Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Peter David's Captain Marvel run. Funny, cool, thought-provoking at times, and weird in the all right ways (not like Morrison's meta-on-meta commentary crap). He got a character that really no had before and while the whole "Captain Marvel goes insane" arc ran longer than it should it was always a fun read. While I do think giving Carol Danvers the Captain Marvel mantle was right decision I still like this version for it's absolute bonkers take on Marvel's version of Captain Marvel.

X-Factor by Peter David. David's original run on the series in 90s is about 12 issues but his return to the series was the best X-Book Marvel was putting out. Keeping the team on the sides through most of the crossovers allowed David to actual comment and be snarky about some of it. Plus he did a lot with essentially C and D list characters, he made The Multiple Man a leader on the same level of Wolverine and Cyclops, he finally had Shatterstar and Rictor come out of the closet, Monet came out as Muslim, Siren dealing with the death of her father (her reaction was understandable in the Marvel Universe), a false pregnancy, and her drinking problems. He did some great stuff with Reign, Polaris, and Havok, Pip the Troll was a riot, plus the book was a lot of fun. Even when David had a damn stroke he somehow kept up with the bi-weekly publishing schedule and the book was never late.

The Green Goblin a 12 or 13 issue run that debuted the often forgotten Goblin who tried to really tried be a superhero.

Nightwatch Marvel's version of Spawn was very 90s but I still have a soft spot for this series.

Blackwulf Angel Media's artwork is the thing I liked about this series.
    Last edited by Cyberstrike; 02-03-2021 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I talk about this comic a lot but man do I) really love it

Hey babyblob, saw this pic and thought you might like it...:

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post

The Green Goblin a 12 or 13 issue run that debuted the often forgotten Goblin who tried to really tried be a superhero.
    I can imagine many would find it incredibly dated and very 90s at this point, but I'm another one who absolutely loved the Green Goblin series. The two-part crossover with the Scarlet Spider remains my favorite team-up to this day, and despite Phil's villainy (and death) in recent years, I still hold out hope that he can join the Slingers someday, along with both Scarlet Spiders.

That era, with Phil as GG and Ben as the Scarlet Spider and a member of the New Warriors, is my favorite guilty-pleasure era of comics. I'd love to see an alternate reality where Peter never regained his powers and Ben remained the Scarlet Spider, a partner to Phil, and a NW member.

-Pav, who as a kid was floored by what the Spidey comics were doing at the time...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Strikeforce it was superior to Tini Howard's Excalibur in everyway yet it ended largely due to lack of marketing & Excalibur continues.

Extraordinary Member

Strikeforce Morituri

Stand-alone comic series that can be adapted in media or rebooted in new comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Strikeforce it was superior to Tini Howard's Excalibur in everyway yet it ended largely due to lack of marketing & Excalibur continues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Strikeforce Morituri

Stand-alone comic series that can be adapted in media or rebooted in new comics.
    That’s strike one, strike two, and I’ll add strike three w. THUNDERSTRIKE.
    A blue collar Thunderer set mostly on earth w. occasional Asgardian forays to play off the main Thor book was a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    That’s strike one, strike two, and I’ll add strike three w. THUNDERSTRIKE.
    A blue collar Thunderer set mostly on earth w. occasional Asgardian forays to play off the main Thor book was a great idea.
    As a character, Eric masterson sure deserved better. I like his son, but, quite frankly, he doesn't hold a candle to good ol' Thunderstrike. A true "Hero of the 90's".

Peace

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Thunderstrike is one of those myriad of 90s titles that had a decent run and a one off Omni for the whole thing would please me!

Others:
    Sleepwalker
    Deathlok
    Darkhawk (It'd be large but Marvel has done it)
    Cage
    Spirits of Vengeance + Midnight Sons Unlimited
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post

Nightwatch Marvel's version of Spawn was very 90s but I still have a soft spot for this series.

Blackwulf Angel Media's artwork is the thing I liked about this series.
    Own all of Nightwatch and got his first appearances before the rumor of him being in Spiderman 2.

Own Green Goblin and might be missing 1 issue.

McDuffie/Wright Deathlok just need the last 3 issues.

Night Thrasher mini and ongoing.

I have two issues of NFL Superpro

I never finished collecting New Warriors. Got issue 1-34. 36-38 41 48 50-53 74 75.

Gen X 1-23 some of 30-70 72-75.

Spectacular Member

Aside from titles mentioned by others:

The Cat (Greer Nelson was very different here than as Tigra)
    Power Man and Iron Fist (second series)
    Official Marvel Index (modern era)
    Champions (1970s series)
    Adminstrator,
    Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works
    https://whowatchesthewatchers.boardhost.com/index.php

Incredible Member

Marvel Universe. Not the Official Handbook ,but a short lived(seven issues) series written by Roger Stern in 1998. An anthology of sorts featuring stories set before the arrival of Fantastic Four. Tons of stories that could've been told. But only got two good stories before it got shelved. An Invaders story. And a cool story dealing with Marvel pre-FF monsters ,and their origins. Introducing the 1950's team of the Monster Hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy E. Nystrom View Post
    Champions (1970s series)
    I absolutely ADORE that run. I loathe Marvelf for ruining the brand (after not being able to use it for decades due to legal reasons) with the lame new teen wonders copycats. Ugh! Such a waste.

Peace

Astonishing Member

Alien Legion. I know it's not owned by Marvel but it was released by its creator own imprint. One of the best space operas out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Another series that got the x way to early was the 2009 Exiles series. Jeff Parker finally seemed to be getting the team back to what it was before Claremont ruined the original series. Parker really got what the book was supposed to be about, and it's a shame Marvel killed it after only 6 issues. I really think is marvel had waited a year or two and let the stink of the Claremont series die down before launching this series it would have done much better.

Loved this run. Gutted it ended so soon.

The 11 issue Blackman/Del Mundo Elektra run is hugely under appreciated in my eyes. The art was stunning and the opening chapter gave Elektra an intriguing new nemesis in Bloody Lips and also gave her own supporting cast. I was devastated that it ended so soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I absolutely ADORE that run. I loathe Marvelf for ruining the brand (after not being able to use it for decades due to legal reasons) with the lame new teen wonders copycats. Ugh! Such a waste.

Peace
    I had the exact same opinion when the book was relaunched.