way with a lot. But they really over did it in Hawkeye's case. I am sure that on a local level someone like Potter would have let a lot slide. but when Hawkeye started to insult and disrespect the higher ups. like the generals and such which he did very often, Hell he even busted into the peace talks. I am sure that a high up general with a huge ego whose life is in the army is not going to over looked being talked down to and insulted in front of everyone in his command because Hawkeye is a good doctor. Even more so when BJ and Winchester were also in the 4077. it would no longer be a case of not giving Potter anyone if they took Hawkeye away, because BJ and Winchester were great doctors in their own right.
    Of course the TV show (and the movie M*A*S*H which everyone seems to forget) had greatly exaggerated characters--the latter especially because, at least in its early years, it was supposed to be wacky comedy. Hard to pull off a Sitcom in a War setting without exaggerating the characters and setting some.
    That being said its worth noting that Richard Hooker whose original novel both the movie and TV series was based on, was, in fact, a surgeon in the Korean War (assigned to the 8055th) and his book was largely based on the experiences he had there.

Also I never thought Trapper John or Henry were bad surgeons--really only Frank is incompetent