Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    MJ does show up, as his neighbour, after his high school graduation.

But...
    spoilers:
    the issue ends with Peter, infected by Annihilus, attempting suicide by jumping out of the Bugle building, to avoid endangering others.
    end of spoilers
    SPOILERS

I don't like this issue.Peter and MJ would still be friends if the spider-bite didn't happen.No gwen or harry.Also peter was never this awkward when he was a young teen and he sure as hell would not be when he was an adult.Also is he dead or just a creature now.The ending was dark though.I wish they focused more on the no friends aspect of this if this is what they wanted to do.He just jumped from a building while undergoing a horrifying transformation.That takes real guts

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    SPOILERS

I don't like this issue.Peter and MJ would still be friends if the spider-bite didn't happen.No gwen or harry.Also peter was never this awkward when he was a young teen and he sure as hell would not be when he was an adult.Also is he dead or just a creature now.The ending was dark though.I wish they focused more on the no friends aspect of this if this is what they wanted to do.He just jumped from a building while undergoing a horrifying transformation.That takes real guts
    What are you basing this off of? Also in terms of his awkwardness wouldnt it make sense for it to continue to some degree if he never was Spider-Man?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    What are you basing this off of? Also in terms of his awkwardness wouldnt it make sense for it to continue to some degree if he never was Spider-Man?
    They are neighbours.Anna would still send MJ to mays house.Also this issue basically insinuates that if he never got the bite he would never grow up.He may not have grown up as fast but he would outgrown a lot of his awkwardness.In the comic you can't tell if he is a young teen or a adult by the way he talks.He would still be awkward but not to this extent.
    Also he made friends like harry even before the Spider-bite.He isn't that socially inept

I always thought Aunt May pushed Peter x MJ so hard because she was old and not always in the best health, so she wanted Peter to have someone in case the worst happened. But since Uncle Ben is still around she doesn't have to push so hard.

BANNED

I don't like this issue.Peter and MJ would still be friends if the spider-bite didn't happen.
    Don't see what your point is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I always thought Aunt May pushed Peter x MJ so hard because she was old and not always in the best health, so she wanted Peter to have someone in case the worst happened. But since Uncle Ben is still around she doesn't have to push so hard.
    that a good point. MJ looks like a friend to him this issue but they both are moving on to different things

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

SPOILERS

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    The main Heroes Reborn book answered that. We see a Daily Bugle with the headline Parker Luck Strikes Again. He broke his legs but lived.
    end of spoilers

Use SPOIL tags, please.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I'm impressed by Bernadin's writting. I'm not familiar with his work.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    I know you're not responding to me, but I think the answer is mostly no.

I mean, Peter Parker is a fictional character and wouldn't exist without the spider-bite, but putting that aside...

A lot of Spider-Man's story is an exaggerated metaphor for real life coming-of-age events. Without Spider-Man, Peter probably just goes through a more boring version of growing up that a lot of people experience and that would be boring to watch.

I don't think getting superpowers was Peter's one and only hope at overcoming his social awkwardness. Think of how depressing that would sound if it was true.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 05-12-2021 at 12:26 PM.

Astonishing Member

They are neighbours.Anna would still send MJ to mays house.Also this issue basically insinuates that if he never got the bite he would never grow up.He may not have grown up as fast but he would outgrown a lot of his awkwardness.In the comic you can't tell if he is a young teen or a adult by the way he talks.He would still be awkward but not to this extent.
    Also he made friends like harry even before the Spider-bite.He isn't that socially inept
    In 616, Peter didn't meet Harry, Gwen, or MJ until he entered college. The only pre-Spider-Man friends he had were Liz Allan, Sally Avril, and Tiny McKeever, and even then they weren't really strong friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post

I mean, Peter Parker is a fictional character and wouldn't exist without the spider-bite, but putting that aside...

A lot of Spider-Man's story is an exaggerated metaphor for real life coming-of-age events. Without Spider-Man, Peter probably just goes through a more boring version of growing up that a lot of people experience and that would be boring to watch.

I don't think getting superpowers was Peter's one and only hope at overcoming his social awkwardness. Think of how depressing that would sound if it was true.
    its not but i would be lying to say it didnt help him overcame it.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    In 616, Peter didn't meet Harry, Gwen, or MJ until he entered college. The only pre-Spider-Man friends he had were Liz Allan, Sally Avril, and Tiny McKeever, and even then they weren't really strong friends.
    The scene with MJ happened after his high school graduation, so we don't know exactly when they met. It could very easily have been earlier though, as he would've been home more often instead of out being Spider-Man.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

I happen to agree with you that getting superpowers is NOT Peter’s only hope at overcoming his social awkwardness. In plenty of fictional stories including some that were made prior to Amazing Fantasy 15, you see a story about a guy who has trouble in social situations. But he meets a woman who is his exact opposite, and brings him out of his shell. Rio Bravo with John Wayne and Angie Dickinson is one example ( Angie even talks about “You need to talk and marriage). A more recent film: Acts Of Betrayal with Maria Conchita Alonso. Former Special Forces and current FBI agent in a shell over the death of his wife, meets a loud Latina who is in witness protection (Alonso). Guess what happens in the end? He will be going wherever she goes. Taking this to Peter, MJ can fulfill the role of Dickinson and Alonso bringing out the best in men with lots of skills. Peter’s of course is his intelligence (even without superpowers).

Well that was f'ed up, Hyperion causes May's death and i would bet he will kill Peter as there was hints that the transformation took place regardless of his attempts to stop it.

BANNED

It would be like Craig Thompson's Blankets, or in terms of movies a bit like Say Anything, a bit like any other teenage coming-of-age movie.

Peter's fundamentally a normal guy. If you do his story realistically, you might have him start using drugs, or out of his angst about not getting a date, maybe soliciting prostitutes or strip clubs if you want to put his story in line with what real working-class nerds were up to in the 1960s and all the way today if we are being honest. In college which Peter got in on scholarship, a realistic Peter would likely aim higher and study hard to make it to MIT or Harvard (in 616, because Spider-Man needs to be in New York, the fictional Empire State University has to become the Berkeley-Harvard-MIT, the college that Reed Richards studied at, and so the apex scientific institute) and that would take him out of New York and maybe to Silicon Valley and the West Coast (where his path might or might not cross with MJ albeit she'll be in SoCal and he'll be NoCal).

Spider-Man is fundamentally too genteel to deal with realities of teenage boys. If you take the story in a too-real direction, it would ultimately make the character fairly unrecognizable and maybe not so appealing. Ed Brubaker wrote a comic called "The Last of the Innocent" as part of his CRIMINAL series. The comic was a deconstruction of Archie Comics (called Riley here) and part of its theme was about how little Archie Comics actually dealt with realities of teenage life in a suburban town roughly like Riverdale.

Ultimately it depends on the story one wants to tell. You could do any version of Peter without Powers. The Heroes Reborn imagines Peter as Jimmy Olsen, perennial office-boy sidekick to Hyperion (albeit someone who backtalks and sasses Hyperion behind his back which is good to see). But that's obviously not the only take one can do, it's simply the one that makes sense for the story Bernardin wants to tell.

The mechanics of Peter working as a Daily Bugle photographer without being Spider-Man doesn't make a whole lot of sense in the story to be honest.

And besides they changed May Parker's name. She's May Reilly Parker in the comics, in HR-Verse, she's Maybelle Parker...so this isn't butterfly effect where one thing got changed.