Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Which Characters Have the Best Names?

Who in the X-books have the best names, codenames, monikers?

I'm not talking about who you like the best, but who's name has always struck you as "cool"? I'll list five:

1) Quicksilver. He's an okay character overall and I consider him more of an Avenger, really, but his name has ALWAYS been very cool to me. That shimmer on the horizon on a hot afternoon perfectly encapsulates his run-of-the-mill powerset.

2) Longshot. Another moniker that perfectly fits the character. He's a decent character with an incredible name.

3) Cyclops. One of the original X-Men with a name that befits the outcast theme of the books. Unlike the two above, I've always liked Scott and consider him one of the best of the X-Men.

4) Psylocke. I'll admit, I got into the X-Men around the time Jim Lee turned Psylocke into a ninja babe with a psi-blade, so that may be one reason I like her codename. Her character is big mess, though.

5) Spiral. Art Adams has a thing for cool codenames. The character isn't at all well developed, but her name is top notch.

As for what I consider the worst:

1) Marvel Girl. Uninspired, even for the early Sixties. I tend to dislike names with "Man", "Woman", "Girl", "Boy", etc., although Iceman is one that I find perfect for the character. The Iceman Cometh and all that.

2) Cable. I've always found is convoluted storyline and time-jumping theme to be exhausting, and that probably colors my opinion of his name. It's just an everyday, non-district item. I guess he's a "cable" to the future?

3) Goldballs. I get it. His name is supposed to be funny. It's what he does and there is a "wink, wink, get it?" factor to it. You either buy in to it or you don't, and I guess I just do not.
    Last edited by Grimsmack; 02-13-2021 at 11:48 AM.

Marvel Girl. *sniggers*

BANNED

Honey Badger WAS a perfect name. But I guess it was TOO cool.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

If we're talking about names and not necessarily the characters themselves, it's a pretty long list. But here are just a few of my favorites...

Rogue
    Apocalypse
    Havok
    Sunfire
    Polaris
    Phoenix/Dark Phoenix
    Black Box
    Warpath
    Vindicator
    Exodus
    Husk
    Kirika
    Primal
    Banshee
    Northstar
    Slipstream
    Sabretooth
    Iceman

Apocalypse is a pretty awesome name, I always like it when people refer to Logan as "The Wolverine" sounds so ominous and threatening just by adding the work "the." I always like Cyclops and Nightcrawler as well.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

BANNED

Apocalypse. The one who has annihilated the Bronze Age heh

Astonishing Member

Darkstar...awesome name. Omega Red is pretty cool too

I don't know how to answer this because I usually think of characters by their first name. So ororo munroe is my fave be cause sometimes I get a chuckle out of saying the same way I like to say "ra-roni kenshin. Forgot, you have to say it in Scooby Doo voice. That's the most important part.
    Last edited by jwatson; 02-13-2021 at 07:02 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Astonishing Member

Pretty sure at least half the X-men qualify, while the other half are split between non-sensical yet memorable and just random words.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Honey Badger WAS a perfect name. But I guess it was TOO cool.
    I have the feeling many readers (or at least people following the comics) will keep refering to her with that name, or just use her first name, rather than using Scout.
    Since the general reaction i've seen across the field seem to be that the new name sounds generic or so bland that no image is conjured upon hearing it, while the previous one not only matches her personality but also fits to the theme of animals similar to a wolverine.
    Last edited by Grunty; 02-13-2021 at 04:49 AM.

Rogue and Havok are the names I find the coolest.

Astonishing Member

Negasonic Teenage Warhead
    Powerpax
    Sunspot

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quicksilver (named after Mercury, of course, messenger of the gods). Havok. Storm.

I don’t particularly like Nightcrawler, bit of a mouthful, but I do like that it was his stage name as a performer.

Cyclops
    Warpath
    Vulcan
    Tempus
    Sunspot

Psylocke

X-23

Storm

Havok

Polaris

Mystique
    Mr. Sinister