Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default Suggestions for backup features in the new Superman books...

If DC wants to do this whole giant-sized comics idea in order to give readers more bang for their buck, I'm on board, but the backup features thus far have been extremely underwhelming.

How about a straight up LOIS LANE feature? A JIMMY OLSEN feature? A POWER GIRL feature?

Why are we getting D-listers like Guardian and Mister Miracle when we could be getting ongoing backups with characters who are already popular but are currently underserved?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

How is it a "list" thing? Back ups are usually enhancement features. Like you'll more commonly get a vignette on Pa or Lana, another citizen, perspective on Superman etc. Lois and Jimmy both are just coming out of respective maxi series and featuring them doesn't really expand metropolis. They're the same supporting cast members we see every time. Guardian and Black Racer are long time tethers to Kirby and Miracle works just as well, but they're also in pretty unfamiliar forms so their stories can go much differently. Gotta spice it up, y'know?
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Kuwagaton is right. Back ups should expand the visions and feature characters less seen, if possible. Lois and Jimmy are constant presences in the stories. A Power Girl Back up could be welcomed. Steel. Bring back underused characters. But the other condition is than Back ups should contribute to the main story in some way.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    If DC wants to do this whole giant-sized comics idea in order to give readers more bang for their buck, I'm on board, but the backup features thus far have been extremely underwhelming.

How about a straight up LOIS LANE feature? A JIMMY OLSEN feature? A POWER GIRL feature?

Why are we getting D-listers like Guardian and Mister Miracle when we could be getting ongoing backups with characters who are already popular but are currently underserved?
    I actually like getting a guardian backup, because where else would he show up in the DC Univese? I don't mind mister miracle as much because he does't really have a space either, but I agree it doesn't make since for the superman line.

Guardian and Crimebuster come to mind as back ups I’d enjoy. A chance to explore Metropolis’ street level scene.
    And Krypto. Always room for Krypto.

BANNED

1: Lois and Jimmy, a comic that shows their work, the dark side of metropolis seen in a way that superman cannot show, it would also serve to give life to the Daily Planet.
    2: Steel, the hero who shows that more futuristic side and focused on the metropolis technology, the less used villains of Superman would be perfect, in addition to giving both the hero and the villain a chance to be reborn.
    3: Krypto, perfect for attracting children, I am not saying they have to be children's stories, but more innocent.

I have always believed that although many writers say that Superman is difficult to write, it is the opposite, Superman is a character with infinite possibilities but that Dc only focuses on one and destroys everything else, Dc is the Antimonitor (destroy everything to his step) from Superman

Incredible Member

For Action Comics: A Daily Planet back-up, focused on Lois or Jimmy unless they have significant roles in the main feature, in which case it can go to Perry, Steve, Cat or whoever else.
    For Superman: Spotlighting a superhero either connected to Superman or Metropolis that isn't being used in the main stories or has their own book at the moment. I'd go for Steel or Guardian.

Krypto should be with either Kara or Conner - who ideally would both have solo books - and not in his own story.

As for the backup comics, I agree that Action's should be about the Daily Planet. Superman can have Steel, Superboy can have Guardian (a version of Guardian was once his ally when he was working for Cadmus) and Supergirl can have Power Girl (as they're multiversal counterparts).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post

Yes. YES. YES!!

I'm a bit partial to a Superboy and the Legion backup chronicling Clark's time with them as a boy. Just boyhood Summertime adventures on a cosmic scale. But I suppose that's Jon's domain for right now, huh? :/

But Lois Lane? Power Girl. Sign me up for both. They're each some of my favorite characters in fiction and I can't emphatically say enough how much I want more stories about them.

I would really love to see a Crime Buster back up. Like the above posts said show some street scenes
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

The correct answer is Maxima.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    The correct answer is Maxima.
    I like the way you think!

Action I would like to focus on the Daily Planet, Lois & Jimmy mostly although I’m open to it focusing on others as well.

Superman I would like a back up that focuses on Metropolis as a whole, which seems to be happening since we’re getting stories about Bibio and Ambush Bug and the like. Focus on Steel and Natasha Irons, on Astro City type civilian stories, build up Metropolis as a setting.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I hope Steel can eventually just a get a new book or mini series than be reglated to backup features. DC needs to take more chances on goings again..

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    How is it a "list" thing? Back ups are usually enhancement features. Like you'll more commonly get a vignette on Pa or Lana, another citizen, perspective on Superman etc. Lois and Jimmy both are just coming out of respective maxi series and featuring them doesn't really expand metropolis. They're the same supporting cast members we see every time. Guardian and Black Racer are long time tethers to Kirby and Miracle works just as well, but they're also in pretty unfamiliar forms so their stories can go much differently. Gotta spice it up, y'know?
    I would have no problem with making one of the backups something that expands Metropolis, but having all of them seems like a dumb decision when you can ride the wave of Fraction & Leiber's Jimmy Olsen with another fresh take on Jimmy and try to make amends for Rucka shoving his whole head up his own butt instead of giving readers an honest to goodness Lois Lane book.

And then you give the third back-up slot to Guardian or Mister Miracle or Black Racer. But all of them? Why? If those stories were fantastic, it'd be a different story, but none of them have been particularly memorable.

If I had my druthers, there would be a regular Lois & Jimmy feature, and a rotating roster of backups featuring Power Girl, Krypto, Guardian, Maggie & Turpin, and more.