Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default NHL21 - The Flavour & The Crunch

I was not able to find a thread discussing the 2021 NHL season, so I thought I would create one.

Might as well be today, since there have been many games and one of the biggest trades in recent memory just occurred. To start, the trade discussion...

The Columbus Blue Jackets trade Pierre-Luc Dubois and a 3rd rounder, for Patrik Laine and Jack Roslovic! Right off the bat, I don't like this trade for either team. Patrik Laine has made his complaints about not playing on the top line very, very clear. Biggest possible reason for this complaint was probably not being able to play with a really good centre. So with him being traded to Columbus, but PLD going the other way, who will his centre be? Max Domi? Someone else? I have no idea.

I fully believe that Patrik Laine can make plays himself. I honestly don't think he needs an elite centre to play with. He's got all the tools to become a 40-50 goal scorer on his own. He's got size, speed, great hands and a lethal shot. I just don't see all those gifts being utilized fully in Columbus. The Jackets favour a more concerted team effort and I don't see a lot of Laine's flashy moves really working in that style of gameplay. Not only that, I can only imagine what Tortorella's opinions of Laine be, if he had as many issues with talented players (maybe not star-calibre) like Anthony Duclair and Sonny Milano.

I have a feeling that Roslovic will flourish, though. He finally gets to be counted upon and I think he has a lot more to offer than what he has shown thus far with the Jets, in very limited play time.

Going the other way is Pierre-Luc Dubois. There is absolutely no denying that PLD is a really good player, but I thought his whole reasoning for wanting to be traded was to play on a bigger stage? I fully believe that Winnipeg will have a hungrier hockey market than Columbus. This is no poor reflection on Columbus as a market, but I think other sports will always win out in favour of the Jackets. With Winnipeg, there really is hockey that's the major one. Winnipeg fans love their CFL, but the Jets are much bigger. Is that enough for PLD, though? Will he get to do everything that he wants to in Winnipeg?

I just don't like this trade. I don't see the upside for either PLD or Laine, with their new teams.

Moving on...what is everyone's feelings about this season, so far?

I am loving it. I love hockey and I cannot get enough of it. With the concentrated schedule, I am getting a game to watch every night. My Oilers have offered up some stinkers so far, but there's more than enough entertaining games to whet a fan's appetite.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

WOW! Do my Edmonton Oilers SUCK!!! We got the two best players in our line-up and every other member of the team appears to have been given their complimentary lobotomy upon arriving at the airport. The lack of effort put in by everyone not named Connor McDavid or Leon Draisaitl is brutally disappointing (I exclude Kailer Yamamoto, since this is the young man's second year).

I am patiently waiting on the draft to see if I should have Las Vegas hopes for the Kraken.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

My Flyers are 5-2-1 in the early going, but the defense has been spotty and they're outshot way too much in games. Not good at all.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    My Flyers are 5-2-1 in the early going, but the defense has been spotty and they're outshot way too much in games. Not good at all.
    You're right.

I'm not happy at all with their defense.

Quote Originally Posted by mikedesil View Post
    You're right.

I'm not happy at all with their defense.
    What do you two think of the Konecny healthy scratch?

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I am patiently waiting on the draft to see if I should have Las Vegas hopes for the Kraken.
    Lots of talent will be available, I think...some at really good salary, too.

Also...i just had to:

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Sounds like a case of Vigneault sending a message that players have to be on top of their game, or they will be sat down, even the team's leading scorer. I guess he saw something in Konecny's play that he didn't like.

Meanwhile, the Flyers completed back to back overtime wins over the Islanders with a 4-3 win last night, aided by a Joel Farabee hat trick.

It's definitely sending a message to the whole team that's for sure.

I think it's a little harsh though. Maybe there's more to it.
    Last edited by cable guy; 02-04-2021 at 01:53 PM.

Sounds like a case of Vigneault sending a message that players have to be on top of their game, or they will be sat down, even the team's leading scorer. I guess he saw something in Konecny's play that he didn't like.

Meanwhile, the Flyers completed back to back overtime wins over the Islanders with a 4-3 win last night, aided by a Joel Farabee hat trick.
    Last nights loss against the Bruins was brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by mikedesil View Post
    Last nights loss against the Bruins was brutal.
    I know. I watched that game and was furious with what happened. I think the Flyers have yet to beat Boston in three tries this season. Annoying.

I know. I watched that game and was furious with what happened. I think the Flyers have yet to beat Boston in three tries this season. Annoying.
    Elliott cannot give up that goal. He played pretty well, with the exception of that one goal.

Anyone else have anything to say about blackouts? I live close enough to Toronto, so I get every Leafs game. As an Oilers fan, it is very frustrating to get a televised Oilers game. Unless they are playing the Leafs or the Leafs aren't on TV, chances are I won't get to watch that many Oilers game on TV.

I prefer TV, as I find streams to be kind of questionable, even though streaming is pretty good in major cities. During this pandemic, I figure the NHL would want to grow the game by eliminating blackouts, but WOW! Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Elliott cannot give up that goal. He played pretty well, with the exception of that one goal.

Anyone else have anything to say about blackouts? I live close enough to Toronto, so I get every Leafs game. As an Oilers fan, it is very frustrating to get a televised Oilers game. Unless they are playing the Leafs or the Leafs aren't on TV, chances are I won't get to watch that many Oilers game on TV.

I prefer TV, as I find streams to be kind of questionable, even though streaming is pretty good in major cities. During this pandemic, I figure the NHL would want to grow the game by eliminating blackouts, but WOW! Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.
    I see no legitimate reason for blackouts which is an anachronism today, what with sports packages on cable and live streaming options galore. It just doesn't make any sense, especially during a pandemic when people can't go out and need television for entertainment.

Meanwhile, my Flyers face off with Washington for the first time this season today. Should be interesting.

I see no legitimate reason for blackouts which is an anachronism today, what with sports packages on cable and live streaming options galore. It just doesn't make any sense, especially during a pandemic when people can't go out and need television for entertainment.

Meanwhile, my Flyers face off with Washington for the first time this season today. Should be interesting.
    Despite the best efforts of my Ovi, Caps lost 7-4. Ovechkin basically did everything but win this game. 35 years old and he's moving around defencemen like they are pylons.

Despite the best efforts of my Ovi, Caps lost 7-4. Ovechkin basically did everything but win this game. 35 years old and he's moving around defencemen like they are pylons.
    Yeah, looks like defensemen from BOTH teams decided to stay at the hotel yesterday. Meanwhile, kudos to Scott Laughton for notching the hat trick.