Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    How about these?

I meant out of costume.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I meant out of costume.
    Oh. Well, I remember Walt Simonson drawing human Beast enough. At least in civvies anyway, from time to time.

Oh. Well, I remember Walt Simonson drawing human Beast enough. At least in civvies anyway, from time to time.
    I remember Marc Silvestri drawing Henry doing some cooking, while wearing nothing but an apron & a chef's hat

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    I remember Marc Silvestri drawing Henry doing some cooking, while wearing nothing but an apron & a chef's hat

That's a rather uh, stunning example. And perhaps slightly scandalous. >> <<

Just because I like them.

Joe Mad Hank.

Great cover art but I don't know the artist... perhaps someone here does.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Let's be honest Beast under Percy is like one step away from Dark Beast. It's the classic intellect versus empathy angle. I think we're Percy messed up was pulling the trigger on that storyline a little bit too soon I would have preferred a much slower decline of Hank's morals/sense of empathy.
    I kinda wish it would come out later that the last time Dark Beast died, some sort of bio-engineered organ full of 'one-use telepathic cells' or some such nonsense that he'd grown within himself attempted to download his current memories and personality into a clone somewhere, allowing him to cheat death, only the real Hank partially intercepted the signal and got 'infected' with the Dark Beast personality-download, explaining his last few years worth of sketchy choices.

Just because I like them.

Joe Mad Hank.

Great cover art but I don't know the artist... perhaps someone here does.

Pretty sure that’s Andy Kubert before he was told to emulate Jim Lee’s style.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    I know, right?! I liked when his artwork instead emulated his dad's art-style

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post

I know, right?! I liked when his artwork instead emulated his dad's art-style

Shiii your right! I forgot. That definitely looks like Joe Kubert inspired. The thing is so was Adams but if I may be so bold this (Adams work) is in reverse for me as I think his later work around the 2000's is his best - or it is at least my favorite version.

loved X-Factor Beast from the 80s also early 90s Beast.....
    Avengers Beast was cool his relationship with wonderman was fun but I feel he served as the team jester and he was treated as kind of a joke perhaps a way for avengers editorial take a shot at the X-characters they constantly harped on his lower power level and how the avengers were on another level then his previous team which narratively makes sense but then you look at characters like wasp and hawkeye and its like really? there was undercurrent of some shady stuff imo.....its funny though because it got to a point when X sales were blowing Avengers sales (which were solid) out the water.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by cam18 View Post
    loved X-Factor Beast from the 80s also early 90s Beast.....
    Avengers Beast was cool his relationship with Wonder Man was fun but I feel he served as the team jester and he was treated as kind of a joke perhaps a way for avengers editorial take a shot at the X-characters they constantly harped on his lower power level and how the avengers were on another level then his previous team which narratively makes sense but then you look at characters like wasp and hawkeye and its like really? there was undercurrent of some shady stuff imo.....its funny though because it got to a point when X sales were blowing Avengers sales (which were solid) out the water.
    The only time I remember in the Avengers Beast's strength being explicitly mentioned in relation to a teammate was when Cap was lifting some 750 lb wt in the training room, all sweaty and exerting himself to nearly his utmost while Beast was 'spotting' him, and after the session Beast just casually lifts the barbell with one hand and carries it away to the rack, and Cap just sort of gives him a look while toweling off like, 'Rub it in...'

Beast was definitely *not* the one being lowballed, that I recall, and I have no idea where this 'Avengers taking a shot at X-characters' notion comes from, since they were often handled by the same creatives (like Byrne, who worked on both at various times). Considering how Rogue almost singlehandedly tanked half the team at one point during that era, leaving one Avenger (Carol) changed for decades, it seems almost the opposite!

At various times Cap, Hawkeye (facing off with USAgent) or even Tigra (whose 5 ton lift was utterly forgotten in her various appearances, where she was manhandled by male villains many times weaker than her) were, but not, as I recall, Beast.

Beast did certainly serve as the 'team jester,' but I don't think that was a bad thing. It was a breath of fresh air to have someone on the team who wasn't up to sketchy crap (like Armor Wars-era Stark), or a bit pretentious at times (like Thor), or overly serious (like Pym or Cap). He was the only Avenger, at the time, who genuinely seemed to *enjoy* being a superhero, which was really great for a bunch of non-superpowered teenagers reading that comic and wishing *they* could be superheroes! (Since the rest seemed to regard it more as a job or a calling or a responsibility, which seemed terribly adult and much less fun.) It was also nice to see his scientist side occasionally referenced, such as when he created the flight jets for Simon, which, given that he was on a team with Stark at various times, would have been too easy for the writer to just overlook Beast entirely and have Stark suck up all the 'team smart guy' oxygen in the room (as the MCU tends to).

In agreement with Sutekh. That was a great scene from Avengers #170 (April, 1978):

Last edited by K7P5V; 05-16-2021 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Ultimate Member

[center]In agreement with Sutekh. That was a great scene from Avengers #170 (April, 1978):
    Ha. That scene is not exactly how I remember it (ahem, 42 freaking years later...), but still funny. I love how Hank just sort of casually does that, and deliberately holds the barbell way over his head one-handed while walking away. "Oh, was that heavy for you? My bad."

I think at the time of the "Barbell Incident", lol, Beast could probably lift 5 tons.

That does not seem bad, except back in the original X-Man run, Beast would have to have been much weaker. At that time, I thought Beast could lift 5 tons, but now they say it was about 1 ton in Human form. I do not know how Beast accomplished all the feats he did at that level. He went up against Frankenstein Monster, Grotesk, Thing, Hulk and Sentinels.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Spectacular Member

I always thought human form Beast was peak human strength but not more than that...I liked when Inertia messed with him and he got strong enough to take Frenzy on but just like with Iceman's power-up from Loki and Archangel's wings having a paralysing neurotoxin and being immune to Jean's telekinesis, everyone forgot about that by the time he rejoined the X-Men again