Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kalai View Post
    So Mark is actually half-Asian,
    his mother is actually Korean, didn't realize that when reading the comic.
    Also the voice actors seems like Asian right, apart from JK Simmons.
    I thought that was a change made for the show. Like how they made Amber black.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I thought that was a change made for the show. Like how they made Amber black.
    I agree. I've seen people in the past speculate that Debbie and Mark were possibly Asian due to the way some panels looked, but it was never mentioned and I read them as white. I think they tweaked that for the show to match with the voice actors.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

This show has one of the most astounding casts I have ever seen: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6741278/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

How on earth did Amazon manage this? I guess with money. A lot of money.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

The episodes were everything I wanted more. There’s something so specially nostalgic when it comes to Invincible. I read it as I was growing up, so it holds a special place in my heart.

Spectacular Member

The scene with the Guardians; I thought it was much more well executed in the comic. This was just gore for the sake of gore; they are clearly trying to tap into the Walking Dead and to tell the audience 'this isn't just a kid's show'. But it was like watching some really bad anime. It put me off entirely, in much the same way that Glenn's brutal murder did on Walking Dead. That's it, I'm done. It does not further the narrative at all. It makes it nonsensical that he can then decimate the Flaxans later on. It also makes little sense that he would have any hope of taking the entire planet when it is clearly established that Earth has numerous other super-powered beings.

There are some stories that work better in comic form- Invincible is one of them.

The only real improvement? So far no sign of the casual homophobia that ruined the original comic run for me. At times, Kirkman writes like a prepubescent teen, its just embarassing and lazy because he is a much more capable writer.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Just watched episode 4... I can't get over how good this show is. I just recommended it to friends who never read the comics and I'm looking forward to hearing what they think.

My favorite aspect of the show is that the changes work to give a fresh take on the comicbook and to make it a new enough experience to those who have read the comics. I have read the first 35 issues of the original series and, if the show just had adapted the story panel by panel, I wouldn't see much value in it. But as it is, I look forward for the next episode not knowing exactly what I'm going to find.
    There're some scenes, dialogues and jokes that didn't land right with me, but most of it was great. The animation has a lot of things to improve, but I get that it's hard and expensive to finance an adult animated action show. I expect this to be one of many projects like this to come. The closest I had seen to Invincible on a streaming platform is Young Justice season 3
    Last edited by Chubistian; 04-02-2021 at 04:22 PM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by madave View Post
    The scene with the Guardians; I thought it was much more well executed in the comic. This was just gore for the sake of gore; they are clearly trying to tap into the Walking Dead and to tell the audience 'this isn't just a kid's show'. But it was like watching some really bad anime. It put me off entirely, in much the same way that Glenn's brutal murder did on Walking Dead. That's it, I'm done. It does not further the narrative at all. It makes it nonsensical that he can then decimate the Flaxans later on. It also makes little sense that he would have any hope of taking the entire planet when it is clearly established that Earth has numerous other super-powered beings.
    To me it was different because we actually got to see the Guardians put up a fight instead of how quick and efficient it was in the comic, which I thought was an interesting take.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    My favorite aspect of the show is that the changes work to give a fresh take on the comicbook and to make it a new enough experience to those who have read the comics. I have read the first 35 issues of the original series and, if the show just had adapted the story panel by panel, I wouldn't see much value in it. But as it is, I look forward for the next episode not knowing exactly what I'm going to find.
    There're some scenes, dialogues and jokes that didn't land right with me, but most of it was great. The animation has a lot of things to improve, but I get that it's hard and expensive to finance an adult animated action show. I expect this to be one of many projects like this to come. The closest I had seen to Invincible on a streaming platform is Young Justice season 3
    Some of the DC Animated Features were basically Invincible before Invincible, and you can check out a lot of them on HBOMax.

Quote Originally Posted by capuga View Post
    I agree. I've seen people in the past speculate that Debbie and Mark were possibly Asian due to the way some panels looked, but it was never mentioned and I read them as white. I think they tweaked that for the show to match with the voice actors.
    I thought Mark was Asian before the show
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To me it was different because we actually got to see the Guardians put up a fight instead of how quick and efficient it was in the comic, which I thought was an interesting take.

Some of the DC Animated Features were basically Invincible before Invincible, and you can check out a lot of them on HBOMax.
    I’ve seen some of the DC Animated movies, not a fan though.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    I thought Mark was Asian before the show
    Sure, I've seen plenty of other people that viewed it that way as well.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

I had heard of Invincible but never read it. I am on spring break this week and decided to watch, WOW! My jaw hit the floor at the end of the first episode and I quickly blew through the rest. I enjoyed it so much, I went to my LCS and picked up the first ultimate collection and wolfed it down as well. I can't believe I have never picked this book up before.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

What do you guys think about some of people in the reviews saying the show is openly pandering in episode 3 and not true to the source materiel. I hope they don't harm the show. They are getting angry over things like Amber being changed being Black and a few other things.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 04-07-2021 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    What do you guys think about some of people in the reviews saying the show is openly pandering in episode 3 and not true to the source materiel. I hope they don't harm the show. They are getting angry over things like Amber being changed being Black and a few other things.
    Generally speaking I'm pretty lenient when it comes to adaptations making changes to the source material. As long as the main beats and thematic core of a story is maintained (and plot holes aren't opened up by screwing with the plot) I don't have a problem with stuff getting switched up. Hell, it's a necessity much of the time, since what works for one format doesn't always work for another.

And in Invincible's case, I actually think some of the changes work better than the source material. The "murder mystery" of who killed the Guardians is a lot more dynamic in the show, for example, and I think it's helped establish a lot about some of these characters (even introduced a few we hadn't met in the comic by this point) without throwing things off.

The bitching about race changing Amber is....that's just dumb. I mean....it's *Amber* for gods' sake; she's one of the least important characters in the entire narrative.

I'm not worried about these trolls hurting the show's reception. They bitched about Black Panther, they bitched about Captain Marvel....they bitch about everything that doesn't involve a straight white guy and all they ever accomplish, if they accomplish anything at all, is generating a lot of free publicity and encouraging the rest of us to support the product even harder.

Like others here, I've hyped this show up to everyone who will listen (including a bunch of friends who passed on the comic back in the day) and every single person has said it's amazing. People who don't watch cartoons, or don't like superheroes, or only follow the Big 2 characters, every one of them has literally screamed about how good Invincible is (literally screamed!). I'm not worried about this show at all.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I will say I feel like they're handling Amber better than the comic did in terms of her feeling more 3-Dimensional as a character and to better understand why Mark would like her and be interested in her beyond the fact that she's attractive. It makes the relationship feel more relevant and worth investing in.

spoilers:
    Even though we all know the relationship is doomed to fail because Eve is the actual female lead.
    end of spoilers

Also kind of surreal that she sounds like Domino.