Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Characters who your opinion has changed on over the years.

So I wanted to see about some characters people's views have changed on for one reason or another. Could be you didnt like the growth or you just out grew them or whatever. Can be comics, movies, what ever.

I have a couple. The biggest for me is Batman. I used to love reading him. of course most of what I read was from the 60's or 70's. back when Superman was his best pal, he cared about Robin, and treated the Metal Men as crime fighting equals. (yes even Tin) But I havnt enjoyed too much of the modern stuff. Where Bruce is a jerk and batman can do everything including punk out guys like Green Lantern and Superman.

Another for me that I used to enjoy but do not anymore is Doctor Strange. I can handle him in guest roles and I loved the movie. But when I read his solo stuff I get more bored then anything. I used to love reading him. But now struggle through it.

As for things that changed for the better?

I used to hate reading the Silver age Dc. Didnt mind Marvel. But I avoided Dc at all costs. Now Silver Ager Dc is like one of my favorite ears of comics. I just love all the goofiness and cheese. I think this is because when I was in prison my bunkmate who was a huge comic book fan had some Showcase presents Black and White books with the 60's and 70's reprints. He let me read them and they were a great escape for me.

So what are some characters from any media that your have changed on and why?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Well, going back decades for this, but I grew up in the 80s, and I used to love Wolverine, along with all of the other X-Men. I mean, I loved comics, loved Marvel over DC if you forced me to pick a company, and loved the X-Men over the rest of Marvel, again if you made me pick ... okay, as a single character, still would have been Spider-Man, but if we're talking more than a single character, again, the X-characters. I don't know if I would even have ever said Wolverine was ever my favorite X-Man, but that didn't really matter, because the X-Men was a whole ensemble thing. Loved Nightcrawler, and his friendship with Logan, loved Storm, so Wolverine was cool for his friendship with her ... Kitty was probably my favorite, and of course there was the whole Wolverine and Kitty min-series, so again -- at the end of the day, lots of reasons to like the dude with the metal claws, skeleton, and healing factor.

Fast forward to his taking center stage through the movies, and somewhere around his taking top billing in a "Wolverine and the X-Men" comic and cartoon, and I kind of started to hate him. I think it's for exactly the same reasons that I originally liked him. Like, I read the first issue of Wolverine and the X-Men, where Professor X is touring Logan's new school with him, and talking about how he always hoped one of his students would eventually take over for him as the leader for the next generation of mutants -- you know, without any mention at all that he'd hoped that was going to be Cyclops? -- and yeah, kind of couldn't stand Logan, by that point. It's that his sheer popularity just warped all of the other characters, the entire narrative of the story, to put him at the center. It was irritating.

Kind of disappointing too though, because hating on Wolverine for being popular was kind of a cliche thing. Still, couldn't help it. Don't know if I still hate him exactly, but he certainly never returned to the status of a favorite, that he once had.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

I would say the X-men as a whole too…

I wouldn’t say I hate them because they are just puppets maniputed by a puppeteer.

When I was little, I felt close to the X-men because they were very human despite their strange powers… So, they showed that being human covered a very broad definition.

Now, I see them the way they are in reality: puppets without a soul. The generosity has disappeared.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

On the X-Men theme, Cyclops. I liked the terrorist/freedom fighter turn he took when Disney started suppressing the line and some of the writers started having him act like one would if they lived in a world where mutants were not only feared and hated, but seeming to be on the road to extinction. I will say that I never was a fan of Wolverine, but the turn they took with him (like with Daenerys in GoT, also was never a fan of but felt bad towards the end) was out of character and made him look awful. Not into children as soldiers? He's the guy who went out of his way to team up with underage girls at every opportunity (Kitty/Jubilee).

For the most part I'd say any character can be interesting if the writing is. I grew up reading really bad Image comics because they were popular, but never liked most of the characters. Then you had writers like Alan Moore take on Rob Liefeld's Supreme (Superman knock-off) and Jim Lee's WildC.A.T.S., and Warren Ellis take on Stormwatch, and suddenly those books are among my favorites.

As a curmudgeonly old comics nerd I'm often sad that all of these comic movies are coming out, and I'm not enjoying very many of them. Not just the changes from the comics themselves (almost has to happen to adapt to a movie audience, so I get that), but just how bad or at best C+ average the writing and acting is because (again) they have to appeal to a wide audience. Most have adopted the Guardians of the Galaxy template of action/quip/quip/action/quip/quip because it was successful and easy, lots of CGI monsters and explosions, but I don't care about any of the characters. And some (like Spider-Man) are so far from who they are in the comics outside of some superficial details that I wish they'd call them something else (maybe Iron-Lad?).

There are exceptions. Legion/David Haller is a character I couldn't stand in the comics. His TV series is one of my favorite comic-related things ever. "Watchmen" on HBO sounded like a horrible idea, and by all rights should have been a horrible product, but was very good. Maybe part of that was my hating the Legion character and having such low expectations for the Watchmen series that I was surprised, as opposed to really liking Spider-Man and the X-Men and having to cringe through their counterparts on the big screen. But I find writing is the key, and while I have favorite characters I'd much rather follow a writer or writers than characters.

I can't think of characters I've grown to dislike over the years. If a book that once interested me is one I find boring now, I'm not likely to think about it much.

There are a few characters I've come to appreciate. I initially thought Aquaman, the Barry Allen Flash and Hal Jordan Green Lantern were bland, but then read takes on the characters that showed what made them unique.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    On the X-Men theme, Cyclops. I liked the terrorist/freedom fighter turn he took when Disney started suppressing the line and some of the writers started having him act like one would if they lived in a world where mutants were not only feared and hated, but seeming to be on the road to extinction. I will say that I never was a fan of Wolverine, but the turn they took with him (like with Daenerys in GoT, also was never a fan of but felt bad towards the end) was out of character and made him look awful. Not into children as soldiers? He's the guy who went out of his way to team up with underage girls at every opportunity (Kitty/Jubilee).

For the most part I'd say any character can be interesting if the writing is. I grew up reading really bad Image comics because they were popular, but never liked most of the characters. Then you had writers like Alan Moore take on Rob Liefeld's Supreme (Superman knock-off) and Jim Lee's WildC.A.T.S., and Warren Ellis take on Stormwatch, and suddenly those books are among my favorites.

As a curmudgeonly old comics nerd I'm often sad that all of these comic movies are coming out, and I'm not enjoying very many of them. Not just the changes from the comics themselves (almost has to happen to adapt to a movie audience, so I get that), but just how bad or at best C+ average the writing and acting is because (again) they have to appeal to a wide audience. Most have adopted the Guardians of the Galaxy template of action/quip/quip/action/quip/quip because it was successful and easy, lots of CGI monsters and explosions, but I don't care about any of the characters. And some (like Spider-Man) are so far from who they are in the comics outside of some superficial details that I wish they'd call them something else (maybe Iron-Lad?).

There are exceptions. Legion/David Haller is a character I couldn't stand in the comics. His TV series is one of my favorite comic-related things ever. "Watchmen" on HBO sounded like a horrible idea, and by all rights should have been a horrible product, but was very good. Maybe part of that was my hating the Legion character and having such low expectations for the Watchmen series that I was surprised, as opposed to really liking Spider-Man and the X-Men and having to cringe through their counterparts on the big screen. But I find writing is the key, and while I have favorite characters I'd much rather follow a writer or writers than characters.
    That is one that changed within just a few years (the length of the series), for me. I am totally with you about loving season one. I mean, I never hated Legion from the comics, but then I never really read the stuff even by the time he killed Professor X and started House of M. My only exposure was where David was more or less a minor character, while "Legion" as a whole served as a plot device -- somehow, several x-characters got pulled into his head, you get to meet several alternate personalities, including at least one bad guy, but then of course the good guys prevail. So, basically I was neutral on the character, when the show started.

I absolutely loved the first season, though. Great characters, and I loved the sense of unreality -- very much fit to the story centering around David, and his being something of an unreliable narrator. I loved how it seemed vague, what time period the show was set in, and the idea that it might be somehow a part of the larger X-Men cinematic universe. Apocalypse of course had been a horrid movie, so this seemed a better potential follow-up to First Class and Days of Future Past. Basically, gave some hope for the franchise not totally falling apart.

Of course, by the end, it was not connected to any of the movies at all, and this was I guess just some completely separate and different universe than any of that. Which would have been fair enough, but I also felt like the show just started to fall apart through season two, mostly I'd say by focusing much too completely on David, to the exclusion of the other characters. And sure, I realize the show is called Legion, and he is the central character. Still think it would have been better if seasons two and three were less focused on him and Sid, and if the supporting characters from season one had been focused on more. I guess kind of like how what I liked about X-Men back in the day was that it was an ensemble thing ... some arcs and issues might focus more on Storm, or Rogue, or Colossus, and no one character ever really just dominated as having the overall narrative of the book being about them.

I think Legion would have been a better show, had they gone that route. Because, much as I think the actor did a great job, David ultimately was just not so incredibly interesting, to need everything to just remain focused on him, all the way through. Maybe it's the overall kind of message that I have kind of a problem with; you know, even in our own lives? Sure, obviously you are unavoidably the main character, in your own story. But, you know what, it's still not always just all about you!
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Agreed on Batman. Old Batman, despite his trauma as a child, was able to grow up and not be controlled by his anger and be an over d-bag. Let alone the whole bat-god thing.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

I would have to say both Batman and Wolverine, for the reasons that others have stated above.

Astonishing Member

Wolverine: My absolut favorite character after Spider-Man...

But then writers decided to put him in extreme violent situations where his healing factor took care of in the end. Times over and over, every new writer wanted to top what was before. Right now I am not too fond of him anymore.

Deadpool: Same...he was once funny under Joe Kelly and Christopher Priest, but everything that came after...not so much. I still like him as a movie character.

Joker: He is so overused, I groan when I see him.

Captain America grew on me. All the early and mid-90s comics with him, he seemed like such a boy scout. Other characters literally mocked Steve Rogers as such across Marvel stories.

And then, the Brubaker run and New Avengers. Then the MCU and Chris Evans version. During the "Stevil arc" I was steadfast that it was Cosmic Cube f***ery the whole time because Steve would never, ever do the s*** we were seeing.

I don't know how they gave the character more layers and made him more than a one note caricature compared to the guy I saw in my first impression, but they sure as hell did it.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Boisterously Confused

Encountering him as a kid, I did not like The Vision. At. All.

He was creepy. He had no secret ID. A robot romancing a woman. Ick.

I still have never quite cottoned to the idea of an android learning to feel love, but I've rolled with it. What's more, rereading his story as an adult, I've developed more of an appreciation for the character. He was especially a good fit for the Avengers at the time of his introduction, providing much needed muscle when Thor and Iron Man were so often absent. He gave an outsiders perspective to the Avengers. What's more, there was always a touch of tension: "is this the issue where Ultron's programming finally takes over?"

I do wish they'd played a bit more with the civilian disguise they briefly gave him. It would have been fun watching him experience human life. Moreover, it was cool watching him phase out of his clothes and skin-suit.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Bishop I guess. When he first debuted, though I didn't hate him I thought he was your generic 90's badass but he slowly grew on me and I saw his humanity. I was most sold during his part in the original AoA and I definitely see him as his X-Men mythos is cemented permanently. If they can fix any damage done for people to accept him again I'm all for it. I can't blame the character for his usage in the story-line at the time.

Uncle Vernon. Every couple of years when I decide to reread Potter, I somehow find myself sympathizing with him. Not the bigotry (though that's a large part of his character), but the sense I have of him as someone who just wants to be left alone and the rest of the crazy world keeps on bothering him.

I'm hit-or-miss with Wolverine. I liked Claremont's classic Japan stories with him, and I liked Remender writing him. But the times where he foamed at the mouth with rage whenever someone invoked the name Cyclops were laughable.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Uncle Vernon. Every couple of years when I decide to reread Potter, I somehow find myself sympathizing with him. Not the bigotry (though that's a large part of his character), but the sense I have of him as someone who just wants to be left alone and the rest of the crazy world keeps on bothering him.

I'm hit-or-miss with Wolverine. I liked Claremont's classic Japan stories with him, and I liked Remender writing him. But the times where he foamed at the mouth with rage whenever someone invoked the name Cyclops were laughable.
    Hm. Interesting point about Vernon. He's KJR's condemnation of The Comfortable Middle Class. But I'm part of it. I wonder how many other Potter Fans are too.

Astonishing Member

I have a love-hate relationship with the Hulk.

One one hand, I love his power set and struggles, but at a point, it comes off as a guy that bullies others about his problems. He's never allowed to grow or resolve his issues. It's like how the worst interpretations of Batman glorify mental illness and grief.