Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should they bring back the We Are Robin concept?

Robin is a concept that becomes more problematic the more you bring emotional nuance to the Batman mythos. To me the Robin gang fixed the concept of Robin by making it something that worked parallel to Bruce but wasn't embraced by him.

Plus the fact that it was a bunch of kids trying to survive the way other kids do too, but with their own unique identity as proto superheroes meant that it was much more reasonable.

What do you all think?

In a word, yes.

In a longer form, hell yes.

Seriously, the WAR movement would be perfect for today's age, even more so than when the story was released. People, especially in the US, have started to realize that mass protests can change things and the WAR kids are clearly the core of a would be social movement. With the Magistrate coming to Gotham with its facist policies, the WAR kids would be an excellent on the ground opposition, which would open a lot of dynamics to characters like the Fox family, with Jace being probably torn about them and his mother who supports the Magistrate once her daughter is gravely injured would have to deal with other families saying that their kids wanted to change the city for real unlike posh folks and they were wounded/killed for it.

That's just pure drama and so much potential.

Probably, I do think the concept was cut short way too quickly.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

I've been saying, We are Robin was the most interesting take they could've had on Robin in contemporary times. I would love to see the return of the We are Robin crew and a return to the movement. While the Duke fan in me would love to see the Signal lead them, I think it would work better with Riko taking that role and just have Signal and the Robin's partner up from time to time. Duke is support in their book and they're support in whatever he does (hopefully a new book one day).
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member

You would have to find a way to work in their own little corner.

As part of the bigger Batman franchise the have imo the same problem as Batman inc. in that they are a lot of characters, added to a franchise that probably has already to many characters.

For the whole gang of crime fighting teenagers might also in general work better out side of Gotham, since Batfamily would have have at some point have to step in to either train them or shut them down.

They’ve recycled it, still didn’t click. There doesn’t seem to be much general interest there.

I didn't think I'd have any interest when they first announced the series, but after trying it out I enjoyed it.

Part of me would like to see it brought back, but another part of me is afraid DC would just screw up any attempt to recapture what worked the first time.

I just come to the conclusion that having Bruce see a teenager dress up as Robin and work alongside him to go out on the streets at night, jump off rooftops and fight a bunch of guys with guns, is always this unethical thing we ignore for entertainment issues.

It's not so much about how it impacts the real world, it's about how it's just weird to positiin Bruce as a mostly heroic figure while allowing something so absurdly unethical. We Are Robin has the same fundamental appeal but without any of the ethical issues. They are protecting their own neighborhoods and act just like the other gangs, except without guns. It seems to me like the perfect solution. Bruce bears no responsibility for them.
    Last edited by Alpha; 01-24-2021 at 10:22 AM.

Mighty Member

Hell yeah.

To expand a bit, I think they should make a concerted effort to find the "right" writer for the title, and when that person wants to leave, don't hand the book off to just anyone. Lee Bermejo had the perfect tone for the book at that time, and it'd be very easy for such a book to either fail the material miserably or to become a generic teen superhero book. Hopefully an editor reads this thread and agrees with us
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

We Are Robin and Clownhunter are natural response to the increasingly stupid amount of death and violence in Gotham. So yes.

Just don't make freaking Alfred be the supplier and enabler while at the same time wanting to keep Bruce amnesia and safe, because that's much worse than Bruce training his own Robin

Yeah. True

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I just come to the conclusion that having Bruce see a teenager dress up as Robin and work alongside him to go out on the streets at night, jump off rooftops and fight a bunch of guys with guns, is always this unethical thing we ignore for entertainment issues.

It's not so much about how it impacts the real world, it's about how it's just weird to positiin Bruce as a mostly heroic figure while allowing something so absurdly unethical. We Are Robin has the same fundamental appeal but without any of the ethical issues. They are protecting their own neighborhoods and act just like the other gangs, except without guns. It seems to me like the perfect solution. Bruce bears no responsibility for them.
    Then don't have them do that. Although Miles Morales is doing that and did it a LOT in his video game.

Have them handle stuff that is at their level.

Let them handle the Z lister villains and crooked politicians. Now if they happen to uncover a bigger threat.....

[QUOTE] There doesn’t seem to be much general interest there.[QUOTE]

Didn't they say that about Supergirl? 200+ issue later she is still around.

That book came along when the anti Duke faction was running wild.

Nothing is wrong with a 12 issue mini run.

Miles has super powers, and Peter is really only half endorsing someone who did the exact same thing he did (with super powers).

Robin fighting guns is inevitable. What kind of criminal in Gotham doesn't have a gun, or have henchmen with guns, or have powers or weapons just as, or even more dangerous?

And what exactly do you mean by Robin handling crooked politicians? How many politicians do you think there are in Gotham? And if they are corrupt they probably also have henchmen or guards with guns.

Supergirl obviously found an audience at some point. Where Are Robin, and then We Are Nightwing, these concepts never even came close to catching. When it comes to an iconic property like Robin they have to make somewhat calculated decisions as to not confuse or convolute the brand. There is always something else they can do. If there's traction, in or outside of comics, alright, but when there isn't you can actually hurt the brand. Look at Nightwing. Keep doing something no one is interested in long enough and audiences will eventually just start to lose interest in the brand overall. Whats more politics in general is a fine line when it comes to mass appeal, and Robin is still a property they look at to market to children.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-24-2021 at 08:48 PM.

Mighty Member

I like some of what was done in We Are Robin. However, I think someone with a closer connection with the Robin name, like Tim Drake should have been the person behind the scene that was helping them not Alfred.

While the concepts were similar, I do think We Are Robin have the advantage over 'We Are Nightwing" based on the fact that people at least like some of the characters.