Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 278
  1. #1
    Astonishing Member mystical41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    2,006

    Default Is there bias or unintentional sexism in tom taylor's writing of WW?

    I have read both injustice and Dceased. And in those. WW is either a trophy for batman or superman. A murder or a weak link. And sometimes all of that at the same time. For example in Dceased. She is killed in one hit by superman. And Mary Marvel only needed a few months of training and boom, goodbye WW. And once again, tom taylor talked about how mary has powers from multiple Gods. While forgeting Diana has them too. In taylor's hands. WW is always portrayed as a weaklink next to men. Or next to women based on already existing male characters such as mary marvel, batwoman etc. So is there bias or sexism here? Or is he just that clueless about where WW is supposed to rank in power. And also in terms of her personality and goals? Because not only she is weak inder tom taylor, she is always talking about how great batman and superman are. And usually acting like a bloodthirsty barbarian.
    Last edited by mystical41; 09-01-2021 at 09:20 AM.

  2. #2
    Fishy Member I'm a Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    The Ocean
    Posts
    3,472

    Default

    I think he's just clueless as to how to write Wonder Woman period...

    I know when you have that many characters in one book, some are going to get she short end of the stick. But it feels like he hasn't read as many Wonder Woman books as he does Batman/Superman or Justice League books.

    I don't think he's sexist, he writes plenty of female characters well. I just think he has literally no idea what to do with the character or how to approach her (something which unfortunately many writers admit is hard for them). He probably feels like he's stuck with putting her in a main character roll because of wear she ranks on the DC totem poll.

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member mystical41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    2,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I think he's just clueless as to how to write Wonder Woman period...

    I know when you have that many characters in one book, some are going to get she short end of the stick. But it feels like he hasn't read as many Wonder Woman books as he does Batman/Superman or Justice League books.

    I don't think he's sexist, he writes plenty of female characters well. I just think he has literally no idea what to do with the character or how to approach her (something which unfortunately many writers admit is hard for them). He probably feels like he's stuck with putting her in a main character roll because of wear she ranks on the DC totem poll.
    How does that explain the fact that he writes WW as a weaklink next to any heavy hitter? superman, hercules, shazam, mary marvel etc.

  4. #4
    Fishy Member I'm a Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    The Ocean
    Posts
    3,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    How does that explain the fact that he writes WW as a weaklink next to any heavy hitter? superman, hercules, shazam, mary marvel etc.
    I dunno, I guess he's just terrible at hiding his overall disinterest with the character. Usually that manifests as terrible portrayals of the character.

  5. #5
    AEColyte Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Occupied Klendathu
    Posts
    10,869

    Default

    People seem to like how he writes Black Canary and, even though I think she’s insufferable, Harley so no, it’s probably just what I’m a Fish said. From what I’ve read of him I don’t think he really has any grasp of her beyond “Warrior Goddess who thinks Superman is awesome”.

    He was stuck with a pre-existing characterization of Diana with Injustice, so while he did a rather terrible job writing an evil Wonder Woman he can’t take all the blame there.

    DCeased is all him though.

  6. #6
    Astonishing Member mystical41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    2,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I dunno, I guess he's just terrible at hiding his overall disinterest with the character. Usually that manifests as terrible portrayals of the character.
    Being desinterest at her character shouldn't mean to portray her as a weaklink. She is WW. One would think that any writer with some commen sense should know she is supposed to be one of the top guns and not somebody that gets tradhed around by any heavy hitter under the sun.

  7. #7
    Fishy Member I'm a Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    The Ocean
    Posts
    3,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    Being desinterest at her character shouldn't mean to portray her as a weaklink. She is WW. One would think that any writer with some commen sense should know she is supposed to be one of the top guns and not somebody that gets tradhed around by any heavy hitter under the sun.
    I wouldn't necessary call her a weakling in his stories, it more so he's buffing up characters he clearly favors by having them take out Wonder Woman. He's done the same to Superman in the series, having Alfred kick the snot out of him and all (I know Alfred took that super pill or whatever but Sups still got all those other powers). Martian Manhunter being killed via laser vision when any Martian Manhunter fan would say that's a questionable way to kill him at best. The list goes on...

    The reason people read these stories it to watch iconic heroes brutally hurt and kill each other in shocking ways. I would say it's not the portrayal of Wonder Woman's power level that bothers me, because like all these characters in Injustice/DCeased it fluctuates all over the place.

    It's more her character, which had a horrible reason for siding with Superman in Inustice. Basically it's whittled down to her having a crush on him...Not to mention she was never truly peace loving to begin with.

    And with Mary Marvel taking out WW, he clearly just wanted to show what a badass she had become and it came at Zombie Wonder Woman's expense. I don't agree with it because it's a Zombie Wonder Woman for crying out loud, how would any form of martial arts help agents that, but it is what it is.

    I'm not making excuses for Taylors ignorance on writing Wonder Woman, but he just isn't as interested in her as he is with other character and sadly it shows. Who knows, maybe 3rd times the charm with these Tom Taylor stories.

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member mystical41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    2,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I wouldn't necessary call her a weakling in his stories, it more so he's buffing up characters he clearly favors by having them take out Wonder Woman. He's done the same to Superman in the series, having Alfred kick the snot out of him and all (I know Alfred took that super pill or whatever but Sups still got all those other powers). Martian Manhunter being killed via laser vision when any Martian Manhunter fan would say that's a questionable way to kill him at best. The list goes on...

    The reason people read these stories it to watch iconic heroes brutally hurt and kill each other in shocking ways. I would say it's not the portrayal of Wonder Woman's power level that bothers me, because like all these characters in Injustice/DCeased it fluctuates all over the place.

    It's more her character, which had a horrible reason for siding with Superman in Inustice. Basically it's whittled down to her having a crush on him...Not to mention she was never truly peace loving to begin with.

    And with Mary Marvel taking out WW, he clearly just wanted to show what a badass she had become and it came at Zombie Wonder Woman's expense. I don't agree with it because it's a Zombie Wonder Woman for crying out loud, how would any form of martial arts help agents that, but it is what it is.

    I'm not making excuses for Taylors ignorance on writing Wonder Woman, but he just isn't as interested in her as he is with other character and sadly it shows. Who knows, maybe 3rd times the charm with these Tom Taylor stories.
    His WW in whatever story he writes her in is constantly trashed. hercules, shazam, superman, mary marvel. And he swears he knows WW and loves her. So my question stands still. He loves her but makes her everybody's punching bag? Intersting.

  9. #9
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    202

    Default

    I say just worry about the intentional stuff and don't try to be offended by everything.

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member mystical41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    2,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    I say just worry about the intentional stuff and don't try to be offended by everything.
    I do. Which is why i am discussing this. Since i have seen this pattern repeated with WW and her verse for the last years in and outside of canon stories.

  11. #11
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    12,287

    Default

    Injustice isn't his fault. That's how Diana is characterized in the games and he's just following suit.

  12. #12
    Astonishing Member mystical41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    2,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Injustice isn't his fault. That's how Diana is characterized in the games and he's just following suit.
    Are you sure? Who idea wasto show WW getting trashed by hercules in injustice while the likes of shazam and supes own him? Was that part ofthe videogame? And what about dceased where she isalso fodder for other heavy hitters? That is all him.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    30,883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    Are you sure? Who idea wasto show WW getting trashed by hercules in injustice while the likes of shazam and supes own him? Was that part ofthe videogame? And what about dceased where she isalso fodder for other heavy hitters? That is all him.
    The game has her losing to Deathstroke so her being a jobber isn't an invention of his either.

  14. #14
    AEColyte Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Occupied Klendathu
    Posts
    10,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I wouldn't necessary call her a weakling in his stories, it more so he's buffing up characters he clearly favors by having them take out Wonder Woman. He's done the same to Superman in the series, having Alfred kick the snot out of him and all (I know Alfred took that super pill or whatever but Sups still got all those other powers). Martian Manhunter being killed via laser vision when any Martian Manhunter fan would say that's a questionable way to kill him at best. The list goes on...

    The reason people read these stories it to watch iconic heroes brutally hurt and kill each other in shocking ways. I would say it's not the portrayal of Wonder Woman's power level that bothers me, because like all these characters in Injustice/DCeased it fluctuates all over the place.

    It's more her character, which had a horrible reason for siding with Superman in Inustice. Basically it's whittled down to her having a crush on him...Not to mention she was never truly peace loving to begin with.

    And with Mary Marvel taking out WW, he clearly just wanted to show what a badass she had become and it came at Zombie Wonder Woman's expense. I don't agree with it because it's a Zombie Wonder Woman for crying out loud, how would any form of martial arts help agents that, but it is what it is.

    I'm not making excuses for Taylors ignorance on writing Wonder Woman, but he just isn't as interested in her as he is with other character and sadly it shows. Who knows, maybe 3rd times the charm with these Tom Taylor stories.
    Yeah, it's that she's a poorly-written evil alternate universe version (in both the game and comics) that's annoying not that's she an evil alternate universe version.
    Last edited by Gaius; 01-25-2021 at 07:35 AM.

  15. #15
    Astonishing Member mystical41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    2,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The game has her losing to Deathstroke so her being a jobber isn't an invention of his either.
    tom taylor treats her as fodder for heavy hitters in dceased too. Did a videogame also "force" him to portray her like this in that comic too?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •