Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Apart from Young Justice did Zatanna and Nightwing date.

Here’s a pic I found. I don’t which comic it is. It looks like Zatanna was joking or were they really dating?

Sorry if the pic is not clear enough. Here is the Imgur link: https://i.imgur.com/M8LGSOT.png
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lupin29; 02-03-2021 at 05:39 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

It's a joke. They haven't dated outside that show.

No they never dated in the comics. But the do have the most in common with each other than any other heros.

Yeah, Dick/Zee was only particular to YJ and it's tie in comics.

The panel you posted is from JLA 'Obsidian Age' which I've seen people post out of context before on places like reddit to promote their ship. Anyway, the storyline in Obsidian Age was about the original League gone missing and the Nightwing leading substitute league which included Zee, GA, Etrigan, Faith and bunch of other heroes. There was no romance between them. She saves him that one time, she makes a joke and that was about it.

I don't think it occurred anyone besides Weisman to pair those two characters. It's an interesting pairing but I think Dick has enough love interests in his orbit and Zatanna needs more stories that don't revolve around a love interest or her missing/dead/unavailable father.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

The main continuity has some nonsense that Zatanna has some crush on Bruce ever since he trained under her dad but I really think that just ages her up a lot.
    "Cable was right!"

I don't mind her getting aged up. Especially since every heroine including Wonder Woman gets aged down to 18-25 bracket while Superman/Batman are almost always in the 28-35 age bracket.

Yeah, Zatanna SHOULD be aged up, she's JL generation, not Titans generation. Logically, Zatanna should be at least in her mid 30s. If Wonder Woman looks like she's in her 20s, that makes sense, as she's immortal and doesn't age (seriously, if Diana and Donna went out in civilian clothing, they should look like peers even though Donna is younger, legitimately being in her 20s). But Zatanna should age like a normal person.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I'm pretty sure in the comics, at least for a while now she's been written to be around the same age as Bruce, so I don't see that happening.

This actually reminds me the Brave and the Bold cartoon teased the idea of Talia becoming Dick's "Catwoman" which was like lol
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    No they never dated in the comics. But the do have the most in common with each other than any other heros.
    Like what besides a performer background?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    The main continuity has some nonsense that Zatanna has some crush on Bruce ever since he trained under her dad but I really think that just ages her up a lot.
    What about Constantine?

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Like what besides a performer background?
    Well there both from a family of performers, have Romanian ancestry, lost both their parents, both are superheros, he's dc first Male legacy and she's dc first female legacy, both have huge sex appeal, their personality are very similar, both are easygoing fun loving flamboyant showman/women with some anger and darkness in them, hell both have fathers named John lol.

Regardless of dick I prefer zatanna to be younger in her 20s because I believe she's more marketable as a 20s something show woman and Bruce is like early 40s right.
    Last edited by WonderNight; 02-04-2021 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, Zatanna SHOULD be aged up, she's JL generation, not Titans generation. Logically, Zatanna should be at least in her mid 30s. If Wonder Woman looks like she's in her 20s, that makes sense, as she's immortal and doesn't age (seriously, if Diana and Donna went out in civilian clothing, they should look like peers even though Donna is younger, legitimately being in her 20s). But Zatanna should age like a normal person.
    Wasn't John Zatara's history with the JSA/All Star Squadron still canon up until Nu 52?

I don't think they ever directly addressed this but in the Madam Xanadu series he was shown active in the 1940's. No mention of him potions or anything to maintain his youth like Xanadu was. It could just be that he was long lived just like his fellow sorcerers but not immortal.

And yeah, to put into context; Zatanna debuted not longer after Hal and Ray did as part of DC's Silver Age revivals. She was 18 when her father disappeared, so she was 18+ when we first see her in Hawkman and most of her appearances afterwards was in the JLA title.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I'm pretty sure in the comics, at least for a while now she's been written to be around the same age as Bruce, so I don't see that happening.

This actually reminds me the Brave and the Bold cartoon teased the idea of Talia becoming Dick's "Catwoman" which was like lol
    Don't forget Selina flirting with Dick in TNBA and later that one issue of Nightwing. Or Bruce/Babs in the DCAU. Or Jason hooking up with Kory, Talia and later Babs. Or Tim/Babs in the Arkham Games. The Bat Boys need to sit down and hash out a bro code on who gets to get with whom.

I think the only reason Dick/Zee hasn't happened in comics is because nobody has pitched it to DC yet. The Bruce/Zee in the comics only got canonized because Paul Dini was writing 'Tec at the time. Thankfully, he only used it as a launch pad for a Zatanna ongoing which was 100% Bat free.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    Well there both from a family of performers, have Romanian ancestry, lost both their parents, both are superheros, he's dc first Male legacy and she's dc first female legacy, both have huge sex appeal, their personality are very similar, both are easygoing fun loving flamboyant showman/women with some anger and darkness in them, hell both have fathers named John lol.

Regardless of dick I prefer zatanna to be younger in her 20s because I believe she's more marketable as a 20s something show woman and Bruce is like early 40s right.
    I understand the performer angle and while it's not a bad pairing in of itself, I can only see it benefitting Dick Grayson up until the next writer decides to pair him up with someone else. Then poor Zee be off to limbo or guest star land again.

I would rather see Zatanna being built up as a solo character again with her own supporting characters, city and mythology.

Dick doesn't discriminate against older women, but no, they've never dated in the comics
    The J-man

I don't care about this ship, but Zatanna being older than him is not an issue. He may be at 25 to 28 years old, is not like he is a minor.

Barbara is also older than him by a couple of years.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Not saying age difference is the issue. Just stating that she was never his age and dated him until the show.