Default When did Lois learn Clark was Superman

I am reading some 1956 Action Comics. And I saw the whole Lois following Clark around because she thinks he is Superman.

but when did she learn for a fact that he was Superman. And by that I mean when did she learn and kept the knowledge. Like not a what if or Superman erases her memory and such.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

There were a couple stories in the Silver Age and Bronze Age, both imaginary and in canon, where Lois found out or was told that Clark Kent was Superman but they were either 'imaginary' stories, aka What if stories, or Lois forgot about it afterwards. The issue where Clark told Lois that he was Superman was in Action Comics #662. Clark and Lois had been dating for a while and they were now engaged. So after a battle with the Silver Banshee, Clark takes Lois back to his apartment and does the iconic shirt rip to reveal to her that he was Superman. From that issue onwards, Lois was now permanently aware that Clark was Superman, with the exception of the New 52.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    There were a couple stories in the Silver Age and Bronze Age, both imaginary and in canon, where Lois found out or was told that Clark Kent was Superman but they were either 'imaginary' stories, aka What if stories, or Lois forgot about it afterwards. The issue where Clark told Lois that he was Superman was in Action Comics #662. Clark and Lois had been dating for a while and they were now engaged. So after a battle with the Silver Banshee, Clark takes Lois back to his apartment and does the iconic shirt rip to reveal to her that he was Superman. From that issue onwards, Lois was now permanently aware that Clark was Superman, with the exception of the New 52.
    Thanks I a, going to read that.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member

The early 1950s was the boundary between the Golden Age and the Silver Age. The Golden Age characters then became Earth-2 characters (well, more or less) from the 1960s forward. The Earth-2 Superman and Lois got married in Action Comics #484 in June 1978 (although the story is a flashback, so the actual wedding was years earlier). That's when the Earth-2 Lois (i.e., the "original" Lois) learned Clark's identity. (She married him in one ceremony as Clark Kent and in a private ceremony as Kal-L.) The Earth-2 Superman and Lois stayed married until she died in Infinite Crisis in 2005.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Post-Crises, Action Comics #662.

It's the cliffhanger on the last page and next issue they explore it more. It sticks.

EDIT: Lvenger beat me to it. Well-done, you mad lad.
    Last edited by Robanker; 01-23-2021 at 05:11 PM.

Astonishing Member

Action Comics #484, wherein the Earth-2 Lois Lane learns that the Earth-2 Clark Kent is Superman, and they get married (although maybe not in the order that you would think!).

Astonishing Member

There was a line in a Pre-Crisis story where Jonathan Kent came back from the grave and revealed the Superman was Clark to Lois in order to get his son to move forward in that relationship. Lois replied that she might have already known the truth and had just decided that there was nothing to be gained by forcing Clark to admit it anymore. The events of the story were, of course, undone by the end. But, it at least leaves the door open that the Bronze Age Lois knew and was just waiting for Superman to decide to drop the act.
    Last edited by Jon Clark; 01-24-2021 at 02:13 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    There was a line in a Pre-Crisis story where Jonathan Kent came back from the grave and revealed the Superman was Clark to Lois in order to get his son to move forward in that relationship. Lois replied that she might have already known the truth and had just decided that there was nothing to be gained by forcing Clark to admit it anymore. The events of the story were, of course, undone by the end. But, it at least leaves the door open that the Bronze Age Lois knew and was just waiting for Superman to decide to drop the act.
    Now that you mention that, we never do see Lois react to the reveal in Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, do we? It's only Lana.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Post-Crises, Action Comics #662.

It's the cliffhanger on the last page and next issue they explore it more. It sticks.

EDIT: Lvenger beat me to it. Well-done, you mad lad.
    Hey you were able to post the cover to the issue so nice job there. I can never figure out the right sized images to fit into my posts.

Retired

Lois was supposed to learn Clark Kent was Superman in the unpublished "K-Metal from Krypton" story, from 1940.

Lois and Clark got married in the Superman comic strip in 1949. Alvin Schwartz happily kept them married in the strip until National Comics decided to sweep the whole affair under the rug. Brian Cronin covered that continuity in a Comic Book Resources article from April 20, 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    The early 1950s was the boundary between the Golden Age and the Silver Age. The Golden Age characters then became Earth-2 characters (well, more or less) from the 1960s forward. The Earth-2 Superman and Lois got married in Action Comics #484 in June 1978 (although the story is a flashback, so the actual wedding was years earlier). That's when the Earth-2 Lois (i.e., the "original" Lois) learned Clark's identity. (She married him in one ceremony as Clark Kent and in a private ceremony as Kal-L.) The Earth-2 Superman and Lois stayed married until she died in Infinite Crisis in 2005.
    Yeah, the switchover gradually happened starting with Showcase #4, which was Barry Allen's debut. With Flash replaced, Green Lantern soon followed. Superman changed over to the silver age Earth-1 some time prior to the debut of Supergirl. I'm not sure how Batman and Wonder Woman handled it. Aquaman didn't have his own book until the 60s, so I assume his golden age adventures finished in one title and then the silver age version launched elsewhere. Ditto for Green Arrow.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Action Comics #484, wherein the Earth-2 Lois Lane learns that the Earth-2 Clark Kent is Superman, and they get married (although maybe not in the order that you would think!).

One of the jewels of my collection, if only for that decadently gorgeous cover. JLGL is a treasure and Giordano was a helluvan inker.