Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default The short-lived and underappreciated DC Comics discussion

Criteria here is to discuss comic book series that were short-lived, and underappreciated at their time. Could be a mini series from back in the day, could be a series that was cancelled due to lack of interest, etc.

What comes to mind?

Boisterously Confused

The first run of Booster Gold. It brilliantly touched on America's growing obsession with fame and wealth-from-fame. It was speaking to its time, which was the heyday of Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, but it's still relevant today when you consider the thirst of so many to make it as social media influencers.

It had a decent run, lasting 25 issues over two years. Booster's been back since, ranging from Blue Beetle's "bwahaha" partner in the JL, to "the greatest hero you never heard of" and (the best since his own title, IMO) is enormous role in 52. Nothing, however, really lived up to those first 15 or so issues of his inaugural title.

I’ll start if off with...

...this book was JUST hitting its stride when it was cancelled.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 01-22-2021 at 03:29 PM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post

Oh yeah. I adored The Power Company. Busiek's Kirk dePaul is my favorite of all the Manhunters.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 01-22-2021 at 03:44 PM.

I'm assuming 'short run' would be less than three years or 36 issues?

The first runs of Booster Gold and Blue Beetle both come to mind. 24 and 25 issues, respectively.
    Blue Devil was good and almost made it to 36 issues.
    Atari Force was better than the name implied. But what do you expect with Conway and ********Lopez on the book? Uunfortunately, it was cancelled after 20 issues.
    Amethyst's ongoing ran 16 issues and was pretty good. But you'd probably want to factor in the 12-issue mini that preceded it, as it was a continuation of it. Not bad at 28 issues, total.
    Arion, Lord of Atlantis lasted exactly 35 issues, one shy of 36. It was a good fantasy comic.
    (Note: Atari Force, Amethyst and Arion were all given one last Special issue to wrap up their storylines.)
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

For me, it was Aztek, the ultimate man, only ten numbers.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post

Good choice buddy! When I was reading the OP, this is the series I was absolutely going to mention! It needed more recognition for how Busiek was using his appreciation for all things DC as fodder for stories in this title - from Bork, an obscure character everyone had forgotten to Haunted Tank to Scorpio, to actually using Firestorm when nobody else seemed interested.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Oh yeah. I adored The Power Company. Busiek's Kirk dePaul is my favorite of all the Manhunters.
    ^^^Same. That version was very solid!

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Good choice buddy! When I was reading the OP, this is the series I was absolutely going to mention! It needed more recognition for how Busiek was using his appreciation for all things DC as fodder for stories in this title - from Bork, an obscure character everyone had forgotten to Haunted Tank to Scorpio, to actually using Firestorm when nobody else seemed interested.
    Yeah, Haunted Tank and Firestorm just got woven into the narrative and I was like, “oh hell no”!

Another book I liked was Chase...

I remember the book being a little scattershot in terms of story quality, and I didn’t enjoy the obligatory Batman cameo, but Chase’s backstory was good, and there was a ton of potential there.
    Maybe it was a case of being ahead of its time? I have to think a book like this might do a little better nowadays.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 01-22-2021 at 05:50 PM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I'm assuming 'short run' would be less than three years or 36 issues?

The first runs of Booster Gold and Blue Beetle both come to mind. 24 and 25 issues, respectively.
    Blue Devil was good and almost made it to 36 issues.
    Atari Force was better than the name implied. But what do you expect with Conway and ********Lopez on the book? Uunfortunately, it was cancelled after 20 issues.
    Amethyst's ongoing ran 16 issues and was pretty good. But you'd probably want to factor in the 12-issue mini that preceded it, as it was a continuation of it. Not bad at 28 issues, total.
    Arion, Lord of Atlantis lasted exactly 35 issues, one shy of 36. It was a good fantasy comic.
    (Note: Atari Force, Amethyst and Arion were all given one last Special issue to wrap up their storylines.)
    I completely agree with Booster Gold, Blue Beetle Blue Devil and Arion. I would add those Night Force and 'Mazing Man, both entertaining but in completely different ways

Mighty Member

Hawkman_Vol_5_1.jpg

Robert's Hawkman run. It is so good.

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    Hawkman_Vol_5_1.jpg

Robert's Hawkman run. It is so good.
    I don't think was really "short-lived" or underappreciated. this was probably the most celebrated run on Hawkman since, like, Hawkworld. it doesn't feel necessarily "short-lived" either, it felt more like it came, told it's story, then ended; as a good story should.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

There's a few from the 90's.

Chronos (12 issues)
    Hourman (25 issues)
    Young Heroes in Love (18 issues)
    Teen Titans (Jurgens) (24 issues)
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

I completely forgot about Huntress. Her first series from 1989 only lasted 19 issues, but I think it would've lasted much longer if it was marketed to the right people.

DC chose to promote her (and still half-arsed it) as a member of the Justice League.
    Buzz developed before JLI #24 that the new Huntress would be joining the team, and the book was given to the JLI editor to keep it in the same 'family' of titles.
    But she barely appeared in the series and was never really treated like a full member.

Meanwhile, her comic was very pulp-y and utilized a grungy charcoal-like inking style that helped the book look unique. Again, though, I'd say the book was mismatched with the target audience. If it was in the 'New Format' (a cheaper alternative to the Baxter paper at the time), alongside Green Arrow and The Question, I think it would've done a lot better.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Definitely, my choice would be Firestorm (1978):

Six issues of pure gold, and not loved enough !