Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Prior to his injury, there were a lot of chatter about Auston Matthews being a serious candidate for the Hart this season. As an Oilers fan, I will always contest the Oilers are nothing without McDavid or Draisaitl...in a lot of cases, both.

However, it seems pretty obvious so far this season that if anyone is driving the bus for their team this season, it's Patrick Kane.

Thoughts?
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Prior to his injury, there were a lot of chatter about Auston Matthews being a serious candidate for the Hart this season. As an Oilers fan, I will always contest the Oilers are nothing without McDavid or Draisaitl...in a lot of cases, both.

However, it seems pretty obvious so far this season that if anyone is driving the bus for their team this season, it's Patrick Kane.

Thoughts?
    Kane seems to a solid choice. But, I wouldn't leave out Ovechkin.

Meanwhile, the Flyers had fans in their home building for the first time in nearly a year. While it was only 3,000, it was a welcome sight (viewed on TV) compared to empty stands. Unfortunately, the Flyers didn't give those fans anything to cheer about, losing to the Caps 3-1.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Tortorella's gotta go. I can appreciate the fact that Columbus is having a tough time keeping their star players, but the kind of "tactics" Tortorella has pulled so far are just perplexing. If he was getting great results and the Blue Jackets were making everyone eat their words, I'd think ok, he knows what he's doing.

I just don't get it. Patrik Laine gets benched again and doesn't play in OT. Now, I can understand if Laine made a boneheaded decision for the Blue Jackets to give up a goal that led to the loss, but Columbus lost a 4-1 lead and lost the game eventually in OT...all the while Laine was on the bench.

New York Islanders and Carolina Hurricanes making the most of the pandemic NHL season, having won 9 and 8 games respectively. I find Carolina Hurricanes to be a fascinating team. The last 5-7 years, they have been slowly and surely making themselves into a contender. They've never had the best players in the NHL, but they compete hard.

Maybe it's time to recognize Rod Brind'Amour as a Jack Adams candidate.

My Flyers have been stinking on wheat of late. Another loss to the Caps Saturday night dropped them out of the top four positions for the playoffs. Between Washington and Boston, Philly has had nothing but trouble with those teams all season long. Frustrating!

When your team gets 8 goals and your star player only registers 1 point, that is a sign of a team with depth. Colorado put up 8 goals against Anaheim and MacKinnon only had one goal to show for it.

Meanwhile, my Oilers are getting like 60% of their offence from McDavid and Draisaitl. UGH!

My Flyers **** the bed while screwing the pooch last night in a hideous 9-0 loss to the Rangers last night. That dumpster fire defeat was lowlighted by a seven goal, that's SEVEN GOAL second period featuring a natural hat trick by Mika Zibanejad who tied an NHL record with six points in that period, on top of that, he scored at even strength, on the power play AND short handed. That was a disaster on steroids as Philly just plain didn't show up, PERIOD!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    My Flyers **** the bed while screwing the pooch last night in a hideous 9-0 loss to the Rangers last night. That dumpster fire defeat was lowlighted by a seven goal, that's SEVEN GOAL second period featuring a natural hat trick by Mika Zibanejad who tied an NHL record with six points in that period, on top of that, he scored at even strength, on the power play AND short handed. That was a disaster on steroids as Philly just plain didn't show up, PERIOD!
    Yeah, I was watching the score just keep changing and thought to myself "Uhh...the Rangers are scoring all these goals?" Let's be honest: the New York Rangers have to be disappointed with how their season has gone so far. They had a really competitive team last year and still end up getting the first overall pick in a draft that had Lefreniere. Their goaltending situation was the envy of the league, Adam Fox was a revelation and the duo of Panarin and Zibanejad were a big part of a strong forward group.

Then this season hit and WOW. Has to be a letdown for everyone involved with that team. When a team like that is scoring 9 goals...yeah, you have to think that the Flyers had a major off night.

They almost lost the game tonight, after holding a 3 goal lead. Flyers are in distress.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Yeah, I was watching the score just keep changing and thought to myself "Uhh...the Rangers are scoring all these goals?" Let's be honest: the New York Rangers have to be disappointed with how their season has gone so far. They had a really competitive team last year and still end up getting the first overall pick in a draft that had Lefreniere. Their goaltending situation was the envy of the league, Adam Fox was a revelation and the duo of Panarin and Zibanejad were a big part of a strong forward group.

Then this season hit and WOW. Has to be a letdown for everyone involved with that team. When a team like that is scoring 9 goals...yeah, you have to think that the Flyers had a major off night.

They almost lost the game tonight, after holding a 3 goal lead. Flyers are in distress.
    Distress? Yeah, that's about right, and then some. Last night wasn't a win for the Flyers, it was an escape. I don't know what's going on with that team.

By the by, one last note about Wednesday's disaster, the Flyers lost to a team who's coaching staff was in COVID lockdown and coaches from the minors ran the team. Embarrassing!

Uhhg! Those games are hard to watch, hopefully the game was in New York for the fans sake.

An interesting video this guy did a few years ago on attendance before COVID struck

What surprised me was how well Dallas does, so I went online and found out why, and apparently cities/counties in the state have invested large sums of money into little league hockey, which has resulted in it's growing popularity....guess you don't need cold weather after all.

Anyways send...

Florida to Quebec City (Bring back the Nordiques)

Islanders (Untouchable/not allowed to be moved)
    South Carolina (Back to Harford? or Atlanta?)
    Phoenix (Portland?)

Never move the Islanders. I'm actually happy with Carolina being where they are. Great team, great franchise. I have no idea who actually shows up to Arizona games.

As for Florida...they are doing well this season, but their attendance did not seem to improve before the pandemic.

As long as the Nordiques come back I'm happy.

In terms of Carolina I was just thinking of a way to bring back the Whalers without reverting to more expansion.

I know the Panthers haven't had a lot of success, but....

it's strange how the Tampa Bay Lightning are always selling out the arena, but Florida struggles so much. (Your right never move the Islanders)

So, my Flyers spotted hapless and hopeless Buffalo a three goal lead after two periods last night, and I was fairly well enraged. But then, Philly stormed back with three goals to send the game into overtime, then won. I should be happy, but I'm not because that wasn't a win, it was an escape, against a better team that the miserable Sabres, that would've been a sure fire loss in this, a horrible month for the Flyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    As long as the Nordiques come back I'm happy.

In terms of Carolina I was just thinking of a way to bring back the Whalers without reverting to more expansion.

I know the Panthers haven't had a lot of success, but....

it's strange how the Tampa Bay Lightning are always selling out the arena, but Florida struggles so much. (Your right never move the Islanders)
    I always appreciate history and legacy. The Islanders have that in spades, so it would be outrageous if they ever get moved. That would be like moving Penguins from Pittsburgh after the legacy of Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby, Malkin, etc.

I'll be honest, if I was in Florida and despite the history or success, I would always choose to go to a Lightning game, rather than a Panthers game. First and foremost, Lightning sound like a more badass team name than the Panthers. Second, the Lightning jerseys are awesome. They also made history with Manon Rheaume as the one and only female goalie to play a game in the NHL.

I do have to wonder what it is about bringing Hartford back without expanding that appeals to you. Do you feel that Hartford had a bigger hockey market than North Carolina?

So, my Flyers spotted hapless and hopeless Buffalo a three goal lead after two periods last night, and I was fairly well enraged. But then, Philly stormed back with three goals to send the game into overtime, then won. I should be happy, but I'm not because that wasn't a win, it was an escape, against a better team that the miserable Sabres, that would've been a sure fire loss in this, a horrible month for the Flyers.
    Oooh...how you feeling today, WPP?