Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Short-lived and underappreciated Marvel Comics

Criteria here is to discuss comic book series that were short-lived, and underappreciated at their time. Could be a mini series from back in the day, could be a series that was cancelled due to lack of interest, etc.

What comes to mind?

Definitely, my choice is Young Allies (2010):

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post

Loved that book. I got a thing for books that focus on the usually 2nd of 3rd string characters.

This one was probably never intended to go further then it did...but loved the Asgardians of The Galaxy.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Smile

I thought this Comic was Amazing, Espically the first serveral issues! The Artwork was great and the inking was vivid and the Writer Ewing has become one of my favorite currant writters at Marvel, this Series being a big help for that!

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

A bitter New Warriors fan MitchFox's Avatar

This short-lived underrated comic comes to my mind....

2014 New Warriors
    Last edited by MitchFox; 01-22-2021 at 07:29 PM.
    Tumblr: http://oxymitch.tumblr.com/

MITCH'S FAVOURITES - Speedball, Justice (Vance Astrovik), Gambit, Jubilee, Rogue, Wiccan, Speed, Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Quicksilver, She-Hulk, Cosmo

Fantastic Member

I just read the Legion Trauma series. I really liked it. Like Moonknight but more straightforward and not as dark. Maybe this is too recent to count.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Loved that book. I got a thing for books that focus on the usually 2nd of 3rd string characters.

This one was probably never intended to go further then it did...but loved the Asgardians of The Galaxy.
    ^^^Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.
    I was so looking forward to what the team would get up to for their NEXT cosmic adventure.

For me, I’d like to submit Devil Dinosaur...

I’ve always been a sucker for a Dino/Human partnership, and Kirby’s series, all nine issues of it, was a big part of that. As many times as Double D has been revisited by creators over the years, there’s obv. something cool about him. I only wish Kirby had gotten a longer run to flesh out the world he created and add more crazy characters to the concept.

I will always bring up Slingers in these type of threads.

How about a whole line of comics, cancelled too soon?

When the New Universe debuted, the cover designs and a lot of the art was meant to evoke an old fashioned look. They went to almost absurd lengths to hide the fact that ppl had developed superpowers, and keep things as “the world outside your window”. After nearly two fairly mediocre years they flipped the switch, modernized the look of the books, and blew the lid off the secret that were paranormals. Literally.
    They blew up Pittsburgh.
    After that the overall narrative went in some really interesting directions as the world was changed forever. It was too little too late though, as the line was cancelled right as things were getting great.

Even though the New U’s been visited since then, and incorporated into the 616 in various ways it’s never really been done to my satisfaction. I can’t help but wonder what could’ve been accomplished if the line had lasted another few years at least.

Comet man. After his limited series was gone other then a few time in fantastic four.

[IMG][/IMG]

And of course--

[IMG][/IMG]

Plus the lost generation.

[IMG][/IMG]

Captain Britain and MI:13.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    For me, I’d like to submit Devil Dinosaur...

I’ve always been a sucker for a Dino/Human partnership, and Kirby’s series, all nine issues of it, was a big part of that. As many times as Double D has been revisited by creators over the years, there’s obv. something cool about him. I only wish Kirby had gotten a longer run to flesh out the world he created and add more crazy characters to the concept.
    Some comics are short-lived for good reasons…
    But the Saga of the Red Devil is not one of them. I read it in black and white and liked it. For me, it was perfect the way it was and I’m not a huge fan of Kirkby’s style.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    I will always bring up Slingers in these type of threads.
    Couldn't agree more.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post

Yeah thoroughly enjoyed this series when it first came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Some comics are short-lived for good reasons…
    But the Saga of the Red Devil is not one of them. I read it in black and white and liked it. For me, it was perfect the way it was and I’m not a huge fan of Kirkby’s style.
    I’m not a fan of Kirby’s New Gods/Inhumans/Eternals (other than individual characters from each franchise), but i AM a fan of his Kamandi, and Devil Dinosaur reminded me of that. It just never got a chance to get rolling!

And Devil Dinosaur was part of the greatest crossover ever when I was a kid...: