Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, she's 25 in season 1, 30 now. In the comics she's only 16, so Kara definitely needs to be aged up. She originally debuted before the Teen Titans formed, her age should reflect that. If Dick is in his mid 20s, it makes sense that Kara should be as well. The only problem is that aging Kara Danvers up results in Power Girl Karen Starr losing one of the things that makes her stand out (Earth 2 Kara has always been older than the Earth 1/0 version).
    As I said elsewhere, I don't see why Power Girl can't be 50. Plenty of knockout female celebs at that age and it's a gap not covered. She was mentored by a Clark Kent who would be over 100 now back when he had a secret identity still.

I suppose as a Kryptonian, she'd still look young anyway, even if she was several decades older.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I don't know why so many people hate their superhero names. It's not like Cosmic Boy, Saturn Girl, and Shadow Lass are any more ridiculous than a name like Green Lantern or Aquaman.
    Well, that depends, if Cosmic Boy is older than 21, he should be Cosmic Man, right? The same thing doesn't necessarily apply to heroes called Girl though. You wouldn't call an adult male "boy", but females seem to not mind being called "girl" even into their 30s!

I don't see the need to completely change the names though, like Rod G's Dream Girl to Oracle suggestion (Oracle belongs to someone else, to boot). Besides, if they wanted to update that one, I'd just call her Dreamer, like her ancestor on the Supergirl TV show.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 01-24-2021 at 08:59 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I think even his biggest fans, among which I am one, will readily admit it was a mistake. Nothing about that run was interesting -- including Mon-El as a Green Lantern.
    Hooking up Tasmia and Earth Man was worth getting rebooted over alone. I'm still grossed out by how she slept with that goddamn bigot.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    As I said elsewhere, I don't see why Power Girl can't be 50. Plenty of knockout female celebs at that age and it's a gap not covered. She was mentored by a Clark Kent who would be over 100 now back when he had a secret identity still.
    They're all eternally, nebulously young and I like her being just under Clark's age, who I factor around eternally 38.

I have a hard time thinking about Power Girl (or really most anyone not in the elder class) being older than Superman, Batman (obviously not counting Diana who is ancient), etc. She's pushing 30 in my mind.
    Last edited by Robanker; 01-24-2021 at 09:08 PM.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I know I'm almost certainly in monority on this, but I prefer the Legion when it disassociates itself from the Super-Mythos (be it boy, Girl or Man), when it manages to stand on it own. If they were to retry it again, unlike in the last attempts, I'd try to stay away from the House of El.

Peace
    I'm in that same minority, I like my Legion as it's own thing, probably because the Zero Hour era was my first exposure...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member

I think they should select about eight or ten Legionnaires to be based on Earth and have the book built around them. At the same time, the rest of the Legion members are scattered around the United Planets and guest star as events occur or villains attack in their sector. That way, readers can slowly learn who all the members are so that it's not overwhelming.

In other words, membership is still a Legion and we would see all the members here and there but the bulk of the book would be about the members stationed on Earth.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Hooking up Tasmia and Earth Man was worth getting rebooted over alone. I'm still grossed out by how she slept with that goddamn bigot.

They're all eternally, nebulously young and I like her being just under Clark's age, who I factor around eternally 38.

I have a hard time thinking about Power Girl (or really most anyone not in the elder class) being older than Superman, Batman (obviously not counting Diana who is ancient), etc. She's pushing 30 in my mind.
    Superman's got to be pushing 40 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, she's 25 in season 1, 30 now. In the comics she's only 16, so Kara definitely needs to be aged up. She originally debuted before the Teen Titans formed, her age should reflect that. If Dick is in his mid 20s, it makes sense that Kara should be as well. The only problem is that aging Kara Danvers up results in Power Girl Karen Starr losing one of the things that makes her stand out (Earth 2 Kara has always been older than the Earth 1/0 version).
    Just have Power Girl in her thirties.

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wave View Post
    What would you do with it?

Yes, I know. It currently exists. But people voted to revive it so perhaps they had a different incarnation in mind. Anyway, what would you do with a revival or how would you change the current title?
    if i was to ruin my pitch? lol. who knows. but in a general sense. If I was editor I'd order multiple concurrent mini series. each gets to focus on a different cohort. Can't constantly have 30 people in each storyline. The galaxy is big. right?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    Superman's got to be pushing 40 for me.
    I prefer a younger Superman in his mid to late 20s or early 30s at the oldest. To use Superman in a Legion book though, I'd probably put him in his early 20s instead, and make everyone else around the same age.

I kinda like the idea that everyone calls him Superman in his time, but Superboy in the future because that was what he went by when he started hanging out there with the Legion, and now they're just used to it, haha! But then again, maybe I wouldn't do that, and I'd just make Clark Superboy as an actual teenager.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

I feel their are 5 necessary members of any Legion team.

1. One Super character: People say they need to separate themselves from the Superman linage, but I don’t see anything in the history of the team that proves they are better off when they leave the Supers out. And having a character that people recognize can bring attention to a book that honestly, isn’t one of DC’s big sellers.

2. Saturn girl: I feel she is the well known Legionary. Next to Brainaic.

3. Brainiac 5: The Brains of the team and seems to be at the center of most of the really iconic stories in team history. He has a role that really isn’t filled by any other character.

4. Cosmic boy: same reason as Saturn Girl.

5. One of the Lightning/ light siblings. Again somewhat iconic.

All the other characters seem fun and enjoyable but not always necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I don't know why so many people hate their superhero names. It's not like Cosmic Boy, Saturn Girl, and Shadow Lass are any more ridiculous than a name like Green Lantern or Aquaman.
    Me neither. Hell if you want to riff on the innate silliness a little bit, just use the logic that what's "cool" in a name is drastically different in the far future.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Bendis made a mistake by rebooting the Legion yet again.
    The biggest mistake was using Jon as the inspiration. Second mistake was giving it its own title pretty much right away. Third mistake was expecting Jon as this incarnation's Superboy to carry it. Another example of DC putting all their weight behind a character that they stunningly overestimate as he's their new pet. I'd put the idea at rebooting it again behind those three factors. To me another reboot could have been more successful had they utilized the real Superman, and then had the team feature more in his storylines in his titles for a good while as supporting players. That said, I could have easily gone for not rebooting but just using a continuation of Clark's Legion like Johns did, using a general makeup of that original incarnation as its backbone. Either or.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-25-2021 at 02:40 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Me neither. Hell if you want to riff on the innate silliness a little bit, just use the logic that what's "cool" in a name is drastically different in the far future.

The biggest mistake was using Jon as the inspiration. Second mistake was giving it its own title pretty much right away. Third mistake was expecting Jon as this incarnation's Superboy to carry it. Another example of DC putting all their weight behind a character that they stunningly overestimate as he's their new pet. I'd put the idea at rebooting it again behind those three factors. To me another reboot could have been more successful had they utilized the real Superman, and then had the team feature more in his storylines in his titles for a good while as supporting players. That said, I could have easily gone for not rebooting but just using a continuation of Clark's Legion like Johns did, using a general makeup of that original incarnation as its backbone. Either or.
    No more reboots please. If what they wanted was teenager legionnaires, I would gone with a similar structure as the John's JSA: A Legion composed by new diverse faces and some old guard characters as teachers and mentors. They had an academy of Super-heroes for years and never expoloted the concept properly.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

So true. I'm guessing Levitz mostly ignored the Academy members because he didn't create most of them. They would have injected some fresh blood that the series could have used before he wrapped his 80s run. He did bring in Tellus and Quislet, but should have gone further.

Retired

I was not that unhappy with the Levitz third round on the Legion--but I still dropped it when the New 52 happened, because I dropped everything when the new 52 happened and stopped making that long trek to the comic shop every week.

Before Flashpoint, Levitz did start to do some stuff with the Legion Academy.

The problems I had with his third Legion were 1) he was hampered by making it fit with the Geoff Johns Legion 2) he did some dumb retcons to the origin and the tech and 3) a general lack of support from management in promoting the comic.

However, I felt it was a good enough run that it could have improved with time, had it not been for the New 52 getting in the way.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    No more reboots please. If what they wanted was teenager legionnaires, I would gone with a similar structure as the John's JSA: A Legion composed by new diverse faces and some old guard characters as teachers and mentors. They had an academy of Super-heroes for years and never exploited the concept properly.
    This scenario would work for me. It would even give you the opportunity to do another '5 Years Later' and introduce old & new faces to readers.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.