Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    Okay, friend. As I said, I found it to be mansplaining. If you and the dictionary don't, that's fine with me. As long as you don't tell me how I should feel about what I saw. Since I'm not telling you how you should feel about what you saw.
    The word has a meaning. The thing you're talking about is something else. Call it what you want, jt just doesn't make you right since that's not what it means

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    The word has a meaning. The thing you're talking about is something else. Call it what you want, jt just doesn't make you right since that's not what it means
    I'm a writer. I know words have meaning.

Also, I'm not trying to be "right." I'm simply conveying what I saw on the screen. If you saw something else or didn't see what I saw or believe you can explain away what I interpreted, that's perfectly fine. Enjoy.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    Marston said she was meant to be as strong as SM. And since then. We have had many statements in DC comics where her power is compared to his. So of course we will get upset if we see him beating her easily. After so many times of DC telling us she is comparable to him in power, is a better fighter with unbreakable magic gear and whatnot. So what we want. Is for DC to put their money where their mouth is. Don't have WW be a punching bag for superman or his villains. If you keep telling us that she is comparable to SM in power.

Female versions of already established male characters are never allowed to be on par with their male counter parts. She hulk, Batgirl, Batwoman, Supergirl, Powergirl, Namora, Mongal etc. They still live in the shadows of their male versions for the most part. While WW was given a brother after 80 years that nobody asked for. And the writer attempted to make him stronger than her. Most of WW villains are women. And for many years, she has been fighting more women than men in her stories. Having one iconic female character centering her lore around women in an ocean of male figures is not going to prevent Superman or anybody else from shining you know. So yeah, your argument just doesn't hold up based on facts.
    DC says that Superman is the most powerful being on Earth, if we want DC to keep his word, Superman >>>> the entire Earth. Supergirl has been declared stronger than Superman both in comics and on TV, she has defeated Superman and Superman himself has said that she is better than him.

To me it was mansplaining. Both in the original AND in the sequel (after she had been in "Man's World" for at least 70 years).
    I suppose it’s mansplaining if you wanna complain about mansplaining…

BANNED

If Wonder Woman is stronger than Superman, what happens? Is the universe in danger? Do men suddenly feel like they can't be "real men" because a fictional female superhero is stronger than a fictional male superhero? I'm genuinely curious why the very notion of Wonder Woman being the strongest is unpalpable or unimaginable.
    If Superman is stronger than WW, what happens? Is the universe in danger? Do women suddenly feel like they can't be "real women" because a fictional superhero is stronger than a fictional superhero? I'm very curious why the very notion of Superman being the strongest is = sexism

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    If Superman is stronger than WW, what happens? Is the universe in danger? Do women suddenly feel like they can't be "real women" because a fictional superhero is stronger than a fictional superhero? I'm very curious why the very notion of Superman being the strongest is = sexism
    No. And nobody here is saying Wonder Woman should be stronger than Superman. You're the only person suggesting that and suggesting it as a negative. Which is why I asked the questions. Which you didn't answer. You just cut and pasted my response. Which is not really productive. Or honest.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Quote Originally Posted by Natamaxxx View Post
    I suppose it’s mansplaining if you wanna complain about mansplaining…
    If you like it, I love it.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

DC says that Superman is the most powerful being on Earth, if we want DC to keep his word, Superman >>>> the entire Earth. Supergirl has been declared stronger than Superman both in comics and on TV, she has defeated Superman and Superman himself has said that she is better than him.
    Dc also says WW is the strongest female hero. That WW is on par with Superman. And that Superman is stronger than Supergirl. She just seems stronger becausse she doesn't know how to hold back.

What is in danger is DC's credibility with feminsm. If Superman can easily beat and kill WW like it has happened more than once. Then yes, it is very telling that they allow her to be treated like that. While at the same time hyping her as a big deal and using her image to sell as a girl power icon.

No. And nobody here is saying Wonder Woman should be stronger than Superman. You're the only person suggesting that and suggesting it as a negative. Which is why I asked the questions. Which you didn't answer. You just cut and pasted my response. Which is not really productive. Or honest.
    I am not ok with WW bein shown as a helpless ant next to sm. Like in jl movies and in comics where he beats her like she is nothing. I do have a big problem with that. After all. DC tells me WW is comnparable to him in power and the best melee fighter. So i want to see the proof of that. Not empty lipservice.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    No one's saying she has to always be the best/strongest, just that it's frustrating how often she's totally slapped around and pushed aside, made disposable, or treated as a plot point to drive a male character's arc. Contrast the JL movie where she's totally jobbed (or worse yet the theatrical cut where you get things like Flash falling on her tits) with something like League of One, where she concedes that she can't beat Superman in a fight but that assertion doesn't diminish her.
    Eh. Among other things, I feel like Diana saying she could never beat Superman is very out of character for her. She doesn't strike me as the type of person who would ever admit there's something she can't do or achieve. Even if she believed he was that far above her, I'd think she would see that as a challenge to be met. Not something to meekly accept.

I enjoy League of One, but that bit really sticks out like a sore thumb.
    Last edited by Guy_McNichts; 07-29-2022 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    Eh. Among other things, I feel like Diana saying she could never beat Superman is very out of character for her. Even if she believed he was that far above her, I'd think she would see that as a challenge to be met. Not something to meekly accept.

I enjoy League of One, but that bit really sticks out like a sore thumb.
    This is weird for me, but while I prefer Clark and Diana being equal or close to that, I don't think she should really care all that much if she can't beat him. And in this case, fighting him wasn't her goal anyway. She wanted him to rescue the others so she could fight the dragon.

Just want to add, I don't see it as an ego or insecurity thing. I just think Diana's the type of person who, if someone says she can't accomplish something, will think to herself "Yes, I can."

I actually think these memes/fan art from the first movie sum it up:

I'm a writer. I know words have meaning.

Also, I'm not trying to be "right." I'm simply conveying what I saw on the screen. If you saw something else or didn't see what I saw or believe you can explain away what I interpreted, that's perfectly fine. Enjoy.
    It's not really a matter of opinion tho. If the person you are talking to doesn't know the information, then it's literally not mansplaining. It's not really a matter of opinion

The point behind mansplaining is that it reveals a baseline disrespect for the female gender by disregarding any of their merit and treating them as children that need to be informed.

If we watch Scooby Doo and you tell me you felt like Scooby Doo was a human, you can feel whatever you want, but the word human has a meaning, and Scooby Doo isn't one.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post

Without commenting on the rest of the debate, that meme is just beautiful
    Last edited by Alpha; 07-29-2022 at 11:01 PM.