Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charm View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, what is the point of this thread ? You have set a narrow definition of 'soldier', Cable (apparently) hasn't matched up to your definition, but does appear to meet most others' definition - what more are you wanting / expecting ?
    And a definition that is so narrow it wouldn't fit most armies in history- Caesar's men fighting in Gaul were considered soldiers? And how about when he turned them to Rome? Were they still soldiers until they crossed the Rubicon but then not? And when Caesar took power forcibly, are they soldiers again? Or not, until they won the war? Or perhaps not even then...

Those weird questions designed to get a specific response annoy me.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charm View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, what is the point of this thread ? You have set a narrow definition of 'soldier', Cable (apparently) hasn't matched up to your definition, but does appear to meet most others' definition - what more are you wanting / expecting ?
    Read the OP. Not just the title of the thread, that’s what I’m asking.
    Was Cable an actual enlisted, ranked, serviceman in an officially recognised military branch?

I don’t know how much more clearer this can be, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcnewb View Post
    Was Cable an actual enlisted, ranked, serviceman in an officially recognised military branch?

I looked into this more

Nation: Clan Askani
    Organization :Order of Askani
    Rank: It was full formed organization with an military, They had ranks

Clan Askani fought Neo-Canaanites in War. Here is quote from wiki

Nathan returned to the future and, after decades of battle, the Clan Chosen signed a long-lasting peace treaty with the New Canaanites, but Nathan, upset by rumors that Apocalypse had survived, convinced the Clan's Askani Council that they needed to fight again, after the council made him prove himself against the Protectorate Council Guards in an arena
    The two sides signed a peace treaty which only happens they are two functional nations. Askani had council and Protectorate Council Guards which shows rank structure. This wasn't a rag tag resistance it was full form government.

wait there is more

Cable came to the country right after Domino assassinated Flag Smasher. Cable, who had been the secret leader of the Rumekistan Resistance, was acclaimed as President Pro Tem of the entire country
    Cable took over military present day in country a lead rebellion against other faction.

Nation: Rumekistan
    Organization : Rumekistan Army

Your pick by whatever definition Cable is an "Soldier" the military kind.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-31-2021 at 11:27 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I looked into this more

The two sides signed a peace treaty which only happens they are two functional nations. Askani had council and Protectorate Council Guards which shows rank structure. This wasn't a rag tag resistance it was full form government.

wait there is more

Cable took over military present day in country a lead rebellion against other faction.

Ok sweet. Which issues are these from?

Also, resistance army by definition exists to oppose a form of governance that is backed by a higher official power. To use a real world example: you wouldn’t categorise the Palestinian resistance groups in the same group as the IDF. They’re rebel fighters. This is the vibe I’m getting in this scenario as well

So despite Askani signing peace treaties or having “proctorial guards” it still doesn’t mean they were recognised in the same category as an offical militia of an officially recognised country and government.

Also the first thing it says about the Askani tribe in the Marvel wiki database is:

The Askani are a religious group of rebel fighters, with some time-travelers returning to the modern era, in the late 37th century, dedicated to upholding the X-Men's beliefs and battling Apocalypse.
    Last edited by Dcnewb; 02-01-2021 at 12:05 AM.

I mean already knew what the issue is and on that note I am bowing out of this the key elements of "solider" is "fighting in a war" and "organized force aka army". Once you have those two things a person is general called a soldier.

Now I have tried to explain why certain things are "military" while not completely fitting "your definition". You either think militia and resistance are "military" or you don't think they are "military". But all these things are "armies" with different levels organization. It doesn't matter in the grand scheme literally difference between resistance soldier and normal soldier is if bigger army is bullying you. If the US decides to put it full military might and take over Cuba before they start to bomb Cuba has "military force", After US bombs they would have a "resistance" that is literally difference between the two things is a superior force is stopping you from doing things completely "normal" way.

PS- Star Wars is a story of rebellion, It was Empire versus Rebel Alliance. Rebels and Resistance are "Military".
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 02-01-2021 at 12:37 AM.

Spectacular Member

I mean already knew what the issue is and on that note I am bowing out of this the key elements of "solider" is "fighting in a war" and "organized force aka army". Once you have those two things a person is general called a soldier.

Now I have tried to explain why certain things are "military" while not completely fitting "your definition". You either think militia and resistance are "military" or you don't think they are "military". But all these things are "armies" with different levels organization. It doesn't matter in the grand scheme literally difference between resistance soldier and normal soldier is if bigger army is bullying you. If the US decides to put it full military might and take over Cuba before they start to bomb Cuba has "military force", After US bombs they would have a "resistance" that is literally difference between the two things is a superior force is stopping you from doing things completely "normal" way.

PS- Star Wars is a story of rebellion, It was Empire versus Rebel Alliance. Rebels and Resistance are "Military".
    I guess it just depends on one’s definition.
    So we can agree that Cable is a “soldier” of sorts, but not by today’s real world definition ie US military. He’s more of a freedom fighter

I know it is an arbitrary question but it’s iis sobs thing that’s been on my mind for a while now

last time again

The word comes from the Latin solidus, which is the name of the gold coin used to pay soldiers who fought in the Roman army

Soldier

-a person who serves in an army.
    -A member of an army.
    -a skilled warrior
    -In a war, soldiers are the people who do the fighting, on the ground, in planes, or from boats

Army

an organized military force equipped for fighting on land.

anyways

One man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter. One man’s fighter is another man’s soldier

Spectacular Member

last time again

The word comes from the Latin solidus, which is the name of the gold coin used to pay soldiers who fought in the Roman army

Soldier

-a person who serves in an army.
    -A member of an army.
    -a skilled warrior
    -In a war, soldiers are the people who do the fighting, on the ground, in planes, or from boats

Army

an organized military force equipped for fighting on land.

anyways
    Okay but then you get into semantics in to what an army constitutes as?

But regardless. I think we have exhausted this topic
    Last edited by Dcnewb; 02-01-2021 at 01:39 AM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dcnewb View Post

Yeah, well - I did read it all...and agree with the majority, which does not appear to match your definition but heyhoe.

Over & out. LOL

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Applying real life logic to a comic books.
    Again.

Unbelievable.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

I looked into this more

wait there is more

So Cable became a dictator after he threw a successful coup?

That is correct.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
    Cable and GW Bridge were both part of a group of six nicknamed the Sixpack. Mercenaries? Not sure who else belonged
    The Six pack were Cable, Kane(The 2nd Weapon X), Hammer, Grizzly, GW Bridge, and Domino.

I weirdly remember that stuff from the first Cable mini.

I’d love a mini that delves into all the dark $#!t the Six Pack got up to, similar to some of the revelations about Team X that we’ve seen over the years (and more recently in Percy’s Wolverine). Unlike Logan, though, Cable doesn’t have the excuse of having been mind-wiped and controlled. Instead, everything Nathan did was done purposefully and willfully, and for him was all about the bigger picture (“the end justifies the means”). Bring back Mike Carey and give him a badass artist for it and it would be great!

That aspect of Cable always interested me the most. It was literally the only thing about Kid Cable in Extermination that I liked. But now he’s reverted to being just another young, inexperienced teenage mutant like so many others who, quite frankly, could fill that role.