Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I will say I feel like they're handling Amber better than the comic did in terms of her feeling more 3-Dimensional as a character and to better understand why Mark would like her and be interested in her beyond the fact that she's attractive. It makes the relationship feel more relevant and worth investing in
    Couldn't agree more. In the comics she kinda was there and that's all. In the show she is an actual character and she even has a reason to have a sympathy for Mark. I actually really like how show handles characters and gives them more depth and screentime.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

spoilers:
    I'm happy to see Titan changed his life for the better in the end.
    end of spoilers

Just watched episode 5. This has been awesome so far. Can’t believe I never read any of this. I usually pass by the Image section at my LCS.

spoilers:
    It was nice to see more of Mark's Rogues Gallery finally pop up, if only in cameos.

They did an amazing job expanding on Titan in this episode. Although considering how long until Kirkman followed up on this subplot in the comics, I wonder when we'll see him next.

Eve's parents show up way earlier than they did in the comics and are still terrible. Also Eve is so overpowered that it's kind of a shame that she's just not feeling being a Superhero anymore.

It looks like Amber is going to inspire Eve to go to Africa here. They seem to be becoming much closer friends than they were in the comics, which makes me wonder how that'll impact Mark and Eve getting together.

Debbie investigating Nolan is going to make the impact of the reveal compared to the comic very, very interesting.

Battle Beast is...Battle Beast.
    end of spoilers

I hope we don't have to wait until season 2 for too long. This is a killer show. I like it even more than I liked The Boys.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I will say I feel like they're handling Amber better than the comic did in terms of her feeling more 3-Dimensional as a character and to better understand why Mark would like her and be interested in her beyond the fact that she's attractive. It makes the relationship feel more relevant and worth investing in.

spoilers:
    Even though we all know the relationship is doomed to fail because Eve is the actual female lead.
    end of spoilers

Also kind of surreal that she sounds like Domino.
    Speaking of Amber...

spoilers:
    I hope they handle the break up better than the comic did. I get there was obvious problems with their relationship by that point but Mark took her essentially cheating on him with.... (what’s his name again? G something?) way to happily for my liking. Even if he was ready to move on to Eve shortly afterwards.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheImmortalHulk View Post
    I hope we don't have to wait until season 2 for too long. This is a killer show. I like it even more than I liked The Boys.
    Yeah I hope they do like Netflix did for She-Ra and come out with a couple of shorter season a year rather than only once a year.

Spectacular Member SavageJudgeDredd's Avatar

The show is good stuff for sure, nice to see. Just like your usual "the book is better" fan, I do myself find the book a good bit better. But this is a very solid and fun adaptation, and it's fun to see. And nice that it's raising the profile of the comic, I saw it was all over the top selling image collections on retailers etc. Really well deserved.

For the show, one thing is so many things focus on origins and high school etc, so I'm kind of itching for the show to get to the next era. Maybe even a little time skip. And with a change in the character design, especially once the gang is in their 20s etc.

I think sometimes it's fun to pepper in lots of little things, instead of extending and prolonging a few things. This gives the show a more usual TV rhythm, but I like the "day in the life" feel the comic has, where we feel time passes more and more interesting stuff happens.

Plus, I think characters like Nolan and Eve came across more nuanced and better in the comic. None the less, do really like the show, just has big shoes to fill for me.

Plus, since it would be fairly unexpected for this show to get more than say 5 of these 8 ep seasons, I'd like to get past the initial arc sooner. And just have a more fast and loose anything can happen feel. Still, pretty cool.
    Last edited by SavageJudgeDredd; 04-15-2021 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SavageJudgeDredd View Post
    The show is good stuff for sure, nice to see. Just like your usual "the book is better" fan, I do myself find the book a good bit better. But this is a very solid and fun adaptation, and it's fun to see. And nice that it's raising the profile of the comic, I saw it was all over the top selling image collections on retailers etc. Really well deserved.

For the show, one thing is so many things focus on origins and high school etc, so I'm kind of itching for the show to get to the next era. Maybe even a little time skip. And with a change in the character design, especially once the gang is in their 20s etc.

I think sometimes it's fun to pepper in lots of little things, instead of extending and prolonging a few things. This gives the show a more usual TV rhythm, but I like the "day in the life" feel the comic has, where we feel time passes more and more interesting stuff happens.

Plus, I think characters like Nolan and Eve came across more nuanced and better in the comic. None the less, do really like the show, just has big shoes to fill for me.

Plus, since it would be fairly unexpected for this show to get more than say 5 of these 8 ep seasons, I'd like to get past the initial arc sooner. And just have a more fast and loose anything can happen feel. Still, pretty cool.
    I feel like they're definitely adding a lot of layers to Nolan before the big reveal happens.

I think they're doing a slower build on Eve.

Spectacular Member SavageJudgeDredd's Avatar

I feel like they're definitely adding a lot of layers to Nolan before the big reveal happens.

I think they're doing a slower build on Eve.
    I can see where you're coming from, for it's just a different take rather than additive. And for me it comes across as more nuanced and overall better in the comic. Like people have pointed out, the difference in the Flaxan thing, and how that plays out. The show is essentially making it less naunced in that they're making him an easier to understand spoilers:
    "ruthless villain"
    end of spoilers kind of figure, at least to a degree in this part of the story. Where as in the book, it's just more quirky and cool, or just unique. In that he is an all around good guy, and this seemingly incongruous thing happened none the less. And there are other details of his character like him being an author etc that are left out. In the show he comes across as this kind of cold scary guy, where as in the book it's more like he's a complex and honestly lovable guy spoilers:
    who did a horrific thing.
    end of spoilers But, I enjoy the show's take too, it's just tough to top the comic for me.

On Eve, it's little things, like the voice acting and her personality. Though another thing about books is more is open to interpretation and done with your imagination. I'll say to me Eve in the book comes across as kind of a chill say "valley girl / hippie girl / surfer girl" personality to some degree, just for shorthand. In other words, she's kind of down to Earth and laidback in a lot ways, and a bit quirky. Though some of that will be in the funny and unique facial expressions of the comic. In the show so far she's more your kind of usual spitfire quick to anger character, and she seems less mature than she did in the comic even from the getgo. But again, I do like the character in the show, I just prefer the character in the book.

To keep it balanced, I'll throw a few things I really love in the show in here too. Walton Goggins as Cecil. The character feels a little different than in the book, and it's hard not to with such a powerful charisma added to him, but I like that. Now I just pretty much love Cecil, he's a pleasure. Mark Hamill as Art rules too, and Sandra Oh is nailing it as Debbie.

Immortal's classic "when in doubt, throw them into space". That was a glorious comic moment captured to perfection.

I also really enjoyed the comedic asides with that Jon Hamm guard character. Reminded me a bit of the tone of Clerks the animated series. In general, I'd love to see even more comedy in this series.
    Last edited by SavageJudgeDredd; 04-15-2021 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SavageJudgeDredd View Post
    I can see where you're coming from, for it's just a different take rather than additive. And for me it comes across as more nuanced and overall better in the comic. Like people have pointed out, the difference in the Flaxan thing, and how that plays out. The show is essentially making it less naunced in that they're making him an easier to understand spoilers:
    "ruthless villain"
    end of spoilers kind of figure, at least to a degree in this part of the story. Where as in the book, it's just more quirky and cool, or just unique. In that he is an all around good guy, and this seemingly incongruous thing happened none the less. And there are other details of his character like him being an author etc that are left out. In the show he comes across as this kind of cold scary guy, where as in the book it's more like he's a complex and honestly lovable guy spoilers:
    who did a horrific thing.
    end of spoilers But, I enjoy the show's take too, it's just tough to top the comic for me.

On Eve, it's little things, like the voice acting and her personality. Though another thing about books is more is open to interpretation and done with your imagination. I'll say to me Eve in the book comes across as kind of a chill say "valley girl / hippie girl / surfer girl" personality to some degree, just for shorthand. In other words, she's kind of down to Earth and laidback in a lot ways, and a bit quirky. Though some of that will be in the funny and unique facial expressions of the comic. In the show so far she's more your kind of usual spitfire quick to anger character, and she seems less mature than she did in the comic even from the getgo. But again, I do like the character in the show, I just prefer the character in the book.
    I feel like they're more showing the reality of Nolan that we didn't get to see until later in the comic and having that play out for longer than the comic did and how that contrast and his attempt to cling to what he has builds up to what we see from him later.

I think Eve in the show is still pretty mature and down-to-Earth, we just also see two of the biggest points in the book that made her angry and bitter (Rex and her parents).

I'm not sure if I'm did of some of the changes. The plot is going all over the place.

I became comics fan 2005, Invincible was one of my first fav superhero comics. I'm a big fan ,liked how faithful this adaptation is. The characters feel very similar to their comics versions, Amber is improved, I cant even remember her comic version well because she was just there. The only thing I don't like is the comic did much better Marks improvement, flaws as rookie superhero. I didn't like the Mars ep, Mark looked too clueless. Liked better the last ep, how Titan played him and he got destroyed by Battle Beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantomen View Post
    I became comics fan 2005, Invincible was one of my first fav superhero comics. I'm a big fan ,liked how faithful this adaptation is. The characters feel very similar to their comics versions, Amber is improved, I cant even remember her comic version well because she was just there. The only thing I don't like is the comic did much better Marks improvement, flaws as rookie superhero. I didn't like the Mars ep, Mark looked too clueless. Liked better the last ep, how Titan played him and he got destroyed by Battle Beast.
    It seems like Mark has a slower and harder learning curve than he did in the comic.

Meanwhile, Eve feels much more effective.

Extraordinary Member

Young justice has some competition

Amber is pretty much Zendaya MaryJane