Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Game one of the Finals is now underway on ABC.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Colorado jumped out to a 3-1 first period lead, and two of the goals Andy Vaseline let in looked weak.

Colorado came out strong then the Lightning hit back but in the end Colorado pulls through in OT.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post
    Colorado came out strong then the Lightning hit back but in the end Colorado pulls through in OT.
    Heck of a way to start the Final. Now to see if Tampa will rebound in game two on Saturday night.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Heck of a way to start the Final. Now to see if Tampa will rebound in game two on Saturday night.
    I believe they will. I would like to see Colorado win it but I believe the Lightning know how special a win in this series could be.

I am 40 years old and I cant for the life of me remember if another sports franchise (in all 4 major sports) has won 3 championships in a row. If the lightning do it I believe it the first time anyone has done it in my lifetime.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post
    I believe they will. I would like to see Colorado win it but I believe the Lightning know how special a win in this series could be.

I am 40 years old and I cant for the life of me remember if another sports franchise (in all 4 major sports) has won 3 championships in a row. If the lightning do it I believe it the first time anyone has done it in my lifetime.
    It's happened quite often in your lifetime. Since 1982 (40 years ago)

NY Islanders (NHL) 1980-1983 in the midst of a championship run when you were born; which followed a 3peat by the Canadiens from '76-79 so it was common in the NHL for while)
    Chicago Bulls (NBA)1991-1993
    Chicago Bulls (again) 1996-1998
    Houston Comets (WNBA) 1997-2000
    Yankees (MLB)1998-2000
    LA Lakers (NBA)2000-2002

the only major professional sport it hasn't happened in is the NFL, in which the closest was the Patriots in 2002, 2004, and 2005 but missing in 2004.

So while it is an impressive feat, it is by no means unprecedented in sports, especially in hockey. It has been 20 years since it happened, but it has happened more than a few times in the last 40.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    It's happened quite often in your lifetime. Since 1982 (40 years ago)

NY Islanders (NHL) 1980-1983 in the midst of a championship run when you were born; which followed a 3peat by the Canadiens from '76-79 so it was common in the NHL for while)
    Chicago Bulls (NBA)1991-1993
    Chicago Bulls (again) 1996-1998
    Houston Comets (WNBA) 1997-2000
    Yankees (MLB)1998-2000
    LA Lakers (NBA)2000-2002

the only major professional sport it hasn't happened in is the NFL, in which the closest was the Patriots in 2002, 2004, and 2005 but missing in 2004.

So while it is an impressive feat, it is by no means unprecedented in sports, especially in hockey. It has been 20 years since it happened, but it has happened more than a few times in the last 40.

-M
    Oh wow im surprised I did not think of many of those teams. I forgot all about the Bulls which is stunning. The Yankees I just probably blocked out because of my hate for them back then and same with the Lakers. I always remember my buddies Dad talking about the Islanders when I was a kid. WNBA I had no clue on the Comets. Did not follow back then but I do follow today (they are very good).

Colorado looks to go up 2-0 tonight but I have a feeling the Lightning will show up.

Three minutes into game two and the Avs are on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Three minutes into game two and the Avs are on the board.
    Ya saw that. They are coming out strong.

3-0 Avs after the end of the first period. I wonder if Andy Vaseline returns to the crease for Tampa for the start of the second period?

5-0 Avs with two minutes left in the second period. Color this game over, the only question is if Colorado can keep the Bolts off the score sheet.

Final score: Avs 7-0, and, at times, it didn't look THAT close. Tampa has their work cut out for them when the Final shifts to their home ice for games three and four.

Wow was I wrong about the Lightning (so far). Did not see Colorado playing like that last night.

lightning came out strong last night to make it a 2-1 series.