Extraordinary Member

Default Shonen Jump Gauntlet Metch: 70s-80s edition

This is a gauntlet match, meaning the first two people on the list enter, and whoever wins between them faces the next guy, and so on. The fight will happen twice. Once with Speed Equalized, and once without. Use the most recent versions of these characters with useable feats, but only from the original Manga.

1. Kouji Kabuto
    2. Suguru Kinniku
    3. Arale Norimaki
    4. Kenshiro
    5. Son Goku
    6. Pegasus Seiya
    7. Jonathan Joestar
    8. Joseph Joestar
    9. Dark Schneider
    10. Jotaro Kujo

For this one, my feeling is that we have a good fight between Arale and Kenshiro, depends on whether Arale is fast enough to hit Ken before he activates Musou Tensei. If so, she has feats where she does stuff like cracking the Earth (how it gets repaired is a good question) or throw an asteroid to the moon, so she should be able to hurt him. Winner gets beaten badly by Goku. And then, since we stop at the end of the Buu Saga for Goku due to the OP stipulations, my feeling is that he can win against God Cloth Seiya, but he'll know he has been in a fight, due to Seiya's speed advantage (At this point, even SSJ3 Goku is not lightspeed, right? I don't have the full DB speed algorithm in mind?). Unless I am wrong (not that knowledgeable about Jojo, even if I did a bit of research), the Jojos are not moving at a significant fraction of lightspeed, so they get blitzed by the winner of the Goku/Seiya fight. As for Dark Schneider, I did a bit of research. While I have seen mentions of FTL travel speed, are there combat/reflex feats in that range that would be interesting for DS?

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchGemini View Post
    For this one, my feeling is that we have a good fight between Arale and Kenshiro, depends on whether Arale is fast enough to hit Ken before he activates Musou Tensei. If so, she has feats where she does stuff like cracking the Earth (how it gets repaired is a good question) or throw an asteroid to the moon, so she should be able to hurt him. Winner gets beaten badly by Goku. And then, since we stop at the end of the Buu Saga for Goku due to the OP stipulations, my feeling is that he can win against God Cloth Seiya, but he'll know he has been in a fight, due to Seiya's speed advantage (At this point, even SSJ3 Goku is not lightspeed, right? I don't have the full DB speed algorithm in mind?). Unless I am wrong (not that knowledgeable about Jojo, even if I did a bit of research), the Jojos are not moving at a significant fraction of lightspeed, so they get blitzed by the winner of the Goku/Seiya fight. As for Dark Schneider, I did a bit of research. While I have seen mentions of FTL travel speed, are there combat/reflex feats in that range that would be interesting for DS?
    Darsh is... I don't know what counts as the original run of the manga because... I think there was second series of Bastard! or something at some point.

Peak Darsh is pretty ridiculous as I recall.

I should really get around to reading Bastard! properly.

Okay, did some looking through the back end of Bastard!! and found Majin Dark Schneider throwing down with Uriel among other things.

Of note, lot of statement-y stuff but some fun feats as well;

- Darsh and Uriel have shields known as "Dispel Bound" that are adaptive magical shields that completely cancel various types of attacks and are constantly layered and shifting.
    - Darsh and Uriel have "Eternal Atoms," that are their source of life and all damage done to their bodies that doesn't reach their Eternal Atoms will be instantly regenerated.
    - Darsh completely effortlessly stops an attack that is stated to be "as strong as a supernova,"
    - A demon opponent transforms into his Demon Lord form which is meant to be "as powerful as a quasar," and has a whole punch of quantum flavour text stuff, and Darsh tears him to pieces with ease.
    - Said same demon opponent uses an ability that is "more powerful than a nuke," and Darsh blocks it with one finger.
    - Darsh and Uriel are noted to be exchanging "millions of attacks per second," when they fight.
    - The combined Judas Pain held within Darsh's body is stated to be capable of destroy a galaxy and is stated to be more powerful than "a supermassive blackhole,"
    - Darsh has head punched into vapor by Uriel but instantly regenerates it.

I'll keep flicking through but Darsh is ridiculously hard to put down at his peak.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

I'm not sure if Kenshiro can really do anything to even scratch Arale, due to her being able to laugh off hits that send planets smashing into one another and probably not having any pressure points that he is aware of due to her being a robot. I guess if he can become intangible before being punted into the sun, he might be able to wait her out since she runs out of power quicker than he does, IIRC.

Extraordinary Member

I'm surprised the Mazinger isn't more in the conversation

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Mazinger isn't in this.

Kouji Kabuto is but his mech is not mentioned.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Mazinger isn't in this.

Kouji Kabuto is but his mech is not mentioned.
    One would assume that a mecha pilot's mech is part of his standard equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    My bad, I forgot about him. Strictly going from the wiki, I am seeing FTL combat speed mentions, and potentially multiversal strength, which would carry him to the end of this gauntlet, indeed. Can't find a respect thread, so I will have to rely on more knowledgeable people here.

As for the Dark Schneider stuff, thanks Nik. Now the question is, how many of those could be Saint Seiya-style hyperbole, and how many can be verified to actually be what they are said to be ? The "Eternal Atoms" does make me think it will take at least Goku going SSJ2 to take him down, though.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchGemini View Post
    My bad, I forgot about him. Strictly going from the wiki, I am seeing FTL combat speed mentions, and potentially multiversal strength, which would carry him to the end of this gauntlet, indeed. Can't find a respect thread, so I will have to rely on more knowledgeable people here.
    Some of that stuff might be from the more recent Shin Mazinger Zero series which is not the OG stuff and also... boy that has some big old specific asterisks to it.

Came up on the board here but, as far as I know, none of that stuff is in or canon to the OG Mazinger series from the 70s. Now, I've not read the manga from the 70s so I could well be wrong but I would be quite surprised.

As for the Dark Schneider stuff, thanks Nik. Now the question is, how many of those could be Saint Seiya-style hyperbole, and how many can be verified to actually be what they are said to be ? The "Eternal Atoms" does make me think it will take at least Goku going SSJ2 to take him down, though.
    Weeeelll... it's a bit all over the shop.

I read more of Bastard!!'s back end (utterly hated it, it's really not my sort of thing) and it's... hard to say that DS ever gets into the planet busting range to be honest. There's a moment when... hoo boy, here we go:

After losing pretty cleanly to Majin Dark Schneider; Uriel, the fallen angel and new absolute king of hell, summons his Augodies (basically an enormous dark matter organic mecha centaur) to make himself stronger and carry on the fight. DS responds by summoning Lucifer, The Dragon Knight, basically a big old King Ghidora looking mecha. The two start beam warring at each other and eventually the force of said beams, seems to blast them out of Hell (another dimension) and back into the physical world.

It's worth noting that Darsh is maintaining personal shields on like... maybe hundreds of humans who were caught in hell and keeps this up throughout the whole fight.

Uriel and Darsh, in their respective mecha things, land on a big old town and carry on beam-warring at each other. Statements here are like "Oh man, if DS wasn't handling this perfectly, then the whole country would have been destroyed," They keep beaming, Uriel has a bit of an existential crisis of missing his improbably busty sister who was tortured and murdered by demons causing him to become fallen and manifests a giant angel construct of said angel sister to make his firepower stronger.

DS then charges him in the Dragon Knight, the mecha falls apart, DS flies out of it and keeps going. He then busts into Augodies and beats Uriel down. He then replicates Uriel's sister after having apparently devouring the remains of her soul earlier in the fight, which a lot of angels and demons were like "bwha, this is meant to be impossible, he must be the closest being to god or something," and Uriel gives up and turns into flower petals.

This is meant to be, conceptually, the highest level fight in the series and it tears them out of a dimension (somehow, the dimension is still there because the Devil Kings are still chilling from there watching the fight) and mostly messes up a city/town. People are like a couple of miles away and are watching it without dying.

I would need to read more of Bastard!! to be sure about scaling stuff. There's walls of incomprehensible shitty flavour text about how "quantum," and "galaxy busting," stuff is but this seldom seems to resolve on the page as concrete feats. Like, Dispel Bound, the constantly evolving perfect shields bit is mentioned like once and then doesn't really seem to ever be relevant again.

Also, I don't want to read Bastard!! anymore because it's not very well written. :P Braver souls than me can track it down and do research. I do warn you, it really kind of sucks.

Generally, being generous here, I could see him throwing down with Super Saiyans and so on. If we're going strictly be original manga, I'd personally pitch him somewhere in the Cell Saga in terms of power balancing his presentation and the statements and whatnot. Maybe like... Trunks level but just a lot harder to put down? His regeneration and ability to resurrect himself are outrageously good.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 01-26-2021 at 04:21 AM.