Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Is Cable an actual soldier?

I’ve always read people calling Cable or even in X-Sanction, him calling himself a “soldier”, but I’ve never seen anything in the comics that refer to Cable actually being one ie serving in any military. He seems more like a post apocalyptic wonderer / merc more than an actual military serviceman.

Yes. Not only was he a soldier in the future, but also in the past doing work for the U.S. military as a contractor/mercenary.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcnewb View Post
    I’ve always read people calling Cable or even in X-Sanction, him calling himself a “soldier”, but I’ve never seen anything in the comics that refer to Cable actually being one ie serving in any military. He seems more like a post apocalyptic wonderer / merc more than an actual military serviceman.
    Unless he joined an actual Govt. sanctioned Military he’s not actually a Soldier.
    The above post cites him being a contractor/mercenary and those are different things. In the future I’d say he was a freedom fighter, in the same way Kyle Reese was in The Terminator.
    And he’s certainly a warrior. Which is again, a different thing.

Unless, like I said, he was in an actual Military of an actual Govt.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Unless he joined an actual Govt. sanctioned Military he’s not actually a Soldier.
    The above post cites him being a contractor/mercenary and those are different things. In the future I’d say he was a freedom fighter, in the same way Kyle Reese was in The Terminator.
    And he’s certainly a warrior. Which is again, a different thing.

Unless, like I said, he was in an actual Military of an actual Govt.
    Soldiers aren't only part of state-sanctioned armed forces, the word soldier comes from the old french word for mercenary. One of the classic nicknames for mercenaries is "soldiers of fortune"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by maxi_miceli View Post
    Soldiers aren't only part of state-sanctioned armed forces, the word soldier comes from the old french word for mercenary. One of the classic nicknames for mercenaries is "soldiers of fortune"
    Yeah I don't know why we're trying to make such a hard distinction between what does and doesn't make one a soldier.

Either way Cable fits the bill.

OG Cable i would definitely call a soldier...the one we currently got though? Not in any sense of the word.

Astonishing Member

In the 1st New Warriors series, it was reveled that Cable served in the Vietnam War.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Yeah I don't know why we're trying to make such a hard distinction between what does and doesn't make one a soldier.

Either way Cable fits the bill.

I don’t mind you guys disagreeing w. me.
    I know what Soldiers (and mercs and contractors) actually are, and offered my opinion based on knowing those definitions. It’s not a big deal in any case. Cable’s still pretty badass.
    So, done here, as I’ll have nothing further to add.

Cable was part of an organized fighting force in War in the future against Apocalypse by definition that makes him a soldier. Freedom Fighters/Organized Resistance are Soldiers. And since we are being super technical

Soldier
    A soldier is one who fights as part of a military
    Military
    A military, also known collectively as armed forces, is a heavily armed, highly organized force primarily intended for warfare
    If you need more explanation a Soldier original meaning basically is the profession of fighting/combat. This also means a Mercenary is a "type of Soldier"

Mercenary
    professional soldier hired to serve in a foreign army.
    The OP question is asking if Cable fought in a typical traditional army back by a formal government. The answer is No as far I understand there was no government/country left-back to have a traditional army. The groups who were left back though form up a Resistance "Army" and fought against Apocalypse forces.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-23-2021 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    In the 1st New Warriors series, it was reveled that Cable served in the Vietnam War.
    Forgot about that. I’ll need to go back and read that now. Thanks.

Spectacular Member

Are you sure?. Can’t find anything online that says that he did that.

Except for things related to the Shoa (and just because it is such an integral part of Magneto's backstory and they justify it by having been de-aged artificially) most of those references are mostly not treated as canon by now, it is necessary to maintain the Floating timeline that allows characters like Ben Grimm who was presented as a ww2 veteran to not be 90 years old. Xavier being a Korean war vet is another example of that
    Apart from that, I don't see any Vietnam reference in his wiki article, do you have the issue where that is said (plus it doesn't really make sense for him to have done that, it could be related to originally having a different backstory)

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I don’t mind you guys disagreeing w. me.
    I know what Soldiers (and mercs and contractors) actually are, and offered my opinion based on knowing those definitions. It’s not a big deal in any case. Cable’s still pretty badass.
    So, done here, as I’ll have nothing further to add.
    Not to come as aggressive but since every definition disagrees with you, you don't "know what Soldiers actually are" private militaries aren't respected by state military soldiers (rightfully IMO) but that doesn't make them not soldiers

Spectacular Member

Except for things related to the Shoa (and just because it is such an integral part of Magneto's backstory and they justify it by having been de-aged artificially) most of those references are mostly not treated as canon by now, it is necessary to maintain the Floating timeline that allows characters like Ben Grimm who was presented as a ww2 veteran to not be 90 years old. Xavier being a Korean war vet is another example of that
    Apart from that, I don't see any Vietnam reference in his wiki article, do you have the issue where that is said (plus it doesn't really make sense for him to have done that, it could be related to originally having a different backstory)
    They might be referring to the New Warriors Annual 1991 where Cable says that he recognises a character named Cord from his “stint in North Africa” in 73. Which I think can be open for interpretation as a stint doesn’t necessarily mean that he served in any military.
    Last edited by Dcnewb; 01-23-2021 at 08:06 PM.

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    OG Cable i would definitely call a soldier...the one we currently got though? Not in any sense of the word.
    Kid Cable comes off as an entitled brat.
    My flag is bacon.